WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

I went with the ziplock method, worked fine to get the grime loosened up a bit. Remember not to dump your water out near the spring, nothing pissed me off more than seeing people washing their cloths at the water source.

But wet wipes are just not as good as soap and water.

Quote Originally Posted by squeezebox View Post
    But wet wipes are just not as good as soap and water.
    Yes but wet wipes do work better than hand sanitizer.

I am confused. Are hikers washing clothes with wet wipes and/or hand sanitizer?
    In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. - Abraham Lincoln

Springer to James River Foot Bridge in long sections.

Quote Originally Posted by squeezebox View Post
    How have you washed clothes while on the trail? I've heard of using a zipplock with soap and water, squishing it around a while, empty, rinse. I plan on bringing the bottom 1/2 of a 1/2 gal milk jug to use for bathing and a bit of laundry.
    I never wash clothes on the AT. I wash everything in town, which comes along at least once/week. I once had socks so filthy that they stood up on their own and the grit was chaffing my skin. A thorough rinsing in a stream returned them to "useable" and I washed them at the next town.

Quote Originally Posted by BirdBrain View Post
    I am confused. Are hikers washing clothes with wet wipes and/or hand sanitizer?
    I hope not, that wouldn't work very well. Expanding the discussion to "washing xyz on the trail" would include the body and therefore wet wipes.

I've taken a few "shopping bag" showers on the trail. Well, at least to wash my hair and face.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Images

Washing clothes using various methods is no problem. Getting them to dry is another thing. The forecast for east TN and NC mountains this weekend is for high temps in the 30s w/snow flurries. A bit warmer next week with highs near 50*. It was 72* here in Greeneville TN today but only 46* @noon just north of Camp Creek Bald firetower. Some hikers determine the temperature by how much they're sweating. You can work up a good sweat on an arctic expedition. A thermometer is a good investment but few hikers carry them....
    Sleep on the ground, rise with the sun and hike with the wind....

Registered User 2015 Lady Thru-Hiker's Avatar
    Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    I've taken a few "shopping bag" showers on the trail. Well, at least to wash my hair and face.
    How does that work Slo-go'en?
    ““Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. Nature's peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees....” ― John Muir

Since we're expanding the discussion a bit......For a light weight field shower, I will carry an extra cap for my Gatorade water bottle. The cap has several holes drilled in it like a shower head, which makes it nice to rinse off.
    Go afield with a good attitude, with respect for the wildlife you hunt, and the forest and field in which you walk. Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul.--Fred Bear

www.misadventuregear.com

for socks and undies I use my cooking pot. It is the right size for the job. Yes I too rinse it out afterward.

Showering with a plastic shopping bag:

Quote Originally Posted by 2015 Lady Thru-Hiker View Post
    How does that work Slo-go'en?
    I fill the bag with water and hang it from a tree branch, then tilt it to pour some water over my head, wash with some liquid soap and rinse.

I don't use water bladders, but they make good showers too. If you have some time to kill you can lay the bladder in the sun for a few hours and have warm water to wash with.

It's a good idea to carry a little liquid soap, a hunk of bar soap and a small towel. Sometimes these are not available at the community shower and sometimes you can score a shower at campgrounds. And of course, the wilderness shower during the summer when you just can't stand sleeping with yourself anymore.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

To lighten the load on wet wipes I read an article that recommended drying them out then just refreshing them with water. I'm going to try that this year. That said, I can't see washing anything unless you're more than a week from civilization. As one poster said, I'd rather have something dirty and dry than clean and damp.

Also, if you have a dry bag, say for your sleeping bag, wouldn't that suffice for washing machine? Fold it inside out, fill with water, wash, and then reverse to dry and use the next day for your bag.

I jump in a nice water hole with my clothes on and soak for a while and then twist them out and hang them on my pack to dry, I don't use soap I don't think it is needed, If you a nude hiker you don't need to worry about cloths lol Joke....

Quote Originally Posted by 12trysomething View Post
    The day 2 wet wipes a day become too heavy I will hang up my pack.

I like to keep areas fresh and clean . . . . Every morning and night.
    Haa...honestly u can let em dry out then just put lil water on them before use...works good...they rehydrate well...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Do not spoil the water source for any reason, bathing, washing, you or your dog. If I dumped my dirty socks in your pot of Ramen, how would you feel? Just don't do it. Ever.
    I see your point of using your cooking pot for washing yourself or clothes. But my 0.4 oz bottom half of a half milk jug means I don't have to wash out the cooking pot all the time. And I'm not boiling water after I just washed my butt.

Images

Regarding laundry:

You can pretty much always do it in town on the AT. When hiking in true wilderness with bear canisters, the following works well --
    1) Fill two bear canisters with water.
    2) Carry canisters away from water source.
    3) Add a few drops of Dr. Bronner's to one canister.
    4) Wash clothes in soapy canister.
    5) Rinse clothes in second canister.
    6) Hang clothes on line or else spread on rocks to dry.

Regarding personal hygiene: I have three luxury items that I carry despite weight. The first is a toothbrush that holds a charge for a week and a half (I also floss, but I don't consider that heavy enough to be a luxury item). The second is biodegradable wet wipes (not dried out) -- I use and bury two to three a day to clean myself as much as possible. The third doesn't involve hygiene -- I like to carry some scotch.

This washing machine fits in a purse

Images

No need for milk jug basin. I use a gallon ziploc freezer bag. Fold down the sides about 3 inches and it'll hold water fairly decently for a "bucket bath". When done, you can add socks and briefs, close the bag and agitate. All this is done well away from water sources. If they don't dry overnight, they are safety pinned to the back of the pack the next day to complete drying.
    Last edited by handlebar; 03-30-2015 at 17:43.
    Handlebar
    GA-ME 06; PCT 08; CDT 10,11,12; ALT 11; MSPA 12; CT 13; Sheltowee 14; AZT 14, 15; LT 15;FT 16;NCT-NY&PA 16; GET 17-18

Be careful about drying clothes on the back of your pack. You can't see them as they fall off. Others see them on the trail. The mesh pocket on the back of your pack or in your pants may be a better idea.
    In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. - Abraham Lincoln

Use large safety pins to attach your wet clothes to the back of your pack. Holds them securely against loss. I'm with the zip-lock crowd, for basin and washing machine. Always doing my dirty business well away from water sources, trails, and shelters.

LNT
    AKA "DANGER" AT Thru-Hiker Class of 2015

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++