WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    GA-ME 2011
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Matt65 View Post
    Forest Service policy states that there will be no blazing in wilderness areas, not even if it is a National Scenic Trail
    So the blazes will be removed from the AT where it crosses Wilderness Areas too?
    "Chainsaw" GA-ME 2011

The problem here seems to be one of interpretation, if in fact what we are talking about is The Wilderness Act of 1964 http://wilderness.nps.gov/faqnew.cfm

If you read thru there, there is nothing wrong with blazing, at least in my interpretation; however, my opinion doesn't count, it's left up to some bureaucrat.

This really is exactly like the debates we have here on what constitutes a Thru-hiker.

This really goes way beyond blazes, because if you read the above link you could easily interpret it as saying that bridges are not permitted in designated Wilderness areas, or even those cables and hand-holds, like what you see in the White Mountain National Forest, not to mention privies and shelters.

Then again there are sentences that allow one to interpret those things as perfectly allowable...The problem is when you get purists reading and interpreting the act. It's always them damn purists screwing things up

Such a bad idea. Blazes will keep people safer. During the fall, with new leaves on the ground, trails are very difficult to follow. Not to mention the "rock gardens"...

Another solution looking for a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Starchild View Post
    A lot of times they are painted over with tree color paint, then allowed to 'fade away'
    I can understand letting blazes fade away, but it's just plain stupid, IMHO, to paint over the blaze. What's the point?
    Time is but the stream I go afishin' in.
    Thoreau

The Dugger Wilderness was still blazed this weekend - Hopefully no one with Brown paint reads this.

The more I talk to people about this it seems almost all are frustrated with the removal. I have seen several side trails pop up since the blaze removal along some sections. This is a problem. I think in time we will see the blazes return.

I hiked the Pinhoti two weekends ago from Adams Gap to the Chinabee trail. Luckily, I had the trail and map loaded onto Gaia GPS on my phone. I got "off trail" at least twice. There was a small sign I missed where the trail turns off a logging road. The sign is hidden behind a bush. I went about 200 yards too far before realizing I was off trail. The second time was on the rocky hill leading up to the overlook (stairway to heaven?). After getting back on trail, I decided to stop at each marker and search for the next faded marker. It was a slow and tedious process. In a few months, it will not be possible to see the trail route in that area.

To be honest, if we are that concerned about trail markings ruining the wilderness, the trail needs to be closed in that area. Someone hiking in the fall of after dark will get lost. We can take that money from the park service personnel that are reassigned to another area and spend it on other things.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I find a lot of funny little things about LNT, but another one is this issue of carrying a map/compass to preclude the need to not blaze trails. I always carry a map and compass, but has nothing to do with blazes. What's funny is that another of their principles are to stay on established trails, so as to not negatively impact non-trail areas. https://lnt.org/learn/7-principles

Excerpt:
    Use a map and compass to eliminate the use of marking paint, rock cairns or flagging.

Concentrate use on existing trails and campsites.
    Walk single file in the middle of the trail, even when wet or muddy.

- See more at: https://lnt.org/learn/7-principles#sthash.szrwoudU.dpuf
    However, you can not stay on a trail using a map/compass, unless of course there are tons of reference marks, which of course that's crazy. Map and compass is for getting you from point A to B, not keeping you on a narrow path.

Bottom line, if you want people to use maps and compass as normal means of traveling thru the wilderness there will not be one trail.

Quote Originally Posted by perdidochas View Post
    I can understand letting blazes fade away, but it's just plain stupid, IMHO, to paint over the blaze. What's the point?
    Exactly, heres another example from my Cave Creek, Nubin, Pinhoti loop hike last week.

Tundracamper is so right. This is beyond silly and what a gross waste of time and resources.

Journal Entries

youd think the forest service would know that really only pine and cedar and fir trees are brown barked, basically softwoods.
    The typical hardwoods are more gray/white with brown underside/inside/edges to bark.
    They have brown blazed the trail now.
    Yep, its stupid

to fix this they should probably cut down all blazed trees and remediate the areas.
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 12-01-2015 at 09:35.

All this hubbub about a freakin' rectangle of paint on a tree every 1/4 mile because it's "ruining" some Generation Snowflake's "wilderness experience". Wait'll they get a lawsuit from some yuppies because their iPhone battery died and they couldn't find their way back to their Range Rover.

Your government doing what it does best.

I find it amusing that I was expecting the Skyway Trail on my loop hike to be the hardest to follow. After getting lost on the Pinhoti twice, the well-marked Skyway was great. Plus, that trail is mostly cut into a hill and easier to see.

I agree that hiking with a map is not practical if you are supposed to stay on the trail.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

One would think to leave the blazes alone so a hiker doesn't wander off trail and create damage. It's a small painted blaze, not an added reflective sign pointing in the correct direction. Now that would be a true distraction.

Does this mean we're brown blazing now?

I just returned form a two-night hike there. IMHO, it's a ridiculous policy. The leaves had recently fallen and covered the trail in many places. Going up the Pinhoti from Adams Gap we missed where the trail turns off an old logging road and had to backtrack. Fortunately I had a GPS and we were able to bushwack back to the trail. On the way back down Chinnabee the way was just as obscured in many places. However, the cell phone service is pretty good. I suppose that the Forrest Service won't mind the calls to come rescue lost newbs.

Given what I can find on this issue, it appears wilderness areas can be managed differently in various states, but do have a common floor when it comes to rules, regulations, and philosophy. From what I can see, or extrapolate from the vague information I can find, blazes may be akin or considered to be akin to "signs" (the administrating agency would make that call I presume), which are typically frowned upon much like mechanical vehicles or equipment. The best "sort of" definition I can find is this.

"Like other evidence of modern life, signs detract from the wilderness experience. Map reading, compass, and orienteering skills promote a closer relationship to the land. There should be no mileage markers, interpretive signs or place name signs within wilderness. Signs may be a management necessity at some trail junctions, and some temporary signs may be necessary to change damaging use patterns. Necessary signs should be constructed to blend with the landscape."

I do tend to agree that wilderness should mean wilderness. No guide posts, no mile markers, etc., however there are legitimate arguments for the use of blazes or signs at critical junctions for example. Beyond that, a map and compass/GPS probably should be in play. However this is just my opinion. Some people would prefer a blaze that can be seen from the previous blaze point and mileage notations in wilderness areas. The balance point perhaps being the worn treadway with some obscuring during leaf drop and snow cover during parts of the year.

I found the link to the GPS tracks that I use on the Pinhoti. It has been helpful a few times already.

http://www.gpsfiledepot.com/maps/view/53

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
++ New Posts ++