Results 1 to 18 of 18
  1. #1

    Default Entry points and planning shelter stops?

    My husband and I will be starting in CT, but can't seem to figure out where the best entry point would be in relation to Newington. I see where parking is available, so does that mean we can enter through any of those points?

    Also, how do we figure out where each shelter is in relation to our first entry points and previous shelters? Are we going to have to buy maps before we can plan that out or is there any way to do it using google maps?

    And for shelters, are there stores or anything nearby so that we can purchase supplies or receive mail, or do we have to find a way into a town to do that?

  2. #2
    Registered User Studlintsean's Avatar
    Join Date
    03-26-2012
    Location
    Northern Virginia
    Age
    32
    Posts
    1,002

    Default

    I have not hiked in CT but I would recommend you check out ATDist.com. Put in your starting point (parking lot is likely an AT crossing if it is on an AT map). Put in an exit point and it will list the mileage to shelters in between. I use the pocket profile maps from antigravity gear (Google) which have all the info you need. I'm sure someone from CT will chime in.

  3. #3
    Registered User
    Join Date
    08-31-2013
    Location
    Asheville, NC
    Age
    58
    Posts
    586
    Images
    2

    Default

    You have been asking alot of questions that the simple purchase of an AT guide book would answer for you.

    Here is one suggestion: http://www.shop.theatguide.com/The-AT-Guide-2015-Northbound-ATGNB2015.htm
    Remote for detachment, narrow for chosen company, winding for leisure, lonely for contemplation, the Trail beckons not merely north and south, but upward to the body, mind, and soul of man.


  4. #4
    Registered User
    Join Date
    12-05-2014
    Location
    New Bern, North Carolina
    Posts
    21
    Images
    1

    Default

    The maps are very useful, however, the guidebook recommendation is another excellent way to know about shelters and resupply. Are you planning NOBO or SOBO…starting when?
    "The woods are lovely, dark, and deep,
    but I have promises to keep,
    and miles to go before I sleep,
    and miles to go before I sleep." (Frost)

  5. #5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Studlintsean View Post
    I have not hiked in CT but I would recommend you check out ATDist.com. Put in your starting point (parking lot is likely an AT crossing if it is on an AT map). Put in an exit point and it will list the mileage to shelters in between. I use the pocket profile maps from antigravity gear (Google) which have all the info you need. I'm sure someone from CT will chime in.
    Thank you!

  6. #6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nimbus View Post
    The maps are very useful, however, the guidebook recommendation is another excellent way to know about shelters and resupply. Are you planning NOBO or SOBO…starting when?
    Thank you, I didn't know that a guide book had all of that in it. We're starting in CT in early July, then heading SOBO.

  7. #7
    Registered User Walkintom's Avatar
    Join Date
    08-16-2010
    Location
    Eagle River, WI
    Age
    47
    Posts
    697

    Default

    Cheese, in your area I suggest driving on over To Bill Jacksons on Hwy 19 down in Pinellas Park. Not only do they usually have the guidebook and maps, they have a good selection of gear that you can check out to get ideas of things that you may be missing.

    The guys who work there are knowledgeable and can probably help you out a lot.

  8. #8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Walkintom View Post
    Cheese, in your area I suggest driving on over To Bill Jacksons on Hwy 19 down in Pinellas Park. Not only do they usually have the guidebook and maps, they have a good selection of gear that you can check out to get ideas of things that you may be missing.

    The guys who work there are knowledgeable and can probably help you out a lot.
    That's a great idea! Thank you! I had no idea that was there. I used to work in Pinellas Park, too!

  9. #9
    Registered User
    Join Date
    12-05-2014
    Location
    New Bern, North Carolina
    Posts
    21
    Images
    1

    Default

    I retired out of MacDill AFB nearly 18 years ago. Am starting Flip at the NY/CT border hiking north to VT then off during May to give the Black Flies a vacation… then on to Katahdin….then south from NY.
    "The woods are lovely, dark, and deep,
    but I have promises to keep,
    and miles to go before I sleep,
    and miles to go before I sleep." (Frost)

  10. #10
    illabelle's Avatar
    Join Date
    06-25-2012
    Location
    Lurkerville, East Tn
    Age
    59
    Posts
    3,284
    Journal Entries
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SteelCut View Post
    You have been asking alot of questions that the simple purchase of an AT guide book would answer for you.

    Here is one suggestion: http://www.shop.theatguide.com/The-AT-Guide-2015-Northbound-ATGNB2015.htm
    Cheese, DEFINITELY order this book today!

  11. #11

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by illabelle View Post
    Cheese, DEFINITELY order this book today!
    Does it matter that I'm not going NOBO?

  12. #12
    Registered User Walkintom's Avatar
    Join Date
    08-16-2010
    Location
    Eagle River, WI
    Age
    47
    Posts
    697

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cheese! View Post
    Does it matter that I'm not going NOBO?
    Nope. It's invaluable. So much information that it's hard to take it all in. You have to read and plan section by section because there's just so much info there.

  13. #13

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Walkintom View Post
    Nope. It's invaluable. So much information that it's hard to take it all in. You have to read and plan section by section because there's just so much info there.
    Ok, I'll order it tonight!

  14. #14

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cheese! View Post
    Does it matter that I'm not going NOBO?
    There is a SOBO version too.

  15. #15
    Registered User kayak karl's Avatar
    Join Date
    08-21-2007
    Location
    Swedesboro, NJ
    Age
    64
    Posts
    5,338
    Images
    25

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cheese! View Post
    Ok, I'll order it tonight!
    What ? an OP that takes advise. What is WB coming to ?
    I'm so confused, I'm not sure if I lost my horse or found a rope.

  16. #16

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ALLEGHENY View Post
    There is a SOBO version too.
    Oh good! Thanks!

  17. #17
    Registered User
    Join Date
    03-13-2015
    Location
    Pachuca, Mexico
    Posts
    4

    Default

    Don't overlook the Appalachian Trail Conservancy . There is an interactive map that includes a good map and GIS data. The Appalachian Trail Long Distance Association offers some good reading materials.

  18. #18
    Clueless Weekender
    Join Date
    04-10-2011
    Location
    Niskayuna, New York
    Age
    63
    Posts
    3,863
    Journal Entries
    10

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kayak karl View Post
    What ? an OP that takes advise. What is WB coming to ?
    What, advice that isn't all contradictory? What, indeed, is WB coming to?
    I always know where I am. I'm right here.

++ New Posts ++

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •