WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Going back to heavier tents . . .

When I first started backpacking about 5 years ago my first tent was a cheap Kelty 2P tent that weighed about 4.5 pounds. Then I did the usual thing trying to get lighter and tried tarptents and others. Several of these were 1P tents and single wall to save weight. It was and is nice only having to carry 2 pounds for a tent but the longer I've backpacked I've come to the conclusion I would rather carry a 3 or 4 pound tent that is actually livable. Now I'm very tall so my situation would be easier if I were short but I've never found a 1P tent that is comfortable, especially if you have to spend any time at all in it especially when trying to live in the rain. I also live where ticks are prevalent so an enclosed tent is a must. I live on the east coast and tried the single wall thing but at the end of the day I want two walls. Wiping condensation off my fly when it is 35 out so I can move around my tent without getting wet is not fun. I've come to the conclusion that by the time you get two walls, a bug proof inner then with enough room to not just sleep but spread out, tall enough I can set up and stretch out, maybe store your pack in the tent and organize gear you are going to have 3 or 4 pounds of tent and I don't mind carrying it. In some ways I feel like I'm back where I started after 5 years.
    Anyone else go through this process?

Images

No. Even though I'm tall. Ever consider getting a 2P, double wall tent that weighs 2.5 pounds or so? Plenty of them out there.

I'm very happy with my lightheart solong 6. its a cross between double and single wall....weighs 2lbs and very roomy for me..not tall but stocky...5'11...215lbs plus all gear and my dog or like CR said try out one of the many double walls that may between 2-3lbs...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What, you mean like the a BA Fly Creek, Seedhouse, or slater or the similar tents from REI has been making for exampe? I tried the BA slater 2P the "bigger" version of the fly creek, that tent sucked. It needed as many stakes as my non-freestanding TT Stratospire 2, the headroom sucks and if that was the length then I wouldn't even want to try the fly creek that is like 8 inches shorter. Not to mention the time I tried it, it snowed and you can't open the vestibule without getting rain or snow in. Pretty much everyone one of those 2 to 2.5 pound tents has to make some trade off to get to that weight.

I saw a solong 6 in person and got in it. I could not sit up from lying down without hitting the fly as I'm 6'7". There was no way by the time I would have been on a 2.5 inch mattress plus taking into account the loft of your sleeping bag that my sleeping bag would not have touched the fly. Plus there was no mesh between the fly and the groundsheet like in Tarptents (think Rainbow, contrail etc ...) Any condensation would drip right down onto the groundsheet and pool. I was not impressed at all.

Well dam...6'7"...is ur nick name jr or tiny? u need a 4 person tent!!! Yea the lhg tent is only fairly tall in the very center as slopes pretty steep..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bluebird

With respect to the original post: I'm planning 2 sections on the AT, the first in 2016, and I am looking for a tent. Since comfort will be important--I am 70 years old, I am looking for comfort in a tent, and I'm thinking that the Moment DW (34 oz) might fill the bill. Yes, I have decided against tarps & quilts andsingle-walled construction.

So, my question: Should I look at other offerings?

Thanks!

Images

Are you willing to carry a 9 lb tent?
    The Hilleberg Keron 3 sounds like what you're looking for.
    http://www.hilleberg.com/home/products/keron/keron3.php

I'm carrying a Dowson (Load Mountain) tent for my thru. Unfortunately, it's 4.4 pounds but for $40 bucks on Ebay, I figured I'd try it. Tested it out in the back yard and it's really warm and seals off the cold very well.

Also, hosed it down for quite a while and it seems pretty water tight. Not in love with the whole poundage thing, but for the price I'll call it a win. More to come on my thru this year tho... Haha we'll see.

Garlic
    Images

No, I have never reversed any weight reduction I've made in my pack. But I made changes very slowly, over a decade, changes that fit my traveling style well. And I have not made any more changes in quite a few years, so I think I've bottomed out. My Tarptent Contrail, Gossamer Gear pack, and excellent down bag (or quilt depending on the trip) have been working just fine in many conditions on many trails.
    "Throw a loaf of bread and a pound of tea in an old sack and jump over the back fence." John Muir on expedition planning

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Cadenza View Post
    Are you willing to carry a 9 lb tent?
    The Hilleberg Keron 3 sounds like what you're looking for.
    http://www.hilleberg.com/home/products/keron/keron3.php

Actually, the Kaitum 3 is the same length, but wider than the Keron 3. More square feet and a longer diagonal for the OP at 6'7". A pound and a half lighter too. What a deal!
    http://us.hilleberg.com/products/red...um/Kaitum3.php

Wayne
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Venchka View Post
    Actually, the Kaitum 3 is the same length, but wider than the Keron 3. More square feet and a longer diagonal for the OP at 6'7". A pound and a half lighter too. What a deal!
    http://us.hilleberg.com/products/red...um/Kaitum3.php

Wayne

Good point!
    I tend to forget about the "Red Label" lighter weight Hilly's, but for some people they may be just the ticket.
    The Nallo 3 is lighter at 5.75 lbs and the Nallo 2 even lighter at 5.25 lbs.
    But one thing to be aware of with the Nallo in cold weather, you must be careful not to let your sleeping bag touch the wall at the tapered non-vestibule end as condensation will get the bag wet.
    You could go "Yellow Label" and the Anjan 2 is just under 4 lbs.
    Even the lighter weight Hilly is still a more substantial shelter than most other tents on the market.
    Trade-off,......the Hilly is not cheap.

There's a market out there for a XXlong 2 person tent, tall/big people, couples with a dog or child, 1 person with a couple of dogs, winter extra gear. I don't think it would too difficult to adjust a pattern for a longer tent or add an additional section of ridge pole to make it work.

Images

I'm quite sure many/most of the cottage gear makers can/will do custom design, at least a modification of their current designs. I would definitely choose one or two you like, and see if they would work with you for a reasonable up-charge.

A few folks over at BPL say the Lunar Duo is great for those very tall folks. Also, for me at 6'1", the Solong 6 seems like a palace and assuredly will accommodate taller folks (and it's only 32 oz). The Tarptents can also be huge - Dbl Rainbow, Stratosphire, etc.

If you wanna avoid condensation in the East, I hope you are successful (nobody else I know has been). I've had single and dbl wall tents, tarps, bivies, hammock rigs, etc. Condensation is a fact of life in the east, especially if you are hunkering your rig down to weather out storms or very cold weather.

Look at the shelters above - hope this helps.

I didn't have that problem in my ShangriLa3 with a half-liner.

My ShangriLa3 was roomy enough for me while the Choinard Megamid was too big. I am saying there is the right size available.

These companies have a selection of sizes and "inner nest" for hybrid or double wall for the "big and tall".

http://locusgear.com

http://store.seekoutside.com

http://store.kifaru.net/mobile/tipis-c18.aspx

http://www.mountainlaureldesigns.com...x.php?cPath=47

Cuben gives the most taut pitch. However, silnylon will not be allowed to sag if you have an adjustable center pole. Other fabric is offered.
    Last edited by Connie; 03-10-2015 at 09:20.

I actually have that tent although probably getting rid of it because it is a little too cramped although I've used it quite a bit. If you aren't a giant like me you would probably find it adequate. I can stretch out in fine but for my tastes it is lacking in floor area and of course the headroom could be better. It is a neat little tent, probably the easiest tent you will ever see to set up (only requires 2 stakes) and really easy to get a nice taught pitch.

Quote Originally Posted by PeterCollins View Post
    With respect to the original post: I'm planning 2 sections on the AT, the first in 2016, and I am looking for a tent. Since comfort will be important--I am 70 years old, I am looking for comfort in a tent, and I'm thinking that the Moment DW (34 oz) might fill the bill. Yes, I have decided against tarps & quilts andsingle-walled construction.

So, my question: Should I look at other offerings?

Thanks!

I don't want to avoid condensation. It happens here on the east coast and nothing you can do about it. I'd just rather have another wall between it and me and not have to worry about touching it. I used a TT rainbow for a year. I got sick of having to wipe down the walls when it was 30 degrees out in the morning to avoid getting rained on when trying to leave or move about my tent.

Quote Originally Posted by mankind117 View Post
    I don't want to avoid condensation. It happens here on the east coast and nothing you can do about it. I'd just rather have another wall between it and me and not have to worry about touching it. I used a TT rainbow for a year. I got sick of having to wipe down the walls when it was 30 degrees out in the morning to avoid getting rained on when trying to leave or move about my tent.
    I get it. Try a hammock? There are all manner of shapes and sizes for hammocks and tarps, and if you go to Hammockforums.net, you can get all sorts of advice, DIY guidance, and great used gear for good prices. And with a hammock rig, YOU decide how much room you need and engineer it accordingly.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++