WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

There are so many good choices: make sure the cookware does not "skate" right off the pot supports and have a windscreen (if a canister stove, do not even slightly enclose the canister with the windscreen.

The cookware, burner, fuel source, windscreen need to work together to have a safe and fuel efficient outfit.

I'll go against the flow and recommend a SVEA white gas stove. It uses much cheaper fuel and works well in cold weather. Also, it's elegant.
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

Quote Originally Posted by Feral Bill View Post
    I'll go against the flow and recommend a SVEA white gas stove. It uses much cheaper fuel and works well in cold weather. Also, it's elegant.
    Actually, white gas is getting a bit hard to find along the AT. I loved my SVEA and it still works great, but no way am I'm lugging that thing any distance!

I'll go with the flow and say a canister stove is the best choice for the OP.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Yep, I've got an old 123 as well. Haven't lit it up in ages, but it's fun to dig out occasionally just to watch it go. It has its place, but doesn't seem like the best tool for the job any more to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Feral Bill View Post
    I tend to agree with Bill. Though I use a canister for convenience a lot, for all purpose cooking I would have to go with the MSR Whisperlite (white gas). It has never failed to light up, can burn various fuels, and perform any type of cooking that I could want. If it were just to boil water and simmer type cooking, I would be tempted to say canister.

I've had a Whisperlite for about twenty years and it's a great stove when you need it. However, it doesn't have great flame control (the only real way to simmer is to underpressurize the fuel bottle). It won't work well for the OP's use at all. A canister stove is lighter and has far better overall functionality. Unless you're cooking for a large group or well below freezing, liquid doesn't offer a significant advantage.

Quote Originally Posted by squeezebox View Post
    I went with the Soto windmaster looks like it should be more wind resistant that the others. Other folks experience?
    Also does the pizzo really weigh more than 2 mini bics? Pizzo is real handy.
    The canister stand looks like a good idea, but one more thing to use & carry & break.
    After many years of using a Snow Peak canister stove, I've recently started using this stove. Much faster boil time & better wind resistance compared to the Snow Peak. The clip-on pot stand does concern me a bit. Time will tell.

Disclosure: I used an alcohol stove (Zelph's Fancee Feast Stove) & a 0.9L Evernew pot on my thru-hike. Perfect size pot for my style of cooking: boil, stir ingredients, put in pot cozy, wait 15 min, & eat. If I were to do it again, I'd probably go w/ a canister stove.
    2013 AT Thru-hike: 3/21 to 8/19
    Schedule: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...t1M/edit#gid=0

Images

Another vote for the kovea spider. It's light weight and compact, has great flame adjust ability, and the canister can be inverted for cold weather or to get that last bit of fuel out of the canister.

1,630 miles and counting earlyriser26's Avatar
    Images

MSR pocket rocket or similar canister stove.
    There are so many miles and so many mountains between here and there that it is hardly worth thinking about

Images

http://www.sotooutdoors.com/products/item/od-1r.html

Best of my four stoves. Light, wind deflector available, 1 cup water boil 2 min. Use with Olicamp pot. Love this thing. Other stoves include Pocket Rocket (ok) , Jetboil (too heavy) , Brasslite (just hate alcohol) .

The Esbit stove is the lighest weight, the cheapest, and the easiest to use.

On your non-hiking days, you will most like be in a trailtown, and you can try the local restaurants.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++