WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Advice Please.

Default Advice Please.

Hello everyone. I've recently decided that I am planning on thru hiking the AT starting early June. It's a very long story on why I'm doing this but I have a few questions. When telling friends, family etc about hiking the AT, anyone else get "are you crazy?" "What are you thinking?" "What is wrong with you?" I've gotten no support with this decision. I am quitting my job and plan on going alone. My 13 year relationship is practically over and I feel completely lost and need some "direction." I've been wanting to hike the AT for years but have always made excuses on why I couldn't. I have this overwhelming sense that now is the right time. I need to just get away for a bit and challenge myself to accomplish goal. Not only am I just wanting to thru hike the AT but I plan on filming it as well. I have a side job, mainly in the summer, filming weddings. I become pretty good at it and I have always had a dream of shooting a documentary. I want this experience to be that doc. Any advice would be appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not sure what advice your looking for? How to shoot a documentary? Is going on a thru hike a good idea?

First, go to youtube. There are 100's of videos about the AT. Watch a bunch of them to see what others have produced.

If you want to leave early June, you don't have much time to prepare. Are you already an experienced backpacker and have all the gear or are you starting from scratch? Do you have sufficient money? What are you going to do with all your stuff while your gone? Any bills which will have to be paid monthly? Do you have a "Plan B" in case something happens and you can't continue or decide to go home (which 70-75% do at some point, some sooner then later)?
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

If you are starting in June, you may want to consider a SOBO.
    Whether you think you can, or think you can't--you're right--Henry Ford; The Journey Is The Destination

Slo' is right. Lots of docs on youtube. Squatch's are great!! As far as hiking the trail, just do it. Either go SOBO or start NOBO in NY and flip back down after ME. Let it happen organically but go prepared, start that process yesterday. Get the guide book, get a book or two on the AT. Read Trail Journals. You have a famous person that hiked the trail a few years ago in your hometown btw. A wealth of info in her brain. Mamaw B is her trail name. Look her up on TJ. Or drive to Erwin and talk to hikers passing thru Uncle Johnny's Hostel for advice. Lots to do! Just do it!! Good luck!! You got this!!

Re-reading my post. It was unclear what my questions were. Sorry, I was rambling. I'm not an experienced hiker as some. I do have some gear but not a lot. Money and my things will not be a problem. I'm not rich, so I will have to be on a budget.

I know 2 months is a short time to prepare but I believe it's now or never. Just needing some advice trying to do this. Thanks again.

I would have started earlier but I have commitments up to May 30th. I know it's a long shot that I could even finish the trail but I have (need) to try.

Quote Originally Posted by Turk6177 View Post
    If you are starting in June, you may want to consider a SOBO.
    Or an alternate itinerary where you split the trail into pieces. That might make for a different spin on your documentary.
    "Sleepy alligator in the noonday sun
    Sleepin by the river just like he usually done
    Call for his whisky
    He can call for his tea
    Call all he wanta but he can't call me..."
    Robert Hunter & Ron McKernan

Whiteblaze.net User Agreement.

So going NOBO in June is no good?

It's doable if you are fast, but that's a late start date. There are multiple options to hiking the whole trail beyond going NOBO.
    Call for his whisky
    He can call for his tea

Call for his whisky
    He can call for his tea

I found that the people who didn't support my hike mostly never accomplished anything in their lives.

Images

You can plan in two months if you get at it. I would also recommend some multi day trips carrying the filming gear you want to take. That kind of thing can change what else you can comfortably carry due to weight/bulk issues.

Regarding making a film. Yes a LOT of films have been made about hiking the AT, but, by far, most of them are about north bound thru hikes. With your timing, conventional wisdom says a south bound hike is in order. I think that would be a good addition to the library of films available, interesting and helpful. You must understand, however, that the party/social aspect of the AT is a much, much smaller part of the the experience for a south bound hike.

Finally, do research here on Whiteblaze and a few other online sites that are available, but keep in mind, there is no "right" way to hike or "right" gear to carry. Opinions are as varied as the folks espousing them. Also gear does not make or break many, if any, hikes. I think the best option for you is to find an experienced long distance hiker, preferably one near your location, who is willing to give you some one on one advice. Pick someone you know, or someone here on Whiteblaze who, in your reading of posts, seems reasonable and compatible with your sense of the type hike you wish to have. You know, AT Purist vs more relaxed set of rules, Party Animal vs Nature Child, Tech Gear Head vs More old school approach, Ultra Light weight vs Light weight (I will say, avoid those who carry 35+ pounds today - that isn't necessary). I think picking one or two individual mentors will greatly simplify your prep, and since the gear itself is one of the less critical aspects, you will have a much less difficult time preparing than if you try to decipher all the nuances of gear for yourself - that has lead to paralysis for many first-time hikers.

Personal reasons abound for deciding to take a long distance hike. Few of us are blessed with fully supportive family and friends, but many of them come around once the process begins, and they see you have thought things through and are committed. For those who don't understand, just try to remain positive and realize that this lifestyle isn't everyone's cup of tea, but for those of us for whom it is - MAN what an excellent cup of tea it is!

It's mostly a mental game you are undertaking, as such NEVER quit on a bad day, but wait for sunshine and a full belly to decide whether to continue on or not.

Good Luck and HAVE FUN!
    Last edited by Lyle; 03-26-2015 at 09:36.

Images

A less than well seasoned hiker, starting June 1st, whatever the starting point and itinerary, and then also allowing for all the extra time and effort required to shoot footage, transport and manage video equipment (in lots of weather unfriendly to video/film gear), etc., just sounds awfully optimistic. Maybe think about choosing one or the other. Commit to a thru-hike or commit to shooting some trail video of a long section hike. Just trying to be realistic.
    "That's the thing about possum innards - they's just as good the second day." - Jed Clampett

Images

Quote Originally Posted by 4eyedbuzzard View Post
    A less than well seasoned hiker, starting June 1st, whatever the starting point and itinerary, and then also allowing for all the extra time and effort required to shoot footage, transport and manage video equipment (in lots of weather unfriendly to video/film gear), etc., just sounds awfully optimistic. Maybe think about choosing one or the other. Commit to a thru-hike or commit to shooting some trail video of a long section hike. Just trying to be realistic.
    Some excellent points and considerations to think about. Impossible? No way. Potentially very difficult? Yeah.

That said, if you start out with your dream, but find it too difficult, not much fun, or physically impractical, there is no rule against changing the focus of your hike to one or the other at any point. Just follow my advice above about when to decide to quit or make a change of focus.

Journal Entries

Some great advice here. SOBO may be best for your time-frame. But do check other options like sections or flipping. If you do SOBO, I'll just share that I chose that as well and I had little experience on my trip- and other than the great people I met and was with, I really don't have any fond memories of Maine. It was tough mentally and physically! The trail was not fun for me 'til New Hampshire. I look forward to seeing Maine again in the near future under better circumstances :-) Just trying to say, "Be prepared". As much as possible. You have a grand adventure spread out before you and you should take it! Best of luck!

Quote Originally Posted by tnfilmmaker View Post
    I know 2 months is a short time to prepare but I believe it's now or never. Just needing some advice trying to do this. Thanks again.

June is too late to start a NOBO from Springer MT, I would do a Flip-Flop, get one of those wall sized maps and look at it start someplace in the middle like NJ or NY or maybe northern PA and head north to Katahdin them come back to the point you started and head south to Springer.

Quote Originally Posted by RED-DOG View Post
    June is too late to start a NOBO from Springer MT, I would do a Flip-Flop, get one of those wall sized maps and look at it start someplace in the middle like NJ or NY or maybe northern PA and head north to Katahdin them come back to the point you started and head south to Springer.
    or start in July on Katahdin and do a SOBO thru hike to springer. and theirs always next year to fully prepare yourself for it.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Bronk View Post
    I found that the people who didn't support my hike mostly never accomplished anything in their lives.
    You sound kind of bitter.

The notion that anyone should receive unanimous support for taking a six month hiking vacation is honestly absurd. Of course there will be people who don't think it is a good idea. For some people, thru-hiking is a reasonable decision, if that person has the time, funding, and aren't leaving a whirlwind of $#!& in their wake. And for other people, thru-hiking is probably a terrible decision. They quit good jobs, strain and/or sever relationships, all for what is a very selfish indulgence. And then most of them from either group don't succeed at thru-hiking anyway.

I don't think there is any correlation between the support a person on the sidelines gives or doesn't give and their own accomplishments in life, regarding their choice to support or not support any particular other individual's decision to thru-hike.

And as for thru-hiking itself, I've met people with lots of accomplishments in life who thru-hiked, and I've also met thru-hikers who have few if any other accomplishments in life. It cuts both ways. There's a lot more to life than walking.
    "That's the thing about possum innards - they's just as good the second day." - Jed Clampett

Thanks everyone. I guess it's back to the drawing board. I appreciate everyone's advice.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++