WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default AP between NYC and Boston

I will be travelling in the states and have some time to spare between April 13th - 16th. I will be in NYC and need to end up in Boston on about the 16th /17th April. Does anyone have advice on getting from NYC to the trail ( by public transport) and then hiking North. Ie: from what towns should I start and finish at, public transport options, that sort of thing. Any advice would be great.
    thanks

Hardly worth the effort. There is a commuter train which has a stop on the AT, but it only runs on weekends and there isn't anything of interest near the stop anyway. If you did get there, the next place you could easily get to public transportation (bus station) would be at Lee, Mass, some 100 miles north.

The only other option would be to take a bus to the Delaware Water Gap and hike north to the AT train stop, but that's 156 miles and again you'd have to be there at just the right time on a weekend.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Well, wait. just a small correction. While the official AT train stop is serviced only on weekends, the stations on either side of it (Pawling and Wingdale) are full service stations and only a couple of miles away on Route 22.
    "It goes to show you never can tell." - Charles Edward Anderson Berry

Journal Entries
    Images

Post I post this info on mass transit every year or so

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/show...t=#post1839605

If anyone is curious, here's an update on Roanoke:
    http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/show...t=#post1902332

And I never did use Peter Pan Bus to Williamstown, or Amtrak to Staunton.

I agree, 3 days to spare is basically 2 days of traveling and one day of hiking. If you still want to do it, take the bus out of Logan airport in Boston to Pinkham's Notch in NH, book a room at the Joe Dodge Lodge. Get up in the AM and hike up Tuckermans Ravine trail to the summit of Mt Washington and hike down via Nelson Crag. The AT runs over Mt Washington. Stay at Joe Dodge lodge that night and take the bus back down to Boston. Cancel if the weather is going to be bad.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by peakbagger View Post
    I agree, 3 days to spare is basically 2 days of traveling and one day of hiking. If you still want to do it, take the bus out of Logan airport in Boston to Pinkham's Notch in NH, book a room at the Joe Dodge Lodge. Get up in the AM and hike up Tuckermans Ravine trail to the summit of Mt Washington and hike down via Nelson Crag. The AT runs over Mt Washington. Stay at Joe Dodge lodge that night and take the bus back down to Boston. Cancel if the weather is going to be bad.
    Peakbagger, I am not sure I would send Benos from South Africa up Mount Washington in April as his introduction to the AT.

Benos, with only three days to spare I would consider just using them to sightsee in Boston or NYC. Two great cities.

If it is only an AT experience you are looking of,r then I would suggest going to Bear Mountain outside of NYC. Really, you will only get in one day of solid hiking. You will spend most of the other two days getting there and back. Bear Mountain and Harriman Park have a number of trails and loops you can take, including some of the AT. I would skip the New England portion of the AT in April unless you really have a hankering for snow, cold and mud.
    Last edited by imscotty; 03-30-2015 at 14:36.

Quote Originally Posted by imscotty View Post
    Peakbagger, I am not sure I would send Benos from South Africa up Mount Washington in April as his introduction to the AT. I would skip the New England portion of the AT in April unless you really have a hankering for snow, cold and mud.
    Yep, it's still full on winter here and it's not likely to change much in the next two weeks. Here's photo I took yesterday, before it started to snow again today:
    SAM_1279.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Weather permitting, you could get in a couple of days in Harriman State Park. Easy access by bus or train from NY. Then catch Amtrak or a bus to Boston.
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

Images

For information about public transportation to hiking opportunities (including the AT) in the NYC area see
    http://www.nynjtc.org/content/you-dont-need-car

++ New Posts ++