WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Images

If you are open to other trails, you could also consider the Wonderland Trail.

Default Start at the beginning?

Quote Originally Posted by BigMartUK View Post
    Hi guys, first poster here from the UK.

BigMart
    Welcome!

I did the Georgia section of the trail a few years ago in spring, and really enjoyed it. (Other sections may be better; I haven't done the whole trail yet.)

You can fly to Atlanta, and then take the subway/train system (MARTA?) to the end of the line north. There is an REI (outdoor shop) nearby, so you can pick up a fuel cannister and dehydrated food or whatever.

There I was picked up from someone for the Hiker Hostel. I don't know if they are still around, but they were friendly and terrific.

They gave me a lift to Dahlonega, where the Hostel is located. They made a grocery store run so hikers could stock up on things. Later that day I was dropped off on the trail. I did the Georgia portion of the AT - about 80 some miles - and they picked me up at the end.

The trail in early spring can be busy - I did this at the beginning of April - but everyone was friendly and I enjoyed the thru-hiker buzz. I also enjoyed following some of the hikers I met via their online trail journals once I returned to the UK.
    (trailname: Paul-from-Scotland)

Hi BigMartUK, I am in the Uk not so far from you I have done half the AT and the JMT. I did an AT section after the JMT from Harpers Ferry to Boiling Springs, there is good rail access to HF from Washington DC.

Don't fret too much about permits for the JMT. Whilst it may not suit everyone I winged the whole thing re permits and resupply-the organising from UK was way too much for me. Join Yahoo group JMT- like on here there is loads of help there.

In Yosemite I obtained a walk up permit in minutes, restricted to a 7 mile first day to Little Yosemite, but anyway that makes sense after all the travelling. I took 5 days resupply from San Francisco, and the bought 5 or so days resupply each time at Tuolumne Meadows, a few bits at Reds Meadow, VVRanch and Muir Trail ranch. The AT can be better socially as people meet up at shelters even if the camp nearby,but the JMT is a lot more scenic and you will meet folks.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++