WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Journal Entries
    Images

Default Break-Away Dog Collar

Does anyone have experience with the break-away dog collars? Like this:
    http://www.breakawaycollar.com

It seemed to me a good idea for my dog to be wearing a break-away collar for safety reasons while on a long hike.

my girlfriend had one for her dog. i thought it was pretty useless using the collar as an item to grip or clip a lead onto. had a way of coming undone at the most inconvenient times...

Images

it is a good idea for well trailed dogs. it you need to restraint your dog with the collar rather then commands then not a good idea.
    I'm so confused, I'm not sure if I lost my horse or found a rope.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by scudder View Post
    my girlfriend had one for her dog. i thought it was pretty useless using the collar as an item to grip or clip a lead onto. had a way of coming undone at the most inconvenient times...
    If you take a closer look at the collar, you'll see there are two rings. When you have your dog on leash, you attach thru both rings which prevents the breakaway.

well aware of the "restraint mode". Actually met the designer at a festival a couple years back.Just saying that using breakaway mode compromised our ability to restrain the dog (St Bernard) in some situations. Your results may vary. And your dog may be better behaved.

What most people don't understand is that there are two types if collars: one for identification, one for correction.

A properly sized identification collar (which no leash will ever be attached to), will fit high and tight on a dog's neck. Snugness level is approximately one-two fingers between the collar and the neck. This will prevent anything from getting snagged when your dog manages to break free and run away, such as sticks and tree limbs, fences, etc.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by scudder View Post
    well aware of the "restraint mode". Actually met the designer at a festival a couple years back.Just saying that using breakaway mode compromised our ability to restrain the dog (St Bernard) in some situations. Your results may vary. And your dog may be better behaved.
    Okay, I get that. Thanks for that info. I can understand if the collar breaks away, then even clipped thru the 2 rings, it wouldn't be as good. Most of the time he'll be leashed via the attachment on his dog pack. He's a 43-lb English Springer Spaniel and a therapy dog, reasonably well behaved, but not perfect. I want the breakaway for those time he's off leash and I don't want him to hang himself. S**t happens. I'm being cautious.

Journal Entries

Dogs on trail should never be in a situation where a break away collar is ever needed - hunting dogs maybe. If it is needed your dog, or the dog's owner is not ready to be on trail.

The exception to this is the properly trained trail dog, however such a dog in general will never need such a collar.
    Last edited by Starchild; 03-07-2015 at 19:26.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Starchild View Post
    Dogs on trail should never be in a situation where a break away collar is ever needed - hunting dogs maybe. If it is needed your dog, or the dog's owner is not ready to be on trail.

The exception to this is the properly trained trail dog, however such a dog in general will never need such a collar.
    Many situations in which the unexpected can happen, such as dog tags getting caught on something, two dogs playing and one snags the dog collar of the other, etc., etc.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Starchild View Post

You really should stay off the dog threads, Your nothing but negative comments are getting old.

++ New Posts ++