WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default New to market Thule Backpack, which one for a thru hike?

First post.

I've been using this great site to educate myself in preparation for a 2016 NOBO thru hike and the wealth of knowledge I've been able to obtain has been phenomenal. Thanks to all.

I'm at the point where I have to purchase a new backpack and I'm really keen on the new Thule technical packs coming out this April 15th. The problem I'm having is determining which size will work for a thru hike.
    Here's a couple of Youtube links of the 2 packs, a 50L and a 65L. Will the 50L be to small, will the 65L be to big? They weigh about 3lbs but I'm more concerned about storage capacity than a few oz.
    Thanks for your input

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RE-WaLXJM9c

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jgvwx61SZwU

Advice: get the smaller pack because if you get the bigger one you're just going to try to fill it.

I was worried about that also. I'm really keen on these packs but my biggest worry is making sure I have enough room. I've never been on a hike even close to this magnitude so I need to get it right.

The ULA Circuit, one of the most popular bags on the trail for thru-hikers, is a 68L bag. I picked one up and it's a little big, but I actually like the capacity for food and whatnot (and also being able to fit a bear canister for west coast hikes), so whatever works for you.
    --
    Vinny, Aspiring 2016 AT NOBO
    Shameless blog plug: http://appalachiantrials.com/author/vinny-tagliatela/

I plan on using a 45L pack for my AT thru hike, however, I have my gear pretty well dialed in.

When I first started out, I could barely fit everything I brought with me into a 65L pack.

When we hiked the AT I took a 65L Atmos 65. I left the 'brain' cap at home because I really felt like I was carrying enough weight without it in place despite regularly filling up the main bag.

Over time you get better at recognizing the useless weight you are carrying and shed it - at least I have. I am currently using a Klymit Motion 60 and never come close to filling it completely. I'm not UL minded but my total pack weight never goes above 30 lbs any more.

Figure out what you're putting in the pack before you buy it if it's that big of a concern but most people are better off with a 50L than a 65L for the AT. The space restriction limits dumb decisions about what to take along.

Seems to be the consensus that if you get a bigger pack you will fill it. Personally, I am going with a 65L and between 30-35lbs tops including food/water. I won't be using every inch of space but I like the room. I have a 50 and if I pack everything right, it fits though not sure what I would do with the bear canister in areas where they are mandatory. If I was in a hurry or just felt like jamming stuff in the pack maybe because of rain or something, I ran into problems. I have been working with the 65L for only a short time but I enjoy the room. I am talking my winter load out though, in the summer I may switch out with the 50 when a lot of the bulk goes down. I was on Springer Mountain for the last two days and saw about 20 or so hikers walk by. I was not counting but it seemed like about 8 out of 10 were packing a 65 or larger. I saw just a few that were smaller and those packs seemed to be pressure testing the seams with stuff tied to the outside as well with one exception. Not sure what you gain my getting a 50L and then strapping stuff all over the outside to make up for the lack of space unless your intention is to use one bag and you figure you will have enough space in the summer. I'm sure there is a good reason I don't see to save to not have those 15L of space.

Journal Entries
    Images

Mogart,

I see you are from Riverside. Do you work out of Thule's Fall River plant, or ar you on the marketing side of the business that includes backpacks and such?

Its a good company, not knocking it at all. I don't question your sincerity of the post, but if you can provide some background info, that would be terrific.

Rickb

Actually I don't work at all. I officially retire in May and then I'll have all the time I need to get into the hiking life. I've done a lot of camping over the years but have never been on a hike over 4 days. As far as the pack, I don't know what they're like up close, I've only seen the videos. I didn't know they had a plant in Fall River, I thought they were just a Swiss company. I will be retiring after 31 yrs. in municipal gov. (public works dept.) and the last time I tried to market anything was an old Chevy s10 pickup that I beat into the ground. (ended up having to junk it) So, I can't give any background on backpacks but I can tell you a lot about how dysfunctional city gov. is. I'm just trying to get some input on a pack for a thru hike.

I dont know much about those packs, but I know the ULA circuit and the osprey exos 58 are very popular with hikers.

Journal Entries
    Images

Their plant in Fall River makes the Track Racks for pickups. Figured you we getting a special discount and had a special insight to have zeroed in on them so early on. I guess I am not as smart as I thought I was.

Those packs look really cool but the number of moving parts would be of some concern, I think.

Yea, I see a lot of talk about the ULA and I'll be checking them out also. I only used the Thule as an example because I saw 2 videos from the same company. I was mainly looking to get an answer about pack size. My fear is that a 50L will be to small for a thru hike.

I never thought about the moving parts, Great Point. I'm really struggling about what pack I should look at. There's so many that I don't know where to begin. I've got an old external pack from back in the day that worked fine for what I used it for but picking one for a thru hike is daunting when you don't know much about this type of gear.

Images

Just some things to consider:
    1) I don't see where REI, EMS, or other large retailers carry their backpack line yet, but if/when they do, you could take advantage of their return policies if you find that it you are not satisfied with the pack after trial. Also try on other brands - there are a lot of really good choices out there. All brands and models fit/carry just a bit differently, so it's best to try them on (with 20 - 30 lbs of stuff inside) and see how the fit and carry. Your biggest worry shouldn't be
    I'm really keen on these packs but my biggest worry is making sure I have enough room.
    but rather how a pack that will carry the gear you need meets the needs of a thru-hike and fits and feels.
    2) I went to Thule's website to check out the packs you mentioned. Their Capstone 50 liter is 3.3 lbs which from a weight perspective is probably about average for a sturdy internal framed pack with good suspension system. But that 65 liter Guidepost pack weighs 6 lbs empty. That's an awful lot of dead pack weight to be carrying given current gear technology.
    "That's the thing about possum innards - they's just as good the second day." - Jed Clampett

Thanks, this is the type of feedback I'm looking for!
    I agree with you about 6lbs being to much, hopefully a 50L will have enough room.
    Hoping some people who have finished a thru hike with a 50L respond as to whether it worked for them or not.

The big pack (65L) is too heavy - very configurable, but. The 50L is light enough, but frankly 50L is not a whole bunch of space for a first-timer (no offense). 50L is roughly about 3000 ci - maybe 60L is a better match until you figure our your own needs/necessities/etc. Like others have said, look at some ULA packs (I have an Ohm 2.0, many love the Circuit as well), Gossamer Gear, Enlightened Equipment, HMD, and others. Also, the REI Flash 62 is not a bad pak for the money - decent stays, etc. Kelty makes some very solid and classic backpacks, a bit heavier than the above.

Lastly, don't discount the value of your exernal frame pack! A lot of the whole 'internal packs are the bomb' thing was foisted upon consumers years ago because of the cool factor - not that the internal frame packs aren't nice, but they are certainly not the miracle packs you may believe. Many external frame packs are real load haulers and weigh less than some internals. Vargo has an interesting external Ti frame pack if you wanna spend the bucks, and Zpacks has a UL external frame pack that weighs under 20 oz.

I think, if it were me, that I'd start with some shorter trips - take your current pack and kit, get a feel for what you need and can afford, and go from there.

The Thule backpacks have somewhat flat pockets, and compartments and zippers.

It all adds weight, so you have to like that sort of thing. I do, at times.

I looked at their website. I found some nice panniers thanks to the OP. Thank you.

I think Granite Gear Crown VC is a very good pack for starting out.

For many, it is their favorite pack.

Brancher - I saw the Vargo on line and I like everything except the way the top is designed. It seems like it would collect a ton of water. I do like the idea of a titanium external pack. I'll check out the UL external frame.
    Thanks!

++ New Posts ++