WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    I don't know, but with all the rain and traffic the GSMNP has gotten in the last month or so, I hate to imagine what the privy areas look like!
    Where's all the shyterbugs...we need some pictures.

Just a suggestion, if heat helps in the breakdown and decay of the waste why don't the install solar panels on heat the filled bins?

I wonder if they made privies a little bit automated it would force some compliance. Having woodchips on the outside and the only way you can unlock the outhouse door is by pouring handful chips thru a slot. Also it would be neat to have some sort of sensor that would fling the door wide open if you pee in the privy.

I also wonder if they should go back to the "Paid Toilet" days. A Dime to poo is reasonable. The money will go towards upkeep of the privy and since its paid, more people will use the woods and you will have less people using the privy as a garbage can or to pee in.

I wonder if a hybrid of the incenerator toilets could be made. I know they are less desirable because you don't get fertilizer from them, but maybe have a setup on propane bottles during the busy season and run as a regular privy all other times.

I have a novel idea. How about, if and when the urge to dispense with personal waste overcomes someone, they just dig a hole far away from everything and then bury it? I wonder if that would work? Our society will never learn the lesson that piling all things bad in one area is a very bad idea. There is always, I repeat always a tipping point where that method overwhelms the designated spot. That event is followed by eggheads finding a larger area to destroy. I am not just talking about privies.
    In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. - Abraham Lincoln

Can you dig it?
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by BirdBrain View Post
    I have a novel idea. How about, if and when the urge to dispense with personal waste overcomes someone, they just dig a hole far away from everything and then bury it? I wonder if that would work? Our society will never learn the lesson that piling all things bad in one area is a very bad idea. There is always, I repeat always a tipping point where that method overwhelms the designated spot. That event is followed by eggheads finding a larger area to destroy. I am not just talking about privies.

You sir, are the man.

Quote Originally Posted by BirdBrain View Post
    In heavy use areas, like those around shelters, privies are actually the most beneficial. One privy that is reasonably well maintained will reduce the land pollution load from several hundreds of people to that of a just a few. Given the importance of sanitation around high traffic areas even in the back country, its more a necessity of human health than a convenience. High use surges of people who don't may not know how privies work are what can create some issues, which is indicative of what would happen if they had to make their own cat holes, hundreds of them, near camping areas.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5
++ New Posts ++