WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Considering starting the trail this year or next

I have been considering and preparing to re-attempt a thru-hike ever since 2007. In 2007 I attempted and got just outside of front royal. I had to stop because I was doing too many miles in too short of a time and my already 'bad' knees didn't want to do anymore. I was 19 at the time, and now I am 27. Well ever since I got off the trail, like many others I've always had this desire to return. Finish what I'd started, get a chance to live that life again. I don't have any kids, wife, mortgage. Just finished paying off my student loans. So now is as good a time as any. But the problem is I have been dealing with a nagging foot issue. I haven't seen a doctor about it yet, stopped wearing some exercise shoes that I thought might be the culprit.

Anyways, I don't have a real question besides has anyone else dealt with foot/knee problems on the trail? I feel as if starting it with pain, will only cause the issue to get exacerbated. This probably isn't the year for me to start the trail, as I should wait until my body is ready. Logistically from a future planning perspective it might be better than next year.

The only thing stopping me from starting this month is my foot. I have all my financials in check. Have no problem quitting my job. etc

Could be the shoes, but it could be something more long term like plantar fasciitis or a neuroma. You didn't give any symptoms besides pain. What exactly hurts? Have you worked to strengthen your knees?

Yeah Im not really looking for diagnosis over the internet. I just scheduled an appointment with a doctor.

Thats the other hurdle. I have had 4 knee surgeries on my right knee. Been working very hard over the last 2 years to get the strength up, as it was very atrophied after the last. But I can certainly tell my feet are not used to the beating they might get on the trail. As I don't run at all. But I do a lot of squatting & lateral stengthing.

Anyways, not sure what Im looking for here. Just thought I'd share my 'struggle' with decisions.

Yes, I had a foot/leg issue from doing too many miles too early. Fortunately, I was within shuttle distance of Damascus for Trail Days and had a doctor look at it. In my case it started at the bottom of my foot and worked its way to my shin and caused a limp. It turned out to be nothing more than a knot behind my shin that required rest. The doctor also showed me show exercises I could do to keep it loose if it began to act up. I imagine if I had kept hiking it would have continued to get worse and not better. So I would suggest going to the doctor. It might be something simple that can be easily treated to get you on the trail this year.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dholmblad View Post
    I feel as if starting it with pain, will only cause the issue to get exacerbated. This probably isn't the year for me to start the trail, as I should wait until my body is ready. Logistically from a future planning perspective it might be better than next year.
    pretty sound thinking, good luck.

Found out I have sesamoiditis which is an irritation of some bone in the foot. Hopefully custom orthotics will remedy this.

You can have the sesamoidectomy for definitive treatment. I would. I'm a medical provider. But give orthotics a try.

I agree you should not start the trail---or any trail---with a nagging pain issue.

Yeah I went to an orthopedic doctor today and was diagnosed with that. He suggested orthotics and stretching of calf as the one on that leg is really tight.

Would you be disappointed with section hiking? Could you pick sections that aren't especially rocky and spend a couple of weeks hiking there?

I know it isn't as glamorous to take a couple of weeks off for hiking then come back to work, but it sounds like your feet may not stand up to months on the trail.

What about a change of scenery? Have you thought about the Florida Trail?

Quote Originally Posted by glenlawson View Post
    Would you be disappointed with section hiking? Could you pick sections that aren't especially rocky and spend a couple of weeks hiking there?

I know it isn't as glamorous to take a couple of weeks off for hiking then come back to work, but it sounds like your feet may not stand up to months on the trail.

What about a change of scenery? Have you thought about the Florida Trail?
    I would like to attempt a thru hike. If I do a much slower pace than I had done in 07 it should be possible.

If its just something by body cant handle anymore. Section hiking is how I will finish it off!

I am having some of the same issues with my feet...plus i injured my ankle a few months ago and never got it taken care of....i am going to see a dr and work hard to get them ready for the trail next year though!!!

I am having some of the same issues with my feet...plus i injured my ankle a few months ago and never got it taken care of....i am going to see a dr and work hard to get them ready for the trail next year though!!!

My dad and I both have flat feet and he doesn't think my feet can physically take it and that i'd have to section hike it.....I really want to thru hike....i think i need all of that time away....i just don't want my feet to destroy my dream!!!

Get some orthotics, my mother who has flat feel says they help a lot.

++ New Posts ++