WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Probable Weather in May/June Leaving Harpers Ferry Northward

Hoping for some help with clothing to wear for hiking northward from Harpers Ferry and leaving May 3rd. I'm hoping to able to wear short sleeves, shorts and bring a rain jacket with rain pants if a cold rain comes. Thanks!

Journal Entries
    Images

I'm hoping to hike out of HF @ the same time nobo for a few hundred miles. I'm thinking the same on your clothing choices and as always with smartwool long johns, thick wool camp socks & a puffy jacket in my dry clothes bag just in case.
    Take Time to Watch the Trees Dance with The Wind........Then Join In........

Maybe we'll get someone from Maryland/PA area will give us a weather prediction, WornoutBoots!

I'm guessing very warm to down right hot.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Images

Expect that in early May at Harpers Ferry the daily highs can easily be in the mid-70s, even up to the mid-80s, while the lows will be down to the low-50s.

This link will give you an idea based on 2014 http://www.accuweather.com/en/us/har...onyr=5/01/2014
    igne et ferrum est potentas
    "In the beginning, all America was Virginia." -​William Byrd

Thanks, Tuckahoe!

Quote Originally Posted by Ladyofthewoods View Post
    Hoping for some help with clothing to wear for hiking northward from Harpers Ferry and leaving May 3rd. I'm hoping to able to wear short sleeves, shorts and bring a rain jacket with rain pants if a cold rain comes. Thanks!
    Hey There (not) Lady of the Woods! I used to live in New England and now I live very close to HF and can tell you that the days can be very warm and the nights can get kind of cold. The norm however is usually pretty nice until the big heat of late June/July. Cool nights are possible throughout the NOBO portion of the flip as we make our way through summer and into early fall-ish weather of August in NH/Maine. Big T-storms pop up frequently in May/June as warm fronts collide with cold fronts right over the ridges! I myself will be keeping my puffy jacket for nights and a rain jacket/umbrella for the blowy storms. A hiker from last year said she wore her puffy or fleece at night in camp throughout her hike, but it probably depends on how hot or cold you run. Also, I want to remind you to keep ticks in mind, long pants and sleeves in grassy areas. Lots of ticks in MD and PA. Really all the way until the high country of New England. I just sent my clothes off to be treated at Insect Shield. Lasts for like 70 washings. My two cents! See you out there!

Quote Originally Posted by Treehugger View Post
    Hey There (not) Lady of the Woods! I used to live in New England and now I live very close to HF and can tell you that the days can be very warm and the nights can get kind of cold. The norm however is usually pretty nice until the big heat of late June/July. Cool nights are possible throughout the NOBO portion of the flip as we make our way through summer and into early fall-ish weather of August in NH/Maine. Big T-storms pop up frequently in May/June as warm fronts collide with cold fronts right over the ridges! I myself will be keeping my puffy jacket for nights and a rain jacket/umbrella for the blowy storms. A hiker from last year said she wore her puffy or fleece at night in camp throughout her hike, but it probably depends on how hot or cold you run. Also, I want to remind you to keep ticks in mind, long pants and sleeves in grassy areas. Lots of ticks in MD and PA. Really all the way until the high country of New England. I just sent my clothes off to be treated at Insect Shield. Lasts for like 70 washings. My two cents! See you out there!
    Good post! Me, too. Basic warm weather gear w/ rain shell and with a decent bag and my down anorak for extra. Right now I am waffling between my down quilt good to about 25F, or my 40F sleeping bag.

Hadn't heard of 'Insect Shield, I was gonna use Permethrin. Can you elaborate?

I also just ordered 12 cases of canned tuna. You guys mind helping me carry some of it?

Quote Originally Posted by brancher View Post
    Good post! Me, too. Basic warm weather gear w/ rain shell and with a decent bag and my down anorak for extra. Right now I am waffling between my down quilt good to about 25F, or my 40F sleeping bag.

Hadn't heard of 'Insect Shield, I was gonna use Permethrin. Can you elaborate?
    http://www.insectshield.com/PDF/IS_Y..._3-11-2015.pdf

Thanks, Treehugger! That helps a lot. Yes, I'm pretty careful about ticks. The first pretty day I have available, I'm doing the treatment for the permethrin on my clothes, etc.

Agree with Tree Hugger. I would bring shorts and a T-shirt to hike in, light long sleeve top and bottom for camp, rain gear, and a light puffy.

++ New Posts ++