WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Stash food at Onion Valley trailhead?

My wife and I hiked the JMT southbound in 2010, are considering a northbound hike this summer. We would like to split up the southern half, and resupply at Kearsarge Pass. I've read that there are bear boxes at the trailhead at Onion Valley, and I'm wondering if we could stash food there. I'd guess that it'd sit there for about a week before we picked it up. We'd rather not spend the time hitching into Independence.

We have put in for the Whitney lottery, but if we don't get it, we're going to hop on the PCT at Cottonwood Pass. This would make it almost 130 miles before reaching Muir Trail Ranch, which I think would be too much for us. In 2010, we did the stretch from MTR to Whitney Portal in one push: 8 days, so it's not totally impossible for us, but I think it'd be pushing it at the beginning of a trip, hence the resupply at Onion Valley.

What do you all think?

Mark

I suggest asking on the JMT Yahoo group. I believe a number of members of that group have either done this or hired someone to drop the food a day or two before expected pickup. I believe that leaving caches at the trailhead bear boxes is perfectly legal, whereas leaving caches in backcountry boxes is illegal. There is also a pack station at Onion Valley that will hold a box for pickup but the fee is very high.
    HST/JMT August 2016
    TMB/Alps Sept 2015
    PCT Mile 0-857 - Apr/May 2015
    Foothills Trail Feb 2015
    Colorado Trail Aug 2014
    AT: Rockfish Gap to Boiling Springs 2014
    John Muir Trail Aug/Sept 2013

Journal Entries
    Images

Most stashes go untouched & it should work. Here is the FS that covers that CG
    Inyo National Forest 760-873-2400
    Take Time to Watch the Trees Dance with The Wind........Then Join In........

If you have a service do it, make sure they put the food in a box that will not be exposed to direct heat. Not sure if that is possible ( have not seen the boxes in person). Last time I did the JMT, my hiking partner went over Kearsarge Pass and down to Onion Valley to get our food drop. Melted chocolate was the least thing wrong with the food drop. We spent about $75 I think to have the food dropped off. Not really ecstatic about using the boxes next time I go. Might just consider for the money involved to hitch into Independence and pick a food drop there via the post office. You lose a whole day at least having to go into Independence but the bear boxes in Onion Valley are a minus to me at this point.

Images

It's a fairly easy hitch down into Independence where you could have a package at the PO.
    Handlebar
    GA-ME 06; PCT 08; CDT 10,11,12; ALT 11; MSPA 12; CT 13; Sheltowee 14; AZT 14, 15; LT 15;FT 16;NCT-NY&PA 16; GET 17-18

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by handlebar View Post
    It's a fairly easy hitch down into Independence where you could have a package at the PO.
    +1 on this, I sent a package to the PO here but ended up skipping it & heading on to Whitney after someone bailing gave me plenty of grub.
    Take Time to Watch the Trees Dance with The Wind........Then Join In........

I was once doing a speedhike of the JMT (2000?) and hiked it first to acclimate and cache some food.
    We left it in a bear proof 55 gallon drum at a vacant ranger station.
    While doing the speedhike, the ranger was there and chewed us out for about 15 minutes about why we couldn't do this.
    In the end, he let us go (with our food) and then commented that we sure eat a lot of sugar.

I think you'd have to ask a ranger for the latest rules.
    Good luck and have fun.
    Don't let your fears stand in the way of your dreams

I've never heard of anyone missing food stashed at the Onion Valley TH. It's not that hard IMHO hitching into Indy from this TH. IMHO, it's the hitch back out to the TH that's the harder of the two legged hitch. There are steel bear boxes at the TH and a CG so there is traffic. There are folks who will drop off a food stash at the TH for ya if you choose that option. Call the pack services in area.

The Mt. Williamson Motel in Independence is owned by PCT thru hikers and has a package deal. They hold your resupply, pick you up at the trail head, room for the night, and a ride back early morning. Last I heard it was pretty reasonably priced considering what the other options cost.

Casey
    Sonora Pass Resupply

Journal Entries

Id just resolve to carry my food. Everything else seems like so much trouble.

Quote Originally Posted by MuddyWaters View Post
    Id just resolve to carry my food. Everything else seems like so much trouble.
    True. This might be the simplest option. Just get in shape and hoof it 130 miles (from Horseshoe Meadows) to MTR. We'll see.

++ New Posts ++