WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    Images

My 45lb Aussie/Border Collie mix carries about 5 pounds including her Palisades pack, reflectix sleeping pad, quilt, her bowl, and her tie out.

I carry her food and water and first aid items.

My dog @84lb. has never been over 7lb. If he needs more I carry it, if his blanket gets wet I carry it.P1010735.JPGP1010782.JPG

Axel uses a ruffware, its a great pack that fits him very well.P1010709.JPG

After my last summer my dog got raw sores from the pack rubbing just behind his front legs. I've since ditched his pack and just carry his gear. It's only about 1.5-2lbs including his grub for a 4 day trip. If we're doing 20+ mpd I'd rather carry it then weight him down as he's only 19lbs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by bemental View Post
    My pup is a 19-month lab/shepherd mix and is around 90 lbs right now. We're starting our AT thru on Monday.

His loadout:
    -pack and pouches: 3 lbs
    -2 quarts of water: 4.4 lbs
    -3 days of food: 6.9 lbs
    -battery/solar: 2 lbs

Total: 16.32lbs (18% of bodyweight)

The rest is on me (extra food, earn cleaning solution, food). Depending on how well he takes to the trail we'll swap out who drops weight first (when he eats), but it'll probably be him to save his puppy paws from all that walking.

Good for you man! looks well put together, I load ward up he is a 8 year old lab/ pit F1 and has walked about 1500 miles with aproxx 10-12 lbs in his pack. Dog freaks and softies will bicker but bottom line, dogs have been used for work as long as man has owned them. They enjoy it, my dog gets extremely excited when I pull his pack out, to the point that I have to hide it in the closet or he gets disappointed when he sees it , and we don't go hiking. He is 8 years old, and shows no signs of pain or joint issues, still runs like hell. The pack has tamed him on the trail, I thought (in the beginning) "if he has enough energy to run this trail 2-3 times what Im walking it, he can carry his own stuff. It has settled him down, and made him a great hiking buddy.
    Trail Miles: 4,980.5
    AT Map 1: Complete 2013-2021
    Sheltowee Trace: Complete 2020-2023
    Pinhoti Trail: Complete 2023-2024
    Foothills Trail: 47.9
    AT Map 2: 279.4
    BMT: 52.7
    CDT: 85.4

Images

P5030010.JPG

Here's a photo of my wife with our 90 pound Shepherd who loves the outdoors.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by saltysack View Post
    +1 for the Ruff wear approach pack in xxs for my -20lb jrt...no more than 2 lbs loaded...his fleece jacket in ziplock one side and treats in other side.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    case in point 'Canoe'....you can't judge a dog's happiness by the look on his face..........or maybe this was a major leap!

Quote Originally Posted by Hoofit View Post
    case in point 'Canoe'....you can't judge a dog's happiness by the look on his face..........or maybe this was a major leap!
    I actually ditched the pack after a section last August. He got rubbed raw under his arm pit. For our FHT thru a few weeks back I decided that it's really easier for me to carry all of his stuff as well. To be fair to the ruffwear pack he's almost to big for the xxs but doubt I'll shell out the $ for another as I've got plenty of capacity in my ula circuit. I really should switch out to the ohm 2.0. He likes to hike more than anything! I wouldn't bring him if he didn't enjoy and could easily carry him at 19lbs if need be.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by saltysack View Post
    I actually ditched the pack after a section last August. He got rubbed raw under his arm pit. For our FHT thru a few weeks back I decided that it's really easier for me to carry all of his stuff as well. To be fair to the ruffwear pack he's almost to big for the xxs but doubt I'll shell out the $ for another as I've got plenty of capacity in my ula circuit. I really should switch out to the ohm 2.0. He likes to hike more than anything! I wouldn't bring him if he didn't enjoy and could easily carry him at 19lbs if need be.
    great dogs for the outdoors them ankle nippers!

My son has a chocolate lab that loves to hang with us at the beach and leap in the waves....I took him on one of my long walks, about thirteen miles and he wiped out at about nine or ten miles, no pack, just wasn' t conditioned for it I guess...didn't want the water that I had carried for him or the snacks, just needed to lie down for twenty minutes or so.

conditioning is so important for dogs, not just us humans...

Quote Originally Posted by Hoofit View Post
    great dogs for the outdoors them ankle nippers!

My son has a chocolate lab that loves to hang with us at the beach and leap in the waves....I took him on one of my long walks, about thirteen miles and he wiped out at about nine or ten miles, no pack, just wasn' t conditioned for it I guess...didn't want the water that I had carried for him or the snacks, just needed to lie down for twenty minutes or so.

conditioning is so important for dogs, not just us humans...
    Yep....he's conditioned all year....pulls my big arse down the road on a skateboard weekly...he's 19lbs and I'm 215lbs....just recently he about killed a coon that was waaaaaay bigger than him....lil firecracker....

Journal Entries
    Images

My Brokie pooch can handle all his own weight in his own granite gear ruff wear packs size medium.
    That is for three days of food a small thing of mushers secret and two 20 ounce water bottles as well as snacks.
    He weighs in A 53 pounds and is well under his comfortable load weight.
    He is American Staffordshire Terrior(rednose).

Images

I honestly only put dog food in my girl's pack, and only half of it (depending on how long we're out). She likes to have a pack and feel useful, but I don't want to put too much weight on her- goldens have high potential for hip problems, and she has no way to tell me that her load is too heavy. But we also haven't been out too much together yet, still need to perfect our system!
    2010 AT NoBo Thru "attempt" (guess 1,700 miles didn't quite get me all the way through ;) )
    Various adventures in Siberia 2016
    Adventures past and present!
    (and maybe 2018 PCT NoBo)

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
++ New Posts ++