WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Default Trail Magic Overload?

Following social media, reading books and blogs, and talking to hikers on the trail it appears that there has been an explosion of trail magic the last several years. There seems to be trail magic at every road crossing between Hightower Gap and Stecoah Gap in March and April. I appreciated the generous contribution of calories and consumables by the trail angels when I did my thru. But the best trail magic I received was going thru NY in early July in 100 degree temps and the water sources dried up. Some anonymous trail angel left jugs of water at every road crossing. That meant more to me than any Lil Debbie I received in GA or NC. My suggestion to anyone considering trail magic in the future that they consider donating the money they would spend on trail magic to the ATC or a local trail club. If you want to spend time on the trail while doing trail magic consider volunteering for trail crew with the ATC or a local club. I think you would receive more satisfaction doing this than a belch from someone thru hiking. The results would be longer lasting and provide more benefits to hikers than a full belly.
    More walking, less talking.

That's why some of us don't call it trail magic, rather use the term hiker feeds (or comparable term). Most of today's hikers don't understand what real trail magic is and it's a shame that they even call hiker feeds trail magic. Most don't see it (it seems), but hiker feeds take away from the true experience of a thru-hike. Sad.

Images

^^^^^^^^^^
    fb-like-button.gif
    "That's the thing about possum innards - they's just as good the second day." - Jed Clampett

Quote Originally Posted by Pedaling Fool View Post
    That's why some of us don't call it trail magic, rather use the term hiker feeds (or comparable term). Most of today's hikers don't understand what real trail magic is and it's a shame that they even call hiker feeds trail magic. Most don't see it (it seems), but hiker feeds take away from the true experience of a thru-hike. Sad.
    Agreed 100%. And, I'll go one step further - it contributes to the increasing sense of entitlement that seems to be showing up in so many thru hikers these days. Making a continuous fuss over prospective thru hikers sends the message that "hey, your five month vacation is special". It aint.
    Quod gratis asseritur, gratis negatur.

Why do "hiker feeds" take away the true experience of a thru-hike? The true experience of a thru-hike is walking 2200 mile and everything which happens in between.

While I'll agree feeds are not really "trail magic", their still part of the experience. And it really is hit or miss. It all depends on timing. Some might run into a number of them while others will miss them all.

True trail magic is when a day hiker loans you the keys to their car so you can run to town and get some supplies.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Images

I'm not opposed to "hiker feeds," but I certainly appreciate the sentiment of donating the money and time to your local trail maintenance club. These guys are really hurting on getting enough members/volunteers to keep up with all the trail work needed.

LOTS of people enjoy the trail. Few of those actually "give back" (or "pay it forward" if you prefer).
    [I]ye shall not pollute the land wherein ye are: ... Defile not therefore the land which ye shall inhabit....[/I]. Numbers 35

[url]www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker[/url]

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

That's why some of us don't call it trail magic, rather use the term hiker feeds (or comparable term).
    I call them "hiker aid stations". Often very organized, often large and usually planned.

Much like runner aid stations at races (or bike events..I volunteered at one of those myself).

We can (and will!) discuss the impact, but these hiker aid stations are a different beast from trail magic IMO.

Yeah..another link to my website.... Easier than writing the same thing often

http://www.pmags.com/grassroots-to-o...-of-thru-hikes
    http://www.pmags.com/trail-magic-sod...nd-trash-oh-my
    Last edited by Mags; 03-12-2015 at 11:45.
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

I think they should all get together and post a schedule and a menu. Some do breakfast, a mid-morning snack a little later on, then lunch, another snack, and finally supper. Maybe even take reservations. That way you wouldn't have to carry so much food. If they did it right, one would not have to carry any food through the whole state of Georgia and even further on. Who knows, maybe not until the Smokies. A fire and some marshmellows and beer at an area where you can pitch a tent for the night sure would be nice too.
    "Hiking is as close to God as you can get without going to Church." - BobbyJo Sargent aka milkman Sometimes it's nice to take a long walk in THE FOG.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by atmilkman View Post
    I think they should all get together and post a schedule and a menu. Some do breakfast, a mid-morning snack a little later on, then lunch, another snack, and finally supper. Maybe even take reservations. That way you wouldn't have to carry so much food. If they did it right, one would not have to carry any food through the whole state of Georgia and even further on. Who knows, maybe not until the Smokies. A fire and some marshmellows and beer at an area where you can pitch a tent for the night sure would be nice too.
    I did see at least 2 menu's on my thru, one for breakfast placed about 3 miles before a intersection in NC/TN (Sam's gap IIRC) and one in the shelter log book in the 100 Mile Wilderness, with breakfast, lunch and dinner options for that extended weekend.

hiker feeds are a planned event

trail magic is when two paths cross, at a certain point in time, for a certain reason.. and there's no real explanation whether it was a coincidence or not.

like when you exit a trail head, needing to go into a town, and a day hiker is loading their vehicle up at the same time you enter the parking lot.. and without you saying anything, they offer you a ride to town out of the kindness of their heart

I wouldn't say a hiker feed isnt trail magic, however, hiker feeds don't reach you like the littler things do

How many others have issues accepting items of more than nominal value from strangers for free? I'm not sure if it is a generational thing but I find it very uncomfortable, apparently not a sentiment shared by many hikers.
    HST/JMT August 2016
    TMB/Alps Sept 2015
    PCT Mile 0-857 - Apr/May 2015
    Foothills Trail Feb 2015
    Colorado Trail Aug 2014
    AT: Rockfish Gap to Boiling Springs 2014
    John Muir Trail Aug/Sept 2013

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Coffee View Post
    How many others have issues accepting items of more than nominal value from strangers for free? I'm not sure if it is a generational thing but I find it very uncomfortable, apparently not a sentiment shared by many hikers.
    At one time in my life I would have had this issue, then I grew down and decided that was absolutely the wrong way I want to live and not a society I wanted to be a part of.

We are all God's children and all children of the same universe, and meant to help each other in giving and receiving. We are all part of one family, the human family and we have the potential to help each other and be helped, in that there is synergy and a uplifting of all.

IMHO
    Last edited by Starchild; 03-12-2015 at 17:11.

Quote Originally Posted by Starchild View Post
    At one time in my life I would have had this issue, then I grew down and decided that was absolutely the wrong way I want to live and not a society I wanted to be a part of.

We are all God's children and all children of the same universe, and meant to help each other in giving and receiving. We are all part of one family, the human family and we have the potential to help each other and be helped, in that there is synergy and a uplifting of all.

IMHO
    I don't really disagree with what you are saying. It isn't the small gesture like a cold soda but larger help that I think should be compensated at least for their out-of-pocket costs, especially those who open up their homes to hikers, feed them, provide shuttles out of their way, etc.
    HST/JMT August 2016
    TMB/Alps Sept 2015
    PCT Mile 0-857 - Apr/May 2015
    Foothills Trail Feb 2015
    Colorado Trail Aug 2014
    AT: Rockfish Gap to Boiling Springs 2014
    John Muir Trail Aug/Sept 2013

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Coffee View Post
    I don't really disagree with what you are saying. It isn't the small gesture like a cold soda but larger help that I think should be compensated at least for their out-of-pocket costs, especially those who open up their homes to hikers, feed them, provide shuttles out of their way, etc.
    Paying for it or offering to do so is not the only way, it is 'A' way which is sometimes appropriate, other times other methods like paying it forward may be more helpful.

When you received kindness, it is a obligation to pass it along as you received it, paying for it sometimes is done to avoid this obligation (again IMHO).

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by perrymk View Post
    Perry,

I missed that-- thanks for reposting.

That is a great story. And yet, it is one of many.

Real, honest, magical AT stories like yours are so cool. You just can't make this **** up!

RiickB

Journal Entries

I find organized mass hiker feeds border on ridiculous. Feeding people on vacation, especially when theve been on trail 4 days. Under the guise of "helping", the event throwers just want to associate with hikers. Either because they think its cool, or they miss it.

I find it sad so few of the people hiking today understand what trail magic is.
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 03-12-2015 at 20:26.

Images

Feeding hikers and hanging out with them is more "fun" than hiking in and cleaning up a shelter or joining a trail club and doing some real work. Just a freaking circus on the south end now....
    Sleep on the ground, rise with the sun and hike with the wind....

ser·en·dip·i·ty

(sĕr′ən-dĭp′ĭ-tē)n. pl. ser·en·dip·i·ties1. The faculty of making fortunate discoveries by accident.
    2. The fact or occurrence of such discoveries.
    3. An instance of making such a discovery.

I always considered trail magic to be serendipitous...for both party's.

I have not yet seen this, but would be curious if anyone else has.... Hiker "feeds" from a work party if you stop and help for an hour or two on a trail project. Seems a good way to get needed work done and a good way to get a desired meal.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++