WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Recommend an activity bracelet

Howdy folks,

I'm looking for a reasonably priced, low profile activity bracelet that can log my miles, pace, elevation change... Preferably something that links to an i-phone app, and preferably a free app.

I've been using MyFitnessPal on my i-phone(free version) and I note that the GPS malfunctions from time to time. (Also, I don't believe the elevation deltas are correct through this app.) Even worse, I often forget to put the phone on "Do Not Disturb" and my hikes are plagued & polluted by texts, emails, or phone calls from the real world I'm trying to escape from. I'm ready to leave the phone behind.

Thanks for suggestions.

I have used "Fitbit" devices for about 1.5 years now and been fairly happy with the data they provide. Pricing is comparable with other brands that have similar features. Frankly I don't think there are a lot of differences in features unless you want to get the heart rate function (strapless) in the higher end fitbits. Most all of them, if anecdotes are correct, will pair with iPhones or Androids.

I've been trying a Basis Peak this past week, and really want to like it, but don't think it will work for my purposes. This is mainly due to about 3.5 days of battery life per charge. If you will use this for day hikes, that will not be a problem, but I'm looking for something that can do at least a week between charges to handle longer backpacking trips. You didn't specify how you would use it, so this may or may not be a factor for you. On the plus side, it is waterproof, which is a must have for me, but you did not specify if that was a factor for you.

It has the main activity tracking features like the fitbit and the heart rate monitor (also in the higher end fitbits). I've done a couple of workouts on a treadmill with a heart rate monitor built in and they generally tracked together, but a couple of times when I've just changed from a run to a walk the basis went down 20-30 bpm lower than the treadmill and it seemed to me that the treadmill was correct. Bottom line on strapless HR monitors from this and other feedback I've found on the web is that they are still not terribly accurate.

You mentioned logging miles, pace and altitude. This may mean a GPS, which would also likely limit it to a day or so between charging. If you don't have to be too accurate for miles and pace, I find that about 2000 steps is a mile is a good rough conversion for me and the basis peak (and most other activity trackers) will show steps and steps/minute. Can something like this work for you? For altitude, a GPS would also likely be most accurate, although I've seem other trackers without GPS that mention it, but I would not expect it to be too accurate (barometric pressure or z-accelerometer?)

I'm still looking into a few others that may meet my needs, if you can provide a few more details about how you intend to use it, that will narrow the field considerably. Can you recharge every day? if not how often? How often will you expect to sync with phone (or other device)? Is waterproofing important? Is GPS important or would a mileage estimate based on steps be acceptable?

Sorry if I'm taking this beyond what should be covered in the straight forward forum.

I have been a avid Fitbit user for 3+years and got the Fitbit charge last Nov. I love everything about it. Steps, distance, elevations sync directly to my phone. It also has a stop watch for timed trials and can record your sleep. I got mine on sale for $120.00 and haven't looked back. It does everything I want plus a few extras. Highly recommend you check it out and see if it's something that'll fit your needs

Peakbagger Extraordinaire The Solemates's Avatar

was just at a medical conference over the weekend. tens of thousands of published manuscripts. one group did a study on the accuracy of basically every device on the market. the fitbit was number 1. it was 94-98% accurate based on the half a dozen different types of tests they put it through (jog, walk, etc). some were as low as 40% accurate.
    The only thing better than mountains, is mountains where you haven't been.

amongnature.blogspot.com

I use MapMyHike and it seems to work just fine. I'm preparing to do the Allegheny 100 and I've already created the course and added it to my phone. Haven't really compared the elevation readings but distance, calories burned, etc are spot on.
    Pain is a by-product of a good time.

My wife and I recently purchased Jawbone Up 24s. It parallels the pedometer app on my phone closely enough for me that I trust it. I wear the large and a full charge lasts 13 or 14 days.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Maybe a Garmin Vivofit 2 (has backlight and a year battery life). I use a misfit flash. No elevation or heart rate for either, however. The Vivofit will pair with a chest heart rate monitor. Fitbits do count stairs and I believe calculates them into you approximate calorie usage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

++ New Posts ++