Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

I'm thinking of foregoing the resupply at Sonora Pass and planning on eight days of hiking between Tuolumne and Echo Lake which is about 19 miles per day on average. On most parts of the trail, I wouldn't think anything about a 19mpd pace but I was originally planning on ten days for this stretch due to my perceived need to keep miles per day down in the Sierra. I'm thinking that if I plan on eight days and everything is going according to plan by Sonora Pass, I would just keep on going. If it is taking longer than expected, I would hitch down to Kennedy Meadows North, where I assume that I could put together an extra day of food if necessary even though the store there is supposed to not be great for hiker resupply.

I do have a couple of other eight day food carries in the Sierra but with lower miles per day, such as plans for 8 days between Onion Valley and Mammoth. That is 125 miles rather than 150, but it covers much more difficult terrain, so maybe it is a wash in terms of difficulty.
    HST/JMT August 2016
    TMB/Alps Sept 2015
    PCT Mile 0-857 - Apr/May 2015
    Foothills Trail Feb 2015
    Colorado Trail Aug 2014
    AT: Rockfish Gap to Boiling Springs 2014
    John Muir Trail Aug/Sept 2013

Quote Originally Posted by Coffee View Post
    I'm thinking that if I plan on eight days and everything is going according to plan by Sonora Pass, I would just keep on going. If it is taking longer than expected, I would hitch down to Kennedy Meadows North, where I assume that I could put together an extra day of food if necessary even though the store there is supposed to not be great for hiker resupply.
    this is a good plan. keeping your options open always tends to work out the best.

We are excited to be offering this new service this year. We can bring your resupply and practically anything else you might need directly to the trail head at Sonora Pass. With a paid resupply we will also mail your bear canister and/or other items, the only additional charge is the cost of postage. Whether you are a customer or not stop by if we are at trail head. We'll always have drinking water and fresh fruit/stuff (while supplies last) for anyone "passing thru".

Hope to see you out there!

Casey
    Sonora Pass Resupply

Just a quick post. We have added a great deal of info. to our website along with PayPal. We have bookings as early as June 7 and as late as October 10. I think June 7 to be at Sonora Pass might be a little optimistic even for this year.

Quote Originally Posted by sonora pass resupply View Post
    Just a quick post. We have added a great deal of info. to our website along with PayPal. We have bookings as early as June 7 and as late as October 10. I think June 7 to be at Sonora Pass might be a little optimistic even for this year.
    what is the website link?

Quote Originally Posted by mtntopper View Post
    what is the website link?
    If you Google "Sonora Pass Resupply", guess what comes up as the first (& 2nd) hit...

There is an error on their web page. "DO NOT MAIL STOVE FUEL* U.S.P.S. restricts shipping of flammable materials." This is not true if certain fuel, quantity, labeling and ground shipping is used. See USPS website for exact shipping requirements.
    Lonehiker (MRT '22)

You can reduce the price of your stay in Bridgeport by visiting the hot springs about 2 miles east of town and stealth camping some distance away from the spring (as it's not allowed.) I think it was called Travertine hot spring and it's actually visible from town on the side of a hill. A local can point it out to you. It's an awesome hot spring.
    Some knew me as Piper, others as just Diane.
    I hiked the PCT: Mexico to Mt. Shasta, 2008. Santa Barbara to Canada, 2009.

Images

I dunno. A seven day food carry is only one day and then it's six day carry. How much food are you carrying to make this a problem? I've done eight day carries being old and slow. I just don't see food carrying as a big deal. An exception is when one can't stuff it in a canister where required. Otherwise I think people just say , ugh big food carry, when they really mean YAy town food!
    Everything is in Walking Distance

Quote Originally Posted by bamboo bob View Post
    I dunno. A seven day food carry is only one day and then it's six day carry. How much food are you carrying to make this a problem? I've done eight day carries being old and slow. I just don't see food carrying as a big deal. An exception is when one can't stuff it in a canister where required. Otherwise I think people just say , ugh big food carry, when they really mean YAy town food!
    Yup any excuse for a town day. Hell I've been known to head into town for playoff games in OCT even if my teams are already out.

Quote Originally Posted by bamboo bob View Post
    Yeah but once you are that far on the PCT it's more like 14 days of food for a normal, non-starving person.
    Some knew me as Piper, others as just Diane.
    I hiked the PCT: Mexico to Mt. Shasta, 2008. Santa Barbara to Canada, 2009.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    Yeah but once you are that far on the PCT it's more like 14 days of food for a normal, non-starving person.
    Actually I hitched into Bridgeport there and the town was without power! Anyway the point is still that i don't think an eight day carry is a big deal.
    Everything is in Walking Distance

Our original concept has evolved. We will soon be opening an online resupply store that will hopefully carry everything a hiker will need in a resupply. We are now dealers for Mountain House and Backpacker's Pantry freeze dried foods. Also have made arrangements with a wholesale grocery distributor to stock our store with conventional food and sundries. A hiker will be able to go online and order their resupply. Then we will bring it to Sonora Pass or mail it to any point along the trail. No longer will it be necessary for a hiker to send off resupply packages months in advance. With our store you can order as you go.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++