WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Journal Entries
    Images

I got my dog a Ruffwear Approach. http://www.ruffwear.com/Approach-Pack-Dog-Pack
    A local outfitter thought he would take a medium--he's a 43-lb Springer Spaniel--but actually when I measured him, and according to Ruffwear's website, he took a small http://www.ruffwear.com/dog-pack-fit-guide. He seems to like it. He's also an enthusiastic dog and the pack didn't appear to slow him down a bit.

Thanks! I'm still a little worried about the straps rubbing, but we'll check that out.

A couple of you mentioned a pad for the dog to sleep on. I am curious because I have never used a pad for my dog before. Is it to get them off the ground for the cold weather or is it primarily just for comfort? I am just curious is all. Thanks!

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by 2dogs1girl View Post
    A couple of you mentioned a pad for the dog to sleep on. I am curious because I have never used a pad for my dog before. Is it to get them off the ground for the cold weather or is it primarily just for comfort? I am just curious is all. Thanks!
    Primarily it's an insulating layer to keep them off the cold ground, however it is also very useful when a dog knows that the pad is their bed and and that it is where they should lay down. It is also a very effective way to keep them from trying to use my sleeping bag or pad as their bed. My dog is trained with a "place" command, so if i put down her pad at any point during the day I can say the command and she rather gladly lays down on it, this is very convenient when I am around others and don't want her sniffing around or bothering people who are eating.
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

I sure respect any dog owner's decision regarding her four-legged helper. I'm blessed with a very strong Malmut-Chow mix, now six years old, with plenty of trail experience. We did 200 continuous miles on the CT last year and will complete the 300 east of that this year. Not to mention numerous miles on the GET in NM. Buddy weighs in around 90+ and is strong as a small horse. Still I was concerned how he'd hold up to the daily grind on the CT. We hiked the western segments through the San Juans, so lots of ups and downs. He did great.

Buddy got a new pack for the adventure. A Wolfpack Bonzai, and we both really thought it an improvement over his old REI pack. Rides well, only one strap under the dog near his belly. Check their wares out.

Some dog breeds (like Buddy's) have a long history of packing. Native Americans in the southwest (and elsewhere) harnessed dogs with travois or packs, depending on the terrain. My point is, while not appropriate for all dogs, some breeds, some dogs, really love to carry a pack. I know mine does.

Now, my little 14-year-old terrier mix, that's a dog of another color, so to speak. Buddy carries her sweater and sleeping pad. And she only does overnighters now.

So, to answer your question, maximum weight for Buddy is 15-20 lbs at beginning of a 5-day stretch. He requires no sleeping gear, but he carries all his food, a drinking dish, two 2-Lt Platy's just in case of a dry stretch, a leash, and my rain gear. Having rain gear in there puffs out the pack and allows quick access. Oh, and he does carry trail garbage we create or find. He's an all around super trail friend. Once or twice, in very dry stretches, Buddy has carried more weight, but prefer not to do so. Those 2-lt Platy's are not filled unless absolutely necessary. He doesn't seem to mind carrying them, though, if he has to do so.

I know we love to pamper our dogs. It's a means of showing our love. But dogs are by nature tough animals. Love them and work them, that's my philosophy. But as in all things trail, HYOH!
    "Believe you and I sing tiny and wise
    and could if we had to
    eat stone and go on.” (R. Hugo)

Quote Originally Posted by Sarcasm the elf View Post
    Primarily it's an insulating layer to keep them off the cold ground, however it is also very useful when a dog knows that the pad is their bed and and that it is where they should lay down. It is also a very effective way to keep them from trying to use my sleeping bag or pad as their bed. My dog is trained with a "place" command, so if i put down her pad at any point during the day I can say the command and she rather gladly lays down on it, this is very convenient when I am around others and don't want her sniffing around or bothering people who are eating.
    Thanks so much! Very helpful!

Quote Originally Posted by BDWren View Post
    I sure respect any dog owner's decision regarding her four-legged helper. I'm blessed with a very strong Malmut-Chow mix, now six years old, with plenty of trail experience. We did 200 continuous miles on the CT last year and will complete the 300 east of that this year. Not to mention numerous miles on the GET in NM. Buddy weighs in around 90+ and is strong as a small horse. Still I was concerned how he'd hold up to the daily grind on the CT. We hiked the western segments through the San Juans, so lots of ups and downs. He did great.

Buddy got a new pack for the adventure. A Wolfpack Bonzai, and we both really thought it an improvement over his old REI pack. Rides well, only one strap under the dog near his belly. Check their wares out.

Some dog breeds (like Buddy's) have a long history of packing. Native Americans in the southwest (and elsewhere) harnessed dogs with travois or packs, depending on the terrain. My point is, while not appropriate for all dogs, some breeds, some dogs, really love to carry a pack. I know mine does.

Now, my little 14-year-old terrier mix, that's a dog of another color, so to speak. Buddy carries her sweater and sleeping pad. And she only does overnighters now.

So, to answer your question, maximum weight for Buddy is 15-20 lbs at beginning of a 5-day stretch. He requires no sleeping gear, but he carries all his food, a drinking dish, two 2-Lt Platy's just in case of a dry stretch, a leash, and my rain gear. Having rain gear in there puffs out the pack and allows quick access. Oh, and he does carry trail garbage we create or find. He's an all around super trail friend. Once or twice, in very dry stretches, Buddy has carried more weight, but prefer not to do so. Those 2-lt Platy's are not filled unless absolutely necessary. He doesn't seem to mind carrying them, though, if he has to do so.

I know we love to pamper our dogs. It's a means of showing our love. But dogs are by nature tough animals. Love them and work them, that's my philosophy. But as in all things trail, HYOH!
    You got pics of your dog and pack during a hike?

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Sarcasm the elf View Post

My dog is trained with the “place” command too, but I’ve not used it for an extended stay. That’s a good idea to keep him from visiting people too much. He’s a very social dog and like to greet people, but that won’t always be welcomed.

What kind of pad are you using for your dog? I’m on the verge of getting a pad and I’ve been considering the Ruffwear Highlands Bed http://www.ruffwear.com/Highlands-Bed?sc=2&category=17.

Quote Originally Posted by BDWren View Post

Okay, so you dog is carrying from 16% to 22% of his body weight (more or less). Godd to know. I like the idea of the rain gear to puff out his pack and allow quick access. Smart. What kind of platy are you using? I’m starting to look into getting a couple of those. Can you provide a link?

Quote Originally Posted by bemental View Post
    I appreciate your concern, I truly do. My dog is more than an animal to me, he's a companion and helper - and by federal law a service dog as well. ht.
    Would you you be so kind as to refer me to which specific "federal law " designates your dog as a service animal, and what exactly you had to do to receive this designation?

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by CCCCAT View Post

My dog is trained with the “place” command too, but I’ve not used it for an extended stay. That’s a good idea to keep him from visiting people too much. He’s a very social dog and like to greet people, but that won’t always be welcomed.

What kind of pad are you using for your dog? I’m on the verge of getting a pad and I’ve been considering the Ruffwear Highlands Bed http://www.ruffwear.com/Highlands-Bed?sc=2&category=17.

I didn't buy anything special, I use my old Thermarest z rest foam pad folded in half, works very well for my 50lb dog. I could probably just cut it in half and only use half the pad for her, but I still use the pad myself sometimes.
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

sometimes my dog liked to sleep outside the tent on some soft grass, i would leave the tent flap open in case she wanted to come inside. inside it was whatever made her comfortable, sometimes she'd be on my Z-Rest, or on her therm-a-rest, or sometimes using both with me up against the tent wall :-)

+1 for the Ruff wear approach pack in xxs for my -20lb jrt...no more than 2 lbs loaded...his fleece jacket in ziplock one side and treats in other side.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by John B View Post
    Would you you be so kind as to refer me to which specific "federal law " designates your dog as a service animal, and what exactly you had to do to receive this designation?
    http://www.ada.gov/service_animals_2010.htm

No certification is given or required, but if your dog (miniature pony?) meets the stated requirements then you're all set.

I'm being terse, but that's truely all that is required. If you're a trainer of service dogs, or merely a handler of one, you know how much more involved the process is.

Just a question what do people do in the Smokies with there dog since they are not allowed ? I don't see any reason why a dog can carry a small pack with few lbs in it.

I took my dog on a hike this weekend and carried his 3/4 length zrest, 3 thin fleece blankets, food, and water. He carried a fleece and a jacket. Temps were in the 20s and he is almost 10 so I wanted to keep him as comfortable as possible.

You mentioned taking your dog on the CT.

Was it hard to hitch into towns with your dog?

I never require my dog to carry a pack when we hike. I feel I'm asking more than enough just having him put in the mileage. YMMV
    I also carry a pad for my pup to sleep on. It's made up of a sheet of reflectix and a DIY cover I made which has Tyvek on one side and fleece on the other. The reflectix is my sit pad during the day and at night I slip it into the Tyvek/fleece sleeve for my dog! It weighs next to nothing and serves us both well!

Well said.....Have fun!

Well said ...Have fun !!!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by bemental View Post
    No offense taken :-P

Probably has something to do with the six-month work up we've done to get to this weight, the fact he is so young, or the two veterinarians that are supportive of, and tracking his progress.

What does your dog do all day, sit around in a climate controlled house?

Is thru hiking good for *anyone*?
    Well said....Have Fun !

I'd suggest finding a forum for your dog's breed -- there's almost always a thread debating pack weights for them. That group of people will have more specific knowledge (for example I have a ridgeback/lab mix so the lab owners had more extensive knowledge about hip dysplasia while the ridgeback owners took into account his super long legs)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++