WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Seeking Partner or Group for Long Trail

Hello!

I am planning a northbound thru-hike on the Long Trail for mid-late August into early September. I just moved to Vermont 7 months ago, and haven't had any success finding someone to go with me. I would love to find a partner, or to join a small, already established group. This will be my first long thru-hike. I just signed up with the Green Mountain Club to be paired up with a mentor who's completed the hike before, and I plan to get as much knowledge as I can from them while also backpacking this summer as much as I can to prepare!

I can't start the hike before mid-August, as I'm currently serving with AmeriCorps and my term of service is up early that month. I am a 23-year-old female.

Anybody interested? Let me know!

Images

The GMC mentor program helped us a lot, though the advice was all over the place. You just have to filter it through your own experience.

The Long Trail is tough, no question, but it does make a great intro thru-hike, and late August sounds like a terrific time to start. (We went in early July.) Logistically it's not that bad - there are plenty of places to resupply and hitching into town is fairly easy in Vermont. I don't know your experience level, so I won't just say "go solo" - but we did meet numerous young female solo end-to-enders last summer, so it's possible.

Hope you enjoy the hike. Vermont is a beautiful place.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

That's a nice time to do the LT. And if you go south to north, you might meet more people along the way going north whom you could hook up with.

Images

That time of year you will have the company of northbound Appalachian Trail Thruhikers for the first 100 miles of the Long Trail. That makes for an enjoyable social experience. You may crave a little quiet time after 100 miles !!!
    Order your copy of the Appalachian Trail Passport at www.ATPassport.com

Green Mountain House Hostel
    Manchester Center, VT

http://www.greenmountainhouse.net

I went the same time of they year this past year and it was great. I went sobo

If your a nobo, you'll have plenty of company at the time. LT hikers and AT thru-hikers. You probably won't spend a night by yourself the first 100 miles unless you stealth camp.

Ditto what others said. If you start in late August, you'll be amidst a lot of both NoBo and SoBo AT thru hikers, until you get north of US-4 at Maine Junction. I've hiked the LT in August and September, and by far I prefer hiking Vermont in September. August can still be hot and muggy up there. By early September the fall weather begins to bring relief from the humidity and heat, and the weather really changes quickly in mid-September, with big swings in temperatures. Getting ready to do another LT NoBo hike this September, starting the week after Labor Day.

have fun, you'll meet a lot of nice folks on the LT and in trail towns, I love hiking Vermont

I am headed out NoBo about mid July. Too early for the OP. I did New Hampshire and 30 of the 4000' hills along the way last year. I was alone for the vast majority of that walk. Beautiful but sometimes boring being alone. I would rather not be alone for the section north of the Maine jct. This conversation is tempting me to change my start date. Doubtful, but tempting.
    In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. - Abraham Lincoln

Images

Quote Originally Posted by BirdBrain View Post
    I would rather not be alone for the section north of the Maine jct. This conversation is tempting me to change my start date. Doubtful, but tempting.
    Everything I had read before our hike led me to think that the trail north of Maine Junction was incredibly remote and lonely. We didn't find either to be the case.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

Before I went on my thru hike last June/July, I tried to convince friends to join me, and was concerned that I might not be safe hiking by myself, especially since this was my first long distance hike. Indeed, it was my first overnight backpacking trip of any sort. As the start date drew closer, I started resigning myself to a solo hike.
    The truth is, it was far from a solo hike, and I quickly made friends on the trail. During my hike, I only had one night in a shelter without any company, and by that time I was totally ready for the solitude. I would say that doing the hike solo is actually much more rewarding in many ways. You can always take things at your own pace. You have time to contemplate without distraction. You can end up feeling much more a part of the forest. If I were to "hike with somebody", I would still spend most of my time hiking along, just meeting up with them for lunch stops or at shelters.
    I encountered many solo hikers, and a large percentage of them were women. They also told me that they felt quite safe hiking by themselves on this trail.
    As for the northern section being remote and lonely, parts of it were, but never for long. Camel's Hump was where I saw the most people during my entire hike. More than remote and lonely, the trail is tougher, with more rocks and many places where you have to stop and plan your footing. It's also the most amazing part of the trail.

I feel lucky that I had to hike it solo. For me, it made it a more rewarding experience. Your milage may vary, but my advice is, don't fear the solitude, embrace it!

Thank you all for your encouragement & advice so far!

It's true that I didn't think much about all of the hikers I would meet along the way, and I agree with some above that I would want to spend some time hiking alone anyway even if I set out with others.

I am still looking for a partner or group, but now I feel determined to make the trip happen even if I have to set out alone. And for those of who you think it sounds tempting- let's do it! I know it's going to be a beautiful time of year here in VT and I'm super excited.

I section-hiked the Long Trail almost 15 years ago (and then section-hiked the AT. I am going to lead a section hike of the LT for the Montpelier section of the Green Mountain Club: first week-end in June, July 4th week-end and 14-16 days starting August (however much time it takes!) Feel free to contact me directly.

My Aunt and I are planning to thru hike long trail in 2016 starting mid August. If you have the desire to do it again the following year you are more than welcome to join us. Good luck with your trip. I know I am looking forward to mine.

Would love to find a partner too -- my dates won't work for the OP, but I'm planning on going SOBO starting Aug 3rd. Would love company, at least for a bit! I'm also planning on some high mileage days, but would be nice not to start alone. If anybody wants to meet in Burlington on Aug 3rd and start from Journey's End together, let me know.

Hi Pifflek, I am also looking for a hiking partner for early August going SOBO. PM me if interested.

Chloe: Too bad you did not want to start earlier. I work at a College so July is the latest I could start my trek this year.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Chloe1227 View Post
    Hello!

I am planning a northbound thru-hike on the Long Trail for mid-late August into early September. I just moved to Vermont 7 months ago, and haven't had any success finding someone to go with me. I would love to find a partner, or to join a small, already established group. This will be my first long thru-hike. I just signed up with the Green Mountain Club to be paired up with a mentor who's completed the hike before, and I plan to get as much knowledge as I can from them while also backpacking this summer as much as I can to prepare!

I can't start the hike before mid-August, as I'm currently serving with AmeriCorps and my term of service is up early that month. I am a 23-year-old female.

Anybody interested? Let me know!
    I'm heading out around that time. Keep in touch.
    Digger

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    YOUTUBE: https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCMDkRcGP1yP20SOD-oiSGcQ
    Instagram: DIGGER_PCT_2016
    twitter: @takethisbread
    AT 2x, LT, JMT, CT, Camino, Ireland Coast to Coast, HWT, WT, NET, NST, PCT

We might run into you out there depending when you start in August; we'll be SOBO from Bromley to North Adams around the second week of the month. Sorry we can't be helpful about partnering, but I think others are spot on -- there's a ton of company out there, and doing a distance hike solo does give you a lot of freedom. That's a great seasonal window for the trip; you should have a great time.

I'm planning an end to end June of 2016. Can you postpone a year? Lol

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Images

Have a great trip! I'll be starting Mid-August as well, but I'm heading SOBO. I'll pass ya somewhere!

Occasionally lucid

Planning a NOBO E2E starting the second week in Sept.
    GA -> ME
    '86 -> '89

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++