WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Casio SGW300-1AV Multifunction Watch

I needed a new altimeter watch and saw this one on a google search. Got it for 39$ on amazon. Dang good watch for the price! I read all the reviews and there were some where people had problems or the watch quit working. Mine has been functioning fine for a month. Lets me track altitude on climbs and descents and note the falling/rising barometric pressure. I didn't want to pay hundreds for the same performance and this one work as well or better than my last more expensive one. I recommend it!

Images

Yes! A second big thumbs up. I have one too, best little altimeter watch I've owned, even after spending $200 on a Suunto (kinda the mountaineering standard altimeter watch). I've had mine for about 1.5 years now, no problems whatsoever, still on original battery too.

Too bad I spent full-price $60 at REI... I think I'll buy a second one on Amazon at that price.

I found that over the years the buttons where the weak point on Casios, they would usually last the life of the battery but generally would start to fail half way through the next battery. I switched to High Gear watches and they seem to last longer. Casios also tend to have smaller displays. In general I would take a look at highgear but at $39 the Casio is worth it as they tend to get battle scarred after a year or two.

Quote Originally Posted by peakbagger View Post
    I found that over the years the buttons where the weak point on Casios, they would usually last the life of the battery but generally would start to fail half way through the next battery. I switched to High Gear watches and they seem to last longer. Casios also tend to have smaller displays. In general I would take a look at highgear but at $39 the Casio is worth it as they tend to get battle scarred after a year or two.
    display on this casio is huge (and welcome). I had a high gear that served me well, but for the $ this casio appears to be better.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by juma View Post
    display on this casio is huge (and welcome). I had a high gear that served me well, but for the $ this casio appears to be better.
    Yeah, plenty big, even for my old eyes. I even use mine for my regular watch. No button malfunctions yet...

Journal Entries
    Images

I have one of these as well. I carried it on my 2014 JMT thru & I also recommend it.
    Take Time to Watch the Trees Dance with The Wind........Then Join In........

++ New Posts ++