WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Thread: Horses

Default Horses

I see lots of photos by hikers and they are some place with horses. Where is this? Are they wild or is it just a section of trail running through a farmers meadow where his horses are kept?

They are wild horses at a state park in southern Virginia called Grayson Highlands.

Journal Entries

The ponies were introduced to eat vegetation. They even receive yearly medical checkups. Excess colts get sold to keep the numbers there they want. Although the herd is allowed to roam free, wild might be a bit of a strong word. They are very accustomed to people.

Images

Anything out there that comes up to you and begs for food isn't wild. But they are darned cute.

Cute? They wanted to eat my pack.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ALLEGHENY View Post
    You must not have brought them carrots like everyone else, and they got mad. Darned entitled ponies.

Quote Originally Posted by MuddyWaters View Post
    You must not have brought them carrots like everyone else, and they got mad. Darned entitled ponies.
    Carrots don.t have a good calories/wt worth me to haul them from Damascus.

Images

Same place has big Texas Longhorns wandering around at certain times of year. Was kind of freaked out the first night I saw one as it strolled through my campsite with some of its buddies.

This one didn't get pushy. He must have known I was a republican and wouldn't give him anything for free....horse.jpg

horses.jpgIt was bitter cold the day we hiked out - didn't see any horse. I guess they hunkered down somewhere...

Quote Originally Posted by ALLEGHENY View Post
    They wanted the salt in your straps. That's why dogs like to lick your hand when your all sweaty too.

Walking through a herd of cows is always fun too.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Quote Originally Posted by MuddyWaters View Post
    As we all know here on WB the ponies only started getting entitled recently. I am pretty sure the older generations of ponies were not like this at all.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Donde View Post
    As we all know here on WB the ponies only started getting entitled recently. I am pretty sure the older generations of ponies were not like this at all.
    I saw where some of the younger ponies has a fund raiser on gofundme for a vacation to The Kentucky Derby. Kids today!

i've seen some older fat ponies set up a pony feed. bales of hay and oats

The deer are tame there too...they beg like dogs.

Quote Originally Posted by Malto View Post
    I saw where some of the younger ponies has a fund raiser on gofundme for a vacation to The Kentucky Derby. Kids today!
    HAHA! One of them managed to get entry tickets, but not the plane fare yet...

I stupidly sat down on a bench near a pony to eat a granola bar. As soon as I opened it the pony stuck his head over my shoulder. It was very calm, but insistent. I, equally insistent, rubbed its nose and talked to it while I munched. In a couple of minutes the pony was practically in my lap, but as soon as the last bite was consumed, it moved away. These ponies are very accustomed to humans. A little later, I passed within maybe 10 feet of a foal nursing, and neither pony was disturbed by my presence.

Wow...coolness! Thanks everyone for the info and experiences! I hope I make it there!

For years there were these signs:

Grayson ponies.jpg

And now there are also these signs:

grayson ponies 2.jpg

This is one more case of where "Hike your own hike" means "Don't tell me what to do".

And the reason the ponies behave like giant feral rats.
    The trouble I have with campfires are the folks that carry a bottle in one hand and a Bible in the other.
    You never know which one is talking.

++ New Posts ++