WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Default coffee advice please

Hey so what have you all used to make coffee in the morning? I've read about instant, drip, and press. What have you found to be the best?

Images

Starbucks Via
    Remote for detachment, narrow for chosen company, winding for leisure, lonely for contemplation, the Trail beckons not merely north and south, but upward to the body, mind, and soul of man.

Instant. I like to put it in with chocolate protein powder, and some powdered milk or cream. 2 birds with 1 stone.

Images

Via is very good -- has the best aroma, good flavor, but expensive.

The tubes of Nescafe instant don't smell as good, but taste about the same in a side by side test conducted by a pair of serious coffee nerds. They are a lot cheaper.

The Starbucks Iced Via is just about manna from heaven for summer no-stove hiking. One packet and 16oz of cold creek water is delicious.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

Images

I've gone through drip with a cone and ground coffee, coffee bags, Taster's choice packets. I've avoided what I consider way to expensive Starbucks Via, since I don't care for Starbucks brewed coffee in least, always tastes burned to me. What I have settled on over the past several years is Nescafe Classico instant. Just buy a jar, dump it in a ziplock and have virtually as much coffee as you want, no fuss, no muss, and it tastes reasonable good. Is readily available at Dollar General, Walmart, most supermarkets, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by SteelCut View Post
    Starbucks Via
    ^^^^^
    This!
    I have tried them all. Columbian version. Lightest option for tolerable coffee.
    In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. - Abraham Lincoln

I'll 2nd the Cafe Bustello recommendation, and I was stoked to find it in single serve packets at Kroger last week for CHEAP.

Starbucks Via is better than anything else I have tried.

You could always kick the ole coffee habit...

I carry Via.

Images

Tried them all, including those less expensive ones suggested on WB threads; nothing touches SB Via (except, of course, real brewed coffee). I like the Italian or French Roast, but Columbia Via's are cheaper (they sell them at Costco for 66 cents each).

Images

Ditto on Starbucks Via. I only buy it when it is on-sale and stock up.
    Actually, I weened myself off coffee while on the trail when I was younger. I saved fuel, water, and time plus the coffee made me pee more and I had to drink more water in the day. One or two days of mild headaches was the only issue.

Nowadays, I'm in no hurry and I can't do without some coffee on most days.

I'm not a coffee snob but I can't stomach instant, cowboy coffee for me. Put 1/4 c coffee and 1/4 c sugar (any kind) in Ziploc. In the evening after cooking dinner add the Ziploc to about 20 oz water in cooking pot and sit it on the stove. Light the stove in the morning and bring to boil while knocking down camp. Take off stove and let steep for 5 min. Sit down and ponder over coffee while waiting for enough light to walk.

I like to drink green tea and herbal tea when I hike, but I certainly enjoy the taste of brewed coffee. I take some Medaglia d'Oro instant with me, but mostly for medicinal purposes (to combat coffee withdrawal headache). And when I get to a town, I indulge in a cup or two with a big hiker breakfast.

Sugar? Sugar!? Next thing you know people will be suggesting putting Nido in their coffee. I just like coffee in my coffee.
    In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. - Abraham Lincoln

Peakbagger Extraordinaire The Solemates's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BirdBrain View Post
    Sugar? Sugar!? Next thing you know people will be suggesting putting Nido in their coffee. I just like coffee in my coffee.
    here here!

I usually pack coffee "bags". Just like tea bags, they seep. they are light weight, inexpensive, and taste good. i havent found an instant powder coffee that tastes good, but I also havent tried Starbucks Via because I cant bring myself to pay that much for trail coffee.
    The only thing better than mountains, is mountains where you haven't been.

amongnature.blogspot.com

I have tried SB VIA and am not impressed.

Try KAVA instant. Flavor and price are both more palatable that SB.

http://www.kavacoffee.com/

Journal Entries
    Images

How do those compare with the single serve Mount Hagan tubes from Whole Foods?

Lately I have been drinking that at home. Not as good as my best brewed coffee-- but much more constant, no clean up and very drinkable.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by OCDave View Post
    I have tried SB VIA and am not impressed.

Try KAVA instant. Flavor and price are both more palatable that SB.

http://www.kavacoffee.com/
    Already tried it, on your earlier recommendation. Horrible. Isn't it weird how we all have different tastes?

Has anyone tried the Cold Brew process? A local barista here does it one way. I was thinking of trying to put water before I go to bed in a Naglene with a coffee attachment and letting it sit over night with coffee in water. In the morning, just bringing a little bit of heat to the liquid without the grounds, as they were in the mesh container, and add condiments of creamer and sugar.

Quote Originally Posted by colorado_rob View Post
    Already tried it, on your earlier recommendation. Horrible. Isn't it weird how we all have different tastes?
    Sorry, It didn't work for you.

I have an aquantance who immigrated from Lebanon. He claims SANKA is the most popular coffe in that country. I remember the commercials from when I was a kid but, I don't think I have seen it on my store's shelves. I have never tried it but apparently it is well received in the Middle East.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++