WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Section Hike from Abol Bridge to Flagstaff Lake, ME

Anybody done this section of the AT late May, early June? I am considering bringing my dog with me, but am primarily concerned about the water levels in some of the faster moving streams and rivers. Any thoughts/advice???

NE AT 733 of 733 miles & Long Trail End-to-End Tramper Al's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Grimmy
    Anybody done this section of the AT late May, early June? I am considering bringing my dog with me, but am primarily concerned about the water levels in some of the faster moving streams and rivers. Any thoughts/advice???
    Hi Grimmy,

This past Spring, over 3 days around May 21st, a friend and I hiked the section from Flagstaff Lake to Monson. That's about 55 miles out of your 155. We timed our trip for the first weekend that the ferrryman was operating at the Kennebec, and you might want to consider that factor in your scheduling as well. Note also that we were about 1 week early for breakfast at Harrison's Pierce Pond Camps.

It rained much of our time out there, and that plus the season gave us some pretty high fords to cross, but nothing extreme. Our deepest swift ford was about mid-thigh or so. The trail was quite saturated too, of course, with several stretches of standing water. Expect to be wet. Of course the conditions for a given week in May will vary quite a bit from year to year, depending on snowpack, spring rains, and temperatures.

We met a couple of southbounders who had come through the 100 Mile in the days prior. One of them actually detoured off the trail around White Cap because of quite a bit of residual snow at elevation.

All in all, I found it to be a fine time to walk the trail through there and enjoyed my trip very much.

I hope that helps a bit . . .
    Last edited by Tramper Al; 11-03-2005 at 21:11.
    - Tramper Al

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Grimmy
    Water levels will likely be high. But many ford them every year without mishap. Just be cautious. Take the time to move up stream, or down, to find a safe crossing. Carry maps to help you decide which direction a safe crossing may be likely.

Finally remember that streams drain rapidly in Maine. Be prepared to spend an extra day or two to allow streams to become safer.

Guessing wrong can occasionally be fatal -- but that is very unlikely. But loss of packs and equipment is possible -- even likely. Once while working on the trail south of Monson I saw a girl walking by with neither pack nor shoes.

Her query? "Where might my pack end up?" All I could suggest was "somewhere between here and the Atlantic Ocean." The latter for those who haven't looked at maps was 150 miles away, as crows fly.

BTW. Never cross streams without wearing boots. Wet boots are far preferable to slippery rocks in fast moving streams. My technique is to remove boots and socks. Put socks in pack. Put boots on feet. Cross Stream. Drain boots. Replace socks and boots. Hope for sun and dry trail until boots and wet boot-soaked socks to dry.

Weary
    Last edited by weary; 11-03-2005 at 21:12.

++ New Posts ++