WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Pump necessary?

Thru hiked in 2013 and got Giardia, despite treating my water Aqua Mira. No system is perfect. But for all I know, I skipped treating for a source that looked legit and paid the price.

Planning to hike the southern half or more this summer - I'm not scared of you Giardia!

By the way my buddy Spike rarely treated his water the whole way, and didn't get sick. Go figure.

Thanks all - very helpful!!! I hope to have a great hike and maybe I'll meet some of you out there - leaving from Denver in June some time. (Btw as I said I do chemically treat. But will look into possibly adding filter - but not pump, thanks for saving me- to my gear list)

In the shadow of Segments 22 and 23 between Lake City & Silverton.

Quote Originally Posted by bearcreek View Post
    Lots of beaver in Colorado. Beaver carry Giardia.
    +1
    That's why it's called Beaver Fever. The water may be crystal clear, but a couple beaver ponds upstream that you cannot see put you at serious risk. Treat all your water no matter how "clean" it may look or you risk getting Beaver Fever (Giardia) and dropping off the trail and into a hospital. I have hiked with 3 people over the years that have contracted Giardia and it's no fun. SJ Ron

I used Aquamira and had no problem except for finding resupplies in the surprisingly ill-stocked outfitters in trail towns. Then I started using bleach with no problems. Normally I don't care a cup but after reading about shallow water sources in some places brought a small plastic cup for scooping and am glad I did. I knew not to bring a Steripen - completely unreliable and prone to failure based on my experience and that of many other hikers I've met.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++