WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Thread: Couscous

Default Couscous

We ahve been getting boxes fo Rice Bowl Couscous mix for a dollar a box at an Aldis near us. Today I decided to make some in my Jetboil to see how it would come out. It is so easy to do. Just add the spice pouch in the water, a touch of oil and bring it to a boil. (In a Jetboil that is just at 2 minutes). Remove from heat, stir in Couscous and wati a few minutes.

Today I added a can of sardines with mustard sauce to see how it taste. Ah, this would be wonderful on the trail. Dinner in less than 5 minutes.

If you add the water to cousouse in a freezer bag, then you can start up some water for tea as well. By time the couscous is done, so will your hot tea as well.

Life is good on the Trail.

Graywolf
    "So what if theres a mountain, get over it!!!" - Graywolf, 2010

Thanks for the tips! I always thought of couscous as a great trail food since it cooks up so easy and is inexpensive.

Love me some couscous.
    I like to freezer bag mine with dehydrated fish (salmon, trout or such), sundried tomatoes, dehy. olives, feta (yes it can be dehydrated) and nuts.
    Not really couscous but Ptitim is great also, known as Israeli couscous. Mix with a can of chicken and some tomato leather...yum.

What I like the most about couscous is that it can be rehydrated without heating water if it comes to that. So when I'm on a longer section, or if I feel like my fuel supply is cutting it close, I save couscous for my last dinner on the trail.
    HST/JMT August 2016
    TMB/Alps Sept 2015
    PCT Mile 0-857 - Apr/May 2015
    Foothills Trail Feb 2015
    Colorado Trail Aug 2014
    AT: Rockfish Gap to Boiling Springs 2014
    John Muir Trail Aug/Sept 2013

All great posts!
    Backpacking light, feels so right.

Our local Amish store sells couscous with sapphron and spices mixed in. Take a can/pouch of chicken...cook the couscous about half way, dump in the chicken, leave for a few more minutes, and a great/easy meal!

Glad to hear. I am bringing several favors with me also. Thanks for the report.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Journal Entries

Doing a "field test" on some couscous right now! So easy...1 cup o' water, 1 cup o' couscous....let it sit for 5....throw in some olive oil, salt & salmon...voila! This is great! Dinner now planned for next trip. Done & done! Thx for the thread

If you're cooking in a pot, throw in the olive oil first and the pot may be easier to clean. It helps keep food from sticking to the pot.

++ New Posts ++