WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Gold Panning on a Thru

Anyone out there tried panning for gold along the trail? Any luck? So i hear theres gold in them hills. I mean call me crazy but I'm bringing my pan with me on my thru attempt this year. its only another 4 oz. to my pack, so why not. Who knows, i might just find a nice nugget that will cover the cost of my trip!! haha. At the very least it works as a nice plate and gives me something to do when sitting around.
    "Its a long hard walk, but I will walk hard"
    -Dewey Cox

Just don't roil the water at the springs, pisses off everyone! Good luck!
    "every day's a holiday, every meal a feast"

Not much gold in those hills. You might find some pretty rocks though.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Images

now i've heard everything how many other things are you bringing that ONLY weigh 1/4 lb. ?
    I'm so confused, I'm not sure if I lost my horse or found a rope.

Images

It has been a few years since I did the research, but there are pretty significant deposits of gold from Alabama to the DC area. I believe that between Virginia and North Carolina there are about 600+ gold bearing sites, much of that in their piedmonts and foot hills areas. Do your research on the sources of the Rapidan and Rappahannock Rivers, along with Lake Anna's source waters in Virginia. In North Carolina look into potential Pisgah and Nantahala NF panning sites as well.

Theres a creek I have been taking iron ore from, that others are infact taking gold from.
    Last edited by Tuckahoe; 03-19-2015 at 20:05.
    igne et ferrum est potentas
    "In the beginning, all America was Virginia." -​William Byrd

Journal Entries

You usually dont pan at the top of the mountain, and thats where the trail likes to stay. Gold washes downhill and accumulates in places.

Images

Your best chance of finding gold on the AT is probably if someone loses a piece of jewelry at a shelter.
    "That's the thing about possum innards - they's just as good the second day." - Jed Clampett

I was thinking the same thing. As such, you might have better luck with a metal detector. All kidding aside, it is your call. I lugged fishing gear through the 100 mile wilderness. Big mistake. Unless you plan on taking zeros on the trail, there is little time for such ventures. It just ends up being extra weight.
    In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. - Abraham Lincoln

Quote Originally Posted by ctebeau View Post
    Anyone out there tried panning for gold along the trail? Any luck? So i hear theres gold in them hills. I mean call me crazy but I'm bringing my pan with me on my thru attempt this year. its only another 4 oz. to my pack, so why not. Who knows, i might just find a nice nugget that will cover the cost of my trip!! haha. At the very least it works as a nice plate and gives me something to do when sitting around.
    don't listen to the naysayers. plenty of small creeks, streams and rivers to pan. everybody else is rushing to katahdin. you hang back and pan

I saw a couple of people panning on the PCT. But everyone knows that California is the Golden State for a reason. Is it worth it on the AT?

Images

I know several people that hiked the trail free just by panning for gold and tradin it in at the general store in town.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Miner View Post
    I saw a couple of people panning on the PCT. But everyone knows that California is the Golden State for a reason. Is it worth it on the AT?
    Long before CA, North Carolina was the gold state.
    igne et ferrum est potentas
    "In the beginning, all America was Virginia." -​William Byrd

Not possible. Your burro won't be allowed on the trail. Seriously, is your gold pan good for cooking in? That might make it a better idea.
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

I mean hey, all the haters and judgers out there feel free to hate. Im not going out hiking the AT searching for gold by any means. And im not planning on spending a tremendous amount of zeros sitting by a stream digging up dirt. but when I do come across a nice looking spot down in a valley, maybe i will decide to cut the day short and relax by the stream panning a bit. I mean after all isn't that why we all go to the trail. To live a little deliberately and spontaneously.
    -Dewey Cox

Quote Originally Posted by Tuckahoe View Post
    It has been a few years since I did the research, but there are pretty significant deposits of gold from Alabama to the DC area. I believe that between Virginia and North Carolina there are about 600+ gold bearing sites, much of that in their piedmonts and foot hills areas. Do your research on the sources of the Rapidan and Rappahannock Rivers, along with Lake Anna's source waters in Virginia. In North Carolina look into potential Pisgah and Nantahala NF panning sites as well.

Theres a creek I have been taking iron ore from, that others are infact taking gold from.
    And thanks for the advice Tuckahoe!
    -Dewey Cox

No hate here. Your call. I hope you find some. That would be cool. The best plan is the one that works for you. It is all just choices. I have seen the other extreme too. Many thrus are zombies by the time they get to Maine. Many just have their heads down just trying to get to Baxter.
    In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. - Abraham Lincoln

Journal Entries

Of course, Dahlonega GA was the site of the first gold rush in the US. Dahlonega came from the Cherokee word for gold

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Long before CA, North Carolina was the gold state.

Sure was:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Georgia_Gold_Rush

The Georgia Gold Rush was the second significant gold rush in the United States, and overshadowed the previous rush in North Carolina. It started in 1828 in present-day Lumpkin County near the county seat, Dahlonega, and soon spread through the North Georgia mountains, following the Georgia Gold Belt. By the early 1840s, gold became difficult to find. Many Georgia miners moved west when gold was found in the Sierra Nevada in 1848, starting the California Gold Rush.
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

I hope you post about how the panning goes. Regardless of how it goes, someone will be saying I told you so. I might just be you.

Quote Originally Posted by BirdBrain View Post
    I hope you post about how the panning goes. Regardless of how it goes, someone will be saying I told you so. I might just be you.
    I'll make sure to update if i find any luck. Maybe a little buried trail magic?!? but most likely I'll end my hike not a penny richer then i left haha. But its all in good fun
    -Dewey Cox

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++