WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default short term vs. long term resupply

Can someone tell me what exactly does the guidebook mean between short term vs. long term resupply...is it merely the difference between amount of choices...i.e mom and pop vs. Food Lion or is there more to it? Thanks!

GA-VA 2005, VA-CT 2007, CT-ME ??
    Images

Yeah, basically selection and volume of food available. Convenience store v. big grocery. Gas station v. national chain. Etc.
    -Mark

True Whistler. Can mean can food and such that you would not want to carry long term but will get you a day or two up the trail to the next store. It is very easy to resupply on the AT and a MUCH better option than mail drops, for most people, IMHO.

Quote Originally Posted by 2008ThruHiker
    Can someone tell me what exactly does the guidebook mean between short term vs. long term resupply...is it merely the difference between amount of choices...i.e mom and pop vs. Food Lion or is there more to it? Thanks!
    I'd say it's the selection that is available at a particular store. Long term resupply is items that a typical hiker would carry for several days. Examples are Liptons, dried fruits, etc.

Short term is items that you probably will not want to carry for several days, such as canned foods.

Depending on the store, I have found good long term resupply in small mom & pop stores that cater to thru-hikers, as well as major supermarkets.

Rocket GA->ME '04
    Images

In the end it kind of depends on how picky you are. I wasn't, so I could essentially ressuply long-term practically anywhere.

++ New Posts ++