WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Going Northbound

Hi, I'm set on hiking the JMT this year from mid July to August but unfortunately missed getting a permit 168 days in advance for Yosemite trail heads (kicking myself hard for that). With the changes this year they seem almost impossible to get now that the 168 day mark is long gone. It has come to my attention that I can get a permit to start south of Whitney on the PCT, for example at Horseshoe Meadows, and go north all the way to Yosemite. The permit won't let me camp by Whitney but I can go up as a day hike and I can end in Happy Isles. This sounds great to me-- I am wondering if there is a catch? It seems like people are reluctant to go northbound for some reason. Is it difficulty? Return transportation problems? (I am coming from NC so this would be important, thinking of flying into Mammoth Lakes.) Please bring anything to my attention that I should be aware of. We're past AT SOBO hikers so we don't mind going against the grain of hiker traffic

Images

I've not done the JMT so can't comment about that aspect. But I lived in that area a while and have a fair amount of experience doing technical guiding in the Whitney zone. You need to be aware that Horseshoe Meadows is at 10000 feet and flying from NC to Mammoth and then starting immediately at Horseshoe Meadows is a recipe for altitude sickness. I saw it quite frequently with clients on Whitney despite warnings to spend a few days doing day hikes at altitude. If you are flying to Mammoth, I would suggest spending a couple of days there and doing some easy day hikes to improve your acclimatization. Plus, Mammoth is a pretty cool town (but a bit pricey). A cheaper alternative would be stay in Bishop but spend your days hiking up at South Lake above Bishop or some of the areas around Mammoth.

If you do this plan, there are busses that go between Mammoth and Yosemite so you could look into that to get back to Mammoth and it's airport. See yarts.com for more info.
    Last edited by SteelCut; 02-24-2015 at 07:42.
    Remote for detachment, narrow for chosen company, winding for leisure, lonely for contemplation, the Trail beckons not merely north and south, but upward to the body, mind, and soul of man.

Great idea, thank you. Since it's not often we can get out to the west coast and hike you certainly wouldn't be twisting my arm to hang out for few days and day hike beforehand.

If you look at the elevation profile, going NOBO actually appears to be slightly easier, since the general trend is downhill (14.5k at the summit of Whitney to about 4k in Yosemite Valley). SteelCut hit the nail on the head though, it's a difference between having to be acclimatized on day 1 versus allowing your body to acclimatize as a natural part of the hike.

The other thing that I would add, having done the JMT SOBO is that I felt that the scenery got better and better with each passing day. That was absolutely one of my favorite things about this trail. Going NOBO, in my opinion, means you hit the best scenery first, and it gets not as dramatic from there. Though keep in mind that the worst day on the JMT is better than the best day on many other trails.

I would think the transportation would be pretty easy, especially flying in/out of Mammoth airport. If I recall correctly, there is a YARTS bus every day that can take you into the town of Mammoth from Yosemite Valley, and then it is a short taxi ride to the airport from there

The issue with going nobo is the altitude. You start high and go through the highest passes early. You could flip flop from say Edison lake or reds meadow area. Easy to get a permit that way. I have done the trail sobo and will be returning this year.

My wife and I have the same plan as you, actually. Keep in mind that Yosemite does set aside permits for walk-ups, so if you don't mind sleeping outside the ranger office the night before your trip, you probably could get a SOBO permit.

It's too late for the Whitney lottery, but you can get a Whitney permit if you are vigilant and persistent with checking the cancellations on their website, otherwise, as you said, getting on at Cottonwood Pass is your best bet. You can reserve those permits now, online.

As others have said, the catch with northbound is the altitude, although it would be arguably easier by NOT getting a Whitney permit and starting at Cottonwood, as you'll be hitting the trail going to 11k on day one, but at least in won't be 14k!

Flying into Mammoth works. Just take shuttles on either end of your trip. The hardest part will be hitching to Horseshoe meadows from Lone Pine.

Having done the hike SOBO, the scenery progression is quite nice, but there are spectacular spots on the northern end of the hike too: Ritter Range, 1000 Island Lake, not to mention Yosemite. My wife and I are curious enough to give NOBO a go.

NOBO is fine...except that fanny kicker of climbing Whitney with a full pack first thing....but if you don't get a Whitney permit...do it anyway and enjoy.

++ New Posts ++