WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Longest distance between shelters

Hey gang,

What's the longest distance between any two shelters on the trail?

dp

Images

Not sure if it's the longest, but I recall there is a stretch in NJ/NY of about 30 or 40 miles.

Sure someone will have better information for you.
    Last edited by Lyle; 03-09-2015 at 00:23.

31.2 miles between Kirkridge, PA and Brink Road Shelter, NJ. Then a 32.2 between West Mountain Shelter and RPH shelter, NY. There are a number in the 20 mile range.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

For a list of shelters with distances to the next shelter, check out this database.
    (http://www.sophiaknows.com/atdb/shel...owtowns=&sort=)

Journal Entries

Also note that many of these long stretches have things like town access I other facilities to stay over such as Greymore pavilion for the above West to RPH.

Quote Originally Posted by jdunthorn View Post
    For a list of shelters with distances to the next shelter, check out this database.
    (http://www.sophiaknows.com/atdb/shel...owtowns=&sort=)
    Nice resource. Here is the frequency distribution. Those two already cited are really outliers.

Capture.JPG

Images

as if attempting to only ever stop at shelters was in any way shape or form a wise idea... it isnt, and theres no other rationale reason for posing such a question.

that said, those 2 stretches in NY/NJ are as far as i know the answer. however, as others have pointed out, its not like there arent a ton of places to stop for the night in both those stretches. i would say the real answer (real as in longest stretch with truly nowhere to stop, which is what any person reasonably approaching a hike would ask) i would guess its the presidential range, especially if you dont count the AMC huts and discount things that are a decent distance off trail.

if you do count the amc huts, then i dont know.... but all i do know is unless youre planning something seriously foolish theres no reason to bother concerning yourself with those 2 sections in ny/nj.

what time is breakfast & dinner served at the shelters? check in and check out times? do any shelters have hot tubs and Wifi service? also, who do we contact to request a King non-smoking? somebody told me the AT ridge runners come thru before evening and put out chocolate candies on the hikers' pillows, I'm looking forward to that too!

Quote Originally Posted by tdoczi View Post
    i would say the real answer (real as in longest stretch with truly nowhere to stop, which is what any person reasonably approaching a hike would ask) i would guess its the presidential range, especially if you dont count the AMC huts and discount things that are a decent distance off trail.

if you do count the amc huts, then i dont know.... but all i do know is unless youre planning something seriously foolish theres no reason to bother concerning yourself with those 2 sections in ny/nj.
    I agree with this. Most of the available shelters are quite far from the trail, and there are few places to set up a tent.

Quote Originally Posted by Odd Man Out View Post
    Nice resource. Here is the frequency distribution. Those two already cited are really outliers.

Capture.JPG
    Hey, that's a really handy chart, Odd Man Out. Thanks for compiling and posting it. Looks like 9 miles is the mode and probably the median distance as well.
    Life Member: ATC, ALDHA, Superior Hiking Trail Association

++ New Posts ++