WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Boot Break-in & Sore Calves?

I have been breaking in a new pair of Asolo TPS 535 V boots. These are full leather hiking boots and are actually quite comfortable overall. I have around 30 miles on them so far and feel like they are pretty well broken in. But concurrent with breaking in the boots, I have started to notice some pretty significant soreness in my calves when I go running, and also my left foot feels kind of sore at times. I'm thinking that the fact that this surfaced while also breaking in the boots might indicate causation ... otherwise, I haven't changed anything in my workout routine. I typically have been running 30-40 miles per week and ran a marathon in late January, and I never get this type of calf soreness just from running. I've moved to running 3-4 times per week (15-20 miles) and doing elliptical on the other days to try to deal with this. It's kind of freaking me out since I start the PCT three weeks from today. I will be hiking in trail runners on the PCT until the Sierra where I currently plan to change to boots (however, if the snow conditions do not change, I may stick with trail runners throughout).

Has anyone else experienced sore calves when breaking in new hiking boots, or switching between over-the-ankle footwear and lighter trail runners?
    HST/JMT August 2016
    TMB/Alps Sept 2015
    PCT Mile 0-857 - Apr/May 2015
    Foothills Trail Feb 2015
    Colorado Trail Aug 2014
    AT: Rockfish Gap to Boiling Springs 2014
    John Muir Trail Aug/Sept 2013

Images

I experienced the same calf soreness and some associated tenderness in my heel when switching from a lightweight trail runner to a stiffer hiking shoe that had a different heel cup construction which grasped more of my heel. I switched back to the trail runner and the soreness and pain went away. YMMV.

Given the length of time until you leave for the PCT, I would stick with what already works for you and I would not switch from the trail runners to the boot in the Sierras. Stick with what got you there.
    Remote for detachment, narrow for chosen company, winding for leisure, lonely for contemplation, the Trail beckons not merely north and south, but upward to the body, mind, and soul of man.

I think that I've broken in the boots well enough at this point so I'm probably not going to walk in them much more before I leave. I'm going to put them in my Kennedy Meadows box and then make a game time decision on footwear when I get there. From reports I'm reading now, there may be hardly any snow by late May unless there are big storms in April. My trail runners perform really poorly on snow and ice.
    HST/JMT August 2016
    TMB/Alps Sept 2015
    Foothills Trail Feb 2015
    Colorado Trail Aug 2014

I am thinking there is a difference in the insoles between the trail runners and the boots. Try using the same insoles in both.
    "You don't have to think fast if you move slow" Red Green

Clueless Weekender
    Journal Entries

I tend to be of the "stick with what is working" persuasion also. I've worn microspikes with trail runners many times. Of course, they're obviously not stiff enough to wear with full crampons or warm enough for subzero conditions, and so I do switch to winter boots eventually. I don't know enough about snowfield travel in the West to have a good idea for what you need in the way of traction.
    I always know where I am. I'm right here.

The "boots vs. trail runners" for the Sierra debate is pretty much endless and more a matter of personal preference. I'm more interested, in the context of this thread, on the physical symptoms that could result from breaking in traditional boots so that I can either attribute my calf soreness to this factor or perhaps seek out another explanation.
    HST/JMT August 2016
    TMB/Alps Sept 2015
    Foothills Trail Feb 2015
    Colorado Trail Aug 2014

I ditch the stock insoles in trailrunners and my heavier fall and winter boots and interchange montrail heat moldable inserts between each. I find it really helps with the transition in spring and fall. I am also impressed on how long the Montrails last. I like them much better than superfeet.

Try loosening up the lacing over the top couple of grommets around the ankle and see if the soreness eases up.

++ New Posts ++