WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Required to stay in shelters in the Smokies unless they are full.

Quote Originally Posted by sydneymkay View Post
    I will be hiking NOBO from May to late august- how much insulation and warmth will I need? I have a hennessy ultralite backpacker and a 40* marmot bag right now.
    I used a hammock for the first time Oct 18-21, 2015. I used the Hennessy Standard. I have a 35* marmot bag. The first night got a bit chilly because it was windy (mid to high 30s, low 30s or high 20s with windchill but don't know for certain). But other than that, all I used was a sleeping pad (no underquilt). Other nights probably got to low 40s or high 30s (but don't know for certain).

I loved the experience and will probably hammock camp going forward; however, I took the one I used back. I'm 6'4'' and my only complaint was needing 1-3 inches more room, which the Deluxe provides room up to 7'. I plan on buying the longer hammock at a later date.

I will consider buying an underquilt if I ever camp in weather 10-15 degrees colder than it was on my trip in mid October.

Quote Originally Posted by FlyFishNut View Post
    I have a question - (not to hijack your thread and it is related). I mainly bought a hammock to use in the summer when it's really hot and to keep from baking in my tent. Don't get me wrong, I'd love to sleep in a hammock in the cold, but it seems like a huge increase in sleeping gear and costs. Please correct me if I'm wrong (and I hope I am - b/c I'd love to be a winter hammocker).
    If you like it in the summer... you will like it in the winter. The only issue with a hammock is insulation from below to stop air from stealing your heat. It is a learning curve that you start off cheap with your tent sleeping bag and pad. Stick with that until you decide to go with the UQ then the TQ. UQ's go from 3/4 to full length and lower cost synthetic to high cost down. Most try to get away with one UQ to start and that seems to be the 20º. My system is a 3/4 Down UQ with the Thermarest Z-Lite for use in the Smokies and below 10º. Anywhere else, I just take a Dutch Sit pad for my feet and a $300 Truck Window Shade as a back up pad. Haven't used either pad yet. The one thing different is that I now alway's have a hat or head covering for bed. If my feet get cold I slap that on my head. Even nights in the 40º to 50º will warm up nicely with a hat. With TQ's you don't have the advantage of a mummy bag hood but my TQ/UQ is less weight than my 20º mummy bag. If interested: UQ = 12.3 oz and TQ = 19.5 oz.

I cannot see myself going back to the ground if I can avoid it. The main reason is a more comfortable sleep without worrying about a clean site to pitch and lay on. I swing above the muck, wet, and roots. But weight will work out however you want to work it out. Cost is Cost. Hike your own hike but don't give up on the hammock. One last suggestion - stretch it to 3 seasons and enjoy the tent in the deep winter. Pretty soon your tent will be staying home all year long.
    "gbolt" on the Trail

I am Third

We are here to help one another along life's journey. Keep the Faith!

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCik...NPHW7vu3vhRBGA

Pads aren't as comfortable, but if you're on a budget a wal-mart foam pad is super cheap and very light. I'd start with a pad before I invested in an underquilt, especially if you are new to hammock camping.

+1 to gbolts comment.

$300.00 for a truck window shade?
    Miles to go before I sleep. R. Frost

Quote Originally Posted by Dochartaigh View Post
    The entire point for most people who choose a hammock is because, for them, it's so much more comfortable than sleeping in a tent. Those same people, by the vast majority, find an underquilt to be exponentially more comfortable than using a pad in a hammock. So in a nutshell (speaking for myself and a large portion of hammockers) using a pad in a hammock defeats the entire purpose of using a hammock to begin with. YMMV or course as it's all personal preference.

If I had the choice of using a pad in a hammock, or sleeping in a tent with said pad, I'd vote for the tent.

This comment 100%. after you go UQ its not often you will go back. After I used a pad for over a year i deduced that pads are for tents and grounds, neither of which you will worry about while sleeping in a hammock.

LT '79; AT '73-'14 in sections; Donating Member Kerosene's Avatar
    Images

Agree with the above comments: an UQ is the way to go if you're going to swing anytime outside of high summer. I still haven't seen anyone lay out a warm, comfy hammock setup that beats my zPacks setup, but the hammock with under-insulation will definitely be more comfortable than anything on the ground.
    GA←↕→ME: 1973 to 2014

Agree with the 3 above posts. UQ are the way to go if your budget permits.

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world; indeed that is the only thing that ever has."
    - Margaret Mead, Anthropologist

What do you need to stay warm??
    A tent
    A sleeping bag
    A good pad

Hey!! Just pulling your chain!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
++ New Posts ++