WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Entry points and planning shelter stops?

My husband and I will be starting in CT, but can't seem to figure out where the best entry point would be in relation to Newington. I see where parking is available, so does that mean we can enter through any of those points?

Also, how do we figure out where each shelter is in relation to our first entry points and previous shelters? Are we going to have to buy maps before we can plan that out or is there any way to do it using google maps?

And for shelters, are there stores or anything nearby so that we can purchase supplies or receive mail, or do we have to find a way into a town to do that?

I have not hiked in CT but I would recommend you check out ATDist.com. Put in your starting point (parking lot is likely an AT crossing if it is on an AT map). Put in an exit point and it will list the mileage to shelters in between. I use the pocket profile maps from antigravity gear (Google) which have all the info you need. I'm sure someone from CT will chime in.

Images

You have been asking alot of questions that the simple purchase of an AT guide book would answer for you.

Here is one suggestion: http://www.shop.theatguide.com/The-AT-Guide-2015-Northbound-ATGNB2015.htm
    Remote for detachment, narrow for chosen company, winding for leisure, lonely for contemplation, the Trail beckons not merely north and south, but upward to the body, mind, and soul of man.

Images

The maps are very useful, however, the guidebook recommendation is another excellent way to know about shelters and resupply. Are you planning NOBO or SOBO…starting when?
    "The woods are lovely, dark, and deep,
    but I have promises to keep,
    and miles to go before I sleep,
    and miles to go before I sleep." (Frost)

Quote Originally Posted by Studlintsean View Post
    I have not hiked in CT but I would recommend you check out ATDist.com. Put in your starting point (parking lot is likely an AT crossing if it is on an AT map). Put in an exit point and it will list the mileage to shelters in between. I use the pocket profile maps from antigravity gear (Google) which have all the info you need. I'm sure someone from CT will chime in.
    Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by Nimbus View Post
    The maps are very useful, however, the guidebook recommendation is another excellent way to know about shelters and resupply. Are you planning NOBO or SOBO…starting when?
    Thank you, I didn't know that a guide book had all of that in it. We're starting in CT in early July, then heading SOBO.

Cheese, in your area I suggest driving on over To Bill Jacksons on Hwy 19 down in Pinellas Park. Not only do they usually have the guidebook and maps, they have a good selection of gear that you can check out to get ideas of things that you may be missing.

The guys who work there are knowledgeable and can probably help you out a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by Walkintom View Post
    Cheese, in your area I suggest driving on over To Bill Jacksons on Hwy 19 down in Pinellas Park. Not only do they usually have the guidebook and maps, they have a good selection of gear that you can check out to get ideas of things that you may be missing.

The guys who work there are knowledgeable and can probably help you out a lot.
    That's a great idea! Thank you! I had no idea that was there. I used to work in Pinellas Park, too!

Images

I retired out of MacDill AFB nearly 18 years ago. Am starting Flip at the NY/CT border hiking north to VT then off during May to give the Black Flies a vacation… then on to Katahdin….then south from NY.
    "The woods are lovely, dark, and deep,
    but I have promises to keep,
    and miles to go before I sleep,
    and miles to go before I sleep." (Frost)

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by SteelCut View Post
    You have been asking alot of questions that the simple purchase of an AT guide book would answer for you.

Here is one suggestion: http://www.shop.theatguide.com/The-AT-Guide-2015-Northbound-ATGNB2015.htm
    Cheese, DEFINITELY order this book today!

Quote Originally Posted by illabelle View Post
    Cheese, DEFINITELY order this book today!
    Does it matter that I'm not going NOBO?

Quote Originally Posted by cheese! View Post
    Nope. It's invaluable. So much information that it's hard to take it all in. You have to read and plan section by section because there's just so much info there.

Quote Originally Posted by Walkintom View Post
    Nope. It's invaluable. So much information that it's hard to take it all in. You have to read and plan section by section because there's just so much info there.
    Ok, I'll order it tonight!

There is a SOBO version too.

Images

Ok, I'll order it tonight!
    What ? an OP that takes advise. What is WB coming to ?
    I'm so confused, I'm not sure if I lost my horse or found a rope.

Quote Originally Posted by ALLEGHENY View Post
    There is a SOBO version too.
    Oh good! Thanks!

Don't overlook the Appalachian Trail Conservancy . There is an interactive map that includes a good map and GIS data. The Appalachian Trail Long Distance Association offers some good reading materials.

Clueless Weekender
    Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by kayak karl View Post
    What ? an OP that takes advise. What is WB coming to ?
    What, advice that isn't all contradictory? What, indeed, is WB coming to?
    I always know where I am. I'm right here.

++ New Posts ++