WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: trail idiots

Were these all incidents from this years journals or from previous years?

The guy with weapons, dogs and kids sounds like squatters to me. That's something law enforcement needs to be notified about. People with tents in shelters are just inconsiderate asses.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Registered User middle to middle's Avatar

Boy scouts, nothing worse.

Quote Originally Posted by middle to middle View Post
    Boy scouts, nothing worse.
    What do they do? As a BSA leader who is about to take our troop on a backpacking trip, I'd like to know what we can do to make sure we don't bother others.
    Time is but the stream I go afishin' in.
    Thoreau

I like Boy Scouts. I was one.

That said, the things that Boy Scouts do that winds up making us move is to show up in a large group and take over. Boundaries are not respected, peace and quiet are not available, and in general they act like a bunch of young boys.

It's not you; it's me.

[QUOTE=Old Hiker;1956583]"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing" - attribution unknown

Edmund Burke:

"To make an end is to make a beginning. The end is where we start from." - T.S. Eliot

Quote Originally Posted by 4eyedbuzzard View Post
    I absolutely avoid confrontation (and association) with people who "open carry" as they often have a sociopolitical agenda. Many are looking to either intimidate other people by an overt display, or are actively seeking a confrontation where they are "forced to defend themselves", thus validating their worldview. Which pretty much equates to them having at minimum some degree of antisocial personality disorder. Either way, I'll move on and keep an eye out for them. The vast majority of responsible gun owners, including most of those who carry concealed, want no part of whackos that have a need to brandish weapons in public. This ain't the wild, wild west.
    Agreed. I have weapons in my home and am a proficient shooter but I'm personally just not comfortable with CC or open carry in most situations.

The guys who open carry in say, the grocery store, or hiking a populated trail almost always DO have a sociopolitical agenda and are just salivating at the chance to defend their views or their person. I avoid them.

The thing about carrying a gun is, are you prepared TO SHOOT SOMEONE? Because that's what a gun is for, and having one on your person is---IMO---inviting that scenario. I think there are circumstances where it is warranted, but the thought of shooting someone and actually firing that weapon into another human being are two completely different things.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by CalebJ View Post
    Every time you run into any issue, no matter how large or small and regardless of whether you're tilting at windmills, you choose to confront?
    if we are going to win the war, YES
    I'm so confused, I'm not sure if I lost my horse or found a rope.

Images

[QUOTE=atraildreamer;1956686]
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Hiker View Post
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing" - attribution unknown

Edmund Burke:

I chased it down to get the exact quote and found there is no consensus about who said it, although it’s attributed to Mr. Burke.
    Old Hiker
    AT Hike 2012 - 497 Miles of 2184
    AT Thru Hiker - 29 FEB - 03 OCT 2016 2189.1 miles
    Just because my teeth are showing, does NOT mean I'm smiling.
    Hányszor lennél inkább máshol?

So here's the worst thing about shelters: If you arrive at a shelter and there are some idiots there, you can move on or set up a tent. If you arrive at an empty shelter and set up, the idiots could arrive later and you probably won't want to move, or it would be awkward to move. Moral of the story: Don't stay at shelters. No more idiot problem.
    HST/JMT August 2016
    TMB/Alps Sept 2015
    PCT Mile 0-857 - Apr/May 2015
    Foothills Trail Feb 2015
    Colorado Trail Aug 2014
    AT: Rockfish Gap to Boiling Springs 2014
    John Muir Trail Aug/Sept 2013

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Coffee View Post
    Moral of the story: Don't stay at shelters. No more idiot problem.
    Exactly what I was thinking ... easy enough to avoid encounters with the a-holes in the first place.
    Remote for detachment, narrow for chosen company, winding for leisure, lonely for contemplation, the Trail beckons not merely north and south, but upward to the body, mind, and soul of man.

Well that explains it. As a rule, I avoid the rodent farms. Maybe that is why I have not seen all these idiots people are talking about. The vast majority of the hikers I have seen are nice people.
    In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. - Abraham Lincoln

Images

Quote Originally Posted by CalebJ View Post
    Every time you run into any issue, no matter how large or small and regardless of whether you're tilting at windmills, you choose to confront?
    http://www.britannica.com/EBchecked/...windows-theory

Why call it “confrontation” ? Until it escalates to that, yes, I pretty much do. Every time you let the idiots get away with their behavior, they are emboldened to continue. If they want to get into my face and make me feel concerned about my safety or the safety of those around me, then they can have all the “confrontation” they choose to have.

And this is being said in a non-confrontational manner. J

Old Hiker
    AT Hike 2012 - 497 Miles of 2184
    AT Thru Hiker - 29 FEB - 03 OCT 2016 2189.1 miles
    Just because my teeth are showing, does NOT mean I'm smiling.
    Hányszor lennél inkább máshol?

Maybe I'm just lucky but I've never encountered one of these "trail idiots". I also avoid shelters so maybe that's where my luck is coming from.
    Smile, Smile, Smile.... Mile after Mile

Images

Oh yeah! Did I make it in before someone bitches and whines about dogs on the trail?
    igne et ferrum est potentas
    "In the beginning, all America was Virginia." -​William Byrd

Quote Originally Posted by 88BlueGT View Post
    Maybe I'm just lucky but I've never encountered one of these "trail idiots". I also avoid shelters so maybe that's where my luck is coming from.
    I have been called an idiot before. Given that we both avoid shelters, your luck might be running out.
    In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. - Abraham Lincoln

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Tuckahoe View Post
    Oh yeah! Did I make it in before someone bitches and whines about dogs on the trail?
    yes you did before i mentioned about the hiker that said he had to send his service dog home..........how did he continue hiking??? "Here's your sign"
    I'm so confused, I'm not sure if I lost my horse or found a rope.

Quote Originally Posted by Walkintom View Post

That said, the things that Boy Scouts do that winds up making us move is to show up in a large group and take over. Boundaries are not respected, peace and quiet are not available, and in general they act like a bunch of young boys.

It's not you; it's me.
    Well, all of the above can be remedied. I will keep them in mind.
    Time is but the stream I go afishin' in.
    Thoreau

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Walkintom View Post

It's not you; it's me.
    I will say, that I camped with a troop of about 12 scouts and three or four adults a few years ago. I have nothing but great things to say about them. We got to the shelter just after they did, they were still sitting around, eating snacks/drinking, relaxing, like we all do initially. My partner and I walked up to the front of the shelter, and one of the adults told them to clear some room for us to sit down, it was done immediately and cheerfully. They then went on to let us know that they would be pitching their tents, and the shelter would be ours for the night.

As time went on, they were discussing one of the leaders and two of the scouts who were not there yet, and comparing notes as to where they had last been seen, and that they seemed to be struggling a bit. It was decided that another adult and three of the older scouts would walk back to find them. About 45 minutes later, they all returned, with the stronger scouts carrying the packs for the others. In the mean time, the boys and adult leaders had all set up their tents, the scouts in front of and to the side of the shelter, the adults behind the shelter. They soon started cooking their dinners. After all had eaten, they cleaned up then hung their bear bags on the bear pole - quite entertaining, with good natured teasing all around.

Several of the scouts started a campfire, which they made a point of inviting us to share. Around 8 PM or so, the adults bid their good-nights, with a simple reminder for the scouts to be courteous and remember that we would like to get some sleep. We crawled into our bags shortly thereafter. The scouts stayed up about a half hour or forty five minutes, then two of the older boys said, ok, time to put out the fire and go to bed - keep the noise down. All the scouts immediately dispersed to their tents, brushed their teeth, put out the fire, and all was quiet, with just the occasional lowered voice or muffled giggle coming from the tents. Within another 15 minutes, all was quiet.

Next morning, I witnessed several of the scouts helping out those that had a difficult time the day before, doing some of their chores for them, and offering to carry some extra weight. This offer was refused, but they were told the offer stood later in the day if needed.

They were an impressive group, even the youngest of the group acted mature and they were definitely "team players". Very good to see. It wasn't all or just the adults that were being courteous and keeping a lid on the youthful exuberance, but the older scouts took their roles seriously as well, and the younger scouts seemed to have full respect for them. Sure seemed to make the adults job easy.

I guess, if more troops found a way to operate in this manner, which I know is the goal of Scouting, they would have a much better reputation. It was a joy to camp with them.

If someone is open carrying legally that's not a problem. Their perceived psychological profiles are not a suitable topic for this discussion board.

The question asked was about actual experiences and resolutions, make sure to stick to topic.
    "Sleepy alligator in the noonday sun
    Sleepin by the river just like he usually done
    Call for his whisky
    He can call for his tea
    Call all he wanta but he can't call me..."
    Robert Hunter & Ron McKernan

Whiteblaze.net User Agreement.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Lyle View Post
    Only twice have I changed plans or been apprehensive about a shelter mate. The worst case was in NJ. There were about 8 of us in the shelter. Later in the evening a man came in with odd gear - not regular hiker gear. He was often mumbling to himself, at other times would engage conversation with individuals, but not the group. While cooking his dinner, he pulled out a machete style knife and made several "jokes" about how effective it was a "sticking" people when necessary. One of the other hikers who this man spoke with, took it upon himself to attempt to evaluate his danger level, so managed to pull him aside for some one on one conversation.

Later, while the subject was at the spring filling his water, theSome of us felt some guilt over our discomfort, but all agreed caution was warranted - always trust your instincts, even if they prove to be wrong occasionally.
    Only on the AT could one feel guilty over having discomfort in that situation.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++