WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Driving to (and parking at) Cooper Gap, GA

I'm hoping to leave a car at Cooper Gap, 11ish miles south of Springer. As in, if you were going southbound, the first place that the AT crosses USFS 42. I can't find any information on whether the USFS 42/Coopers Gap Rd is driveable with a non-4WD car, and/or whether either of the other two dirt roads that go to the same gap are driveable if USFS 42 is not. Anyone know??

Thanks,
    Alicia

Section Hiker

I've been there a couple times, dropped off and picked up by shuttlers. There were several cars parked around. I recall the road being okay but it was last June.

"Your comfort zone is a beautiful place, but nothing ever grows there.
    "

Thanks. I guess it may depend on how rainy it is, too...hopefully not very!

I suggest you contact Ron Brown (shuttle service). He regularly drives those FS roads and would be able to give you good info. No connection to him except used his shuttle service--good guy. Here is this contact info: Phone 706-669-0919 Email:[email protected]

Quote Originally Posted by maptester View Post
    I suggest you contact Ron Brown (shuttle service). He regularly drives those FS roads and would be able to give you good info. No connection to him except used his shuttle service--good guy. Here is this contact info: Phone 706-669-0919 Email:[email protected]
    Ron is great! I emailed him a question about the condition of FS 42 heading to the Springer Mtn parking lot and he got back to me in under 5 minutes. Thanks for posting his contact info.

A couple of points of clarification: Cooper Gap is NORTH of Springer by about 11 or so miles. FS 42 is a significant dirt road which is crossed twice by the trail before it reaches Cooper Gap. The easiest distinction for finding Cooper Gap is to go up Cooper Gap Road from Camp Merrill which is at the end of Camp Wasega road. This end of FS 42 is usually in pretty good shape. I have seen it passable in all types of weather by all types of passenger cars.

If you add where you are coming from or how you are leaving Cooper Gap it might be possible to give a little more information.

++ New Posts ++