Default PCT Mosquito Pressure?

Where will I be most likely to get hit hard by Mosquitos on a PCT thru?

Registered Offender

It depends on the mountain moisture content, fires, late season snow and snow melt, temperatures, etc. Mosquitoes have an operating temperature of about 50-95 degrees in the Sierra before they begin to retreat. They can handle greater heat, but not direct sunlight. Expect them to be bad in Desolation Wilderness, as the weather is typically warmer for thru-hikers than it is during their navigation through the southern half of the Sierra. But again, it all depends. I recall the Sierra Riviera (Benson Lake) being one of the worst spots, to the point that it was hard to enjoy the scenery. Carry chemicals or head-to-toe coverage of some sort.

The Sierra and beyond is where the mosquitoes be. I employ a cuben fiber rain suit, and headnet, for when **** really hits the fan. Slather yourself in DEET all you want, the mozzies dont give an F.

I'll be using running shorts and a merino top but I think I'll swap them out for nylon pants and shirt when I get into the Sierra. I've also got a headnet

I suppose I could use my wind pants instead of the nylon pants.

Registered Offender

I grew up in the Sierra and only when I was young did I bat an eye when someone came hiking down the trail on a 90-degree sunny day dressed in rain pants, gloves, a windbreaker and a headnet. At times, such a dress code is just about mandatory. One other option however is to outrun the bloodsuckers, though that's tough to do with a loaded pack on.

When the mosquitos are buzzing a headnet is worth it's weight in gold. You will also need a hat to cover the top of yoir head and to keep the net spread. Anywhere the net lays against your head they can still bite you through it. Two years ago experienced a hatching of little black biting flies that make mosquitos look pleasant. It was early season and only lasted for a few days just south of Reds Mdw, Mammoth Lakes. At the end of the day could not get my shelter up fast enough.

Be careful with your breathing when the bugs are bad, mouth open gasping for breath is a good way to inhale one of them. That can potientially be a trip ender if it causes a lung infection.

Casey
    Sonora Pass Resupply

Garlic
    Images

Just when I thought I was past the worst of them, out of the Sierra, I ran into another hatch, fewer but larger and more aggressive, in Oregon. In the Sierra, they were extremely numerous but very small and the bites weren't too bad, I thought.

I never saw the biting flies sonora pass resupply mentioned on my PCT hike, but I did encounter them when I lived in the WA Cascades years before and you'd better hope you don't. They don't actually bite--they set the table, take out a knife and fork, and have a nice little meal that you won't forget about for several weeks.

Ditto all the advice above about long sleeves, trousers, hat and headnet. Permethrin on everything including socks. Take breaks and find campsites on breezy ridges. Carry your camp water (the bottles will even hold a few mosquitoes for good measure) away from the lakes.
    "Throw a loaf of bread and a pound of tea in an old sack and jump over the back fence." John Muir on expedition planning

they can definitely be bad on oregon. the ones i encountered there were much faster than the ones in the sierra. i couldn't even outrun some of them and they remained active throughout the night, albeit slightly slower.

I'm including DEET in my Kennedy Meadows box. I'll probably just carry my headnet throughout the hike. I always hike in long pants and a long sleeve shirt. However, mosquitoes can bite right through my shirt. I put on my wind/rain shell if stationary when the mosquitoes are out.
    HST/JMT August 2016
    TMB/Alps Sept 2015
    PCT Mile 0-857 - Apr/May 2015
    Foothills Trail Feb 2015
    Colorado Trail Aug 2014
    AT: Rockfish Gap to Boiling Springs 2014
    John Muir Trail Aug/Sept 2013

Northern Yosemite consistently has the worse mosquitoes. People fear the Sierra for a reason. If it was a wet year or you are hiking towards the front of the pack., you'll have them in Northern Cal and especially parts of Oregon. Oregon usually ranks 2nd after the Sierra, though if you arrive late enough they won't bother you. I entered on the 18th of Aug and only noticed them in the sisters wilderness. Those 2 weeks ahead were complaining loudly about them.

When I hike in the Sierra, I wear long pants and shirt treated with permithrin and rarely use DEET at all as I don't need it. Its been the only thing that has worked for me after trying everything over 20+years there.

When I hiked the PCT, I wore Railrider brand pants and shirt which have mesh down the sides. Never did feel like I needed shorts. When you are in direct sunlight, covering up with light layers is cooler though you may feel dryer in shorts. In the shade is the opposite, but shade is lacking until after Tahoe.

Being treated with permithrin meant that I only used DEET for 2 days on the entire trail ( both in northern Yosemite).

Garlic
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Miner View Post
    ...Being treated with permithrin meant that I only used DEET for 2 days on the entire trail ( both in northern Yosemite).
    This was my experience as well. I use DEET very sparingly, after my hiking partner/spouse mistakenly ingested some and had some medical problems for a couple of days on the PCT. Permethrin is probably equally as toxic, but I feel better that I don't apply it directly to my skin and I don't apply it in the field.

One trick I noticed in the Sierra is that the mosquitoes didn't bother me as much if I were sitting in the sun. This could be totally bogus, but I reasoned I was warmer and didn't show up as well on the infrared spectrum. It was a trade-off--cooler shade or fewer bugs. And it could have been my imagination, which gets pretty active on a long hike.
    "Throw a loaf of bread and a pound of tea in an old sack and jump over the back fence." John Muir on expedition planning

South Oregon (up to Sisters, where they vanished) was 200 miles of hell for me. Video link below is the biggest reason I carried a full tent.

https://plus.google.com/photos/108241234654640523618/albums/5382282214093573697/5382284503024049250?banner=pwa&authkey=COmrn9H8jIX 2rgE&pid=5382284503024049250&oid=10824123465464052 3618

For me, way back in '96, it was around July 1st, just after Yosemite, and they only lasted about 10 days.
    A headnet was a great relief.
    And a tent with some bug netting.
    Before and after that, they weren't bad at all.
    I agree with whoever said it probably depends on snow melt and moisture content for your year.
    Blackflies in Maine in late spring are a similar nuisance.
    Don't let your fears stand in the way of your dreams

Mosquitos don't seem to be as bad in full sun is something I've also found to be the case, When they are bad taking a break in the shade will cause them to swarm, doesn't seem as bad in the sun. The more wind, the better it is. They tend to hunker down when the wind is blowing.

Images

Yosemite but deet did the trick.
    Everything is in Walking Distance

++ New Posts ++