Registered Offender

Default The increasing frequency of the PCT in the News

For a long time now I've received a PCT feed whenever the trail makes the online news, and for the past few years the number of times it's been mentioned has grown exponentially, for reasons all too apparent to us. Whether this is a good thing remains to be seen; though it's certainly a good thing for those who had never heard of the trail and have since decided to hike it. The PCTA aims "to preserve, protect and promote the trail," but the latter is obviously incongruous with the former. Most the promotion has nothing to do with the PCTA, but rather with a book and its resultant movie. Before that, a postage stamp and the more endemic, though popular, trail journals.

No doubt, it's a different trail than it was just ten years ago. Or perhaps the same trail but a different experience.

Today's news...

This Guy Lost 50 Pounds Hiking the Pacific Crest Trail — And Took a Selfie Every Day to Prove It

You should be in CA. PCT is on the radio and TV all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Uriah View Post
    The PCTA aims "to preserve, protect and promote the trail," but the latter is obviously incongruous with the former.
    I disagree with you. I see "promoting" as getting the word out and also getting more donations to protect the trail. I also see the PCTA promoting use of the trail in a way that will protect it rather than, "Let's all go out there and love the trail to death!!!".

I've haven't donated to the PCTA in past years but I did this year because I was impressed with their new permit system; and the Trail Runner and education program in Southern CA. http://www.pcta.org/2015/improvement...ronment-27304/

I am a PCTA member and hiking the PCT this year. I feel like "Wild" is definitely a mixed blessing in terms of the PCTA's mission and they had to make some sort of decision regarding how to respond to the movie. They essentially chose to promote it, but with a "responsible" spin in the "Responsibly Wild" campaign. My impression is that they were attempting to generate more interest (and members) from the movie publicity while also trying to steer new hikers in the right direction in terms of preparation. However, I feel like they may have popularized the movie too much (example: Putting Reese on the cover of a recent PCTA magazine issue).

As for the permit system, I feel like something had to be done or the Forest Service would likely have simply stopped allowing PCTA to issue permits entirely leaving hikers to secure permits in the necessary areas during the hike which would have been a huge hassle. However, I am not sure if the 50/day limit is going to work as intended, and there has not been much clarity in terms of more subtle policy issues. For example, the first place on the PCT requiring overnight permits is mile 14. Does that mean that permits are not required prior to that point? And that one can then start a day prior to the permit date since no permits are required prior to mile 14? Can hikers "day hike" from Campo to Lake Morena, and Lake Morena to Mt. Laguna prior to their official permit start since those are both front country areas, not subject to wilderness permits? I have asked these questions but not received a clear response as of yet. (Yes, this might affect my hike so that's my motive for asking).

Overall I feel like they have done a reasonably good job dealing with Wild. Ignoring it wouldn't have been a good solution, and they have tried to turn it into something positive.
    HST/JMT August 2016
    TMB/Alps Sept 2015
    PCT Mile 0-857 - Apr/May 2015
    Foothills Trail Feb 2015
    Colorado Trail Aug 2014
    AT: Rockfish Gap to Boiling Springs 2014
    John Muir Trail Aug/Sept 2013

Quote Originally Posted by Coffee View Post
    Overall I feel like they have done a reasonably good job dealing with Wild. Ignoring it wouldn't have been a good solution, and they have tried to turn it into something positive.
    I agree. Well said.

I think that the permit confusions might be a combo of the first year and it being done by the Federal Gov't./FS. But as you said, something had to be done.

For whatever it is worth... I have had a Desolation Wilderness Ranger ask to see my permit and I was in the wrong place on the wrong day. He was very understanding that my trip hadn't gone exactly as planned... but I DID have a permit. And that is what mattered most to him.

Hopefully, you will have the same experience in So/CA and the permit checker uppers will be cool.
    Last edited by DLP; 03-31-2015 at 13:34.

Quote Originally Posted by Coffee View Post
    I feel like they may have popularized the movie too much (example: Putting Reese on the cover of a recent PCTA magazine issue).
    She's on the cover of the Costco Magazine. I haven't read the article...

Images

PCT has to pay for it's staff etc. They are now promoting the Blue Ray of Wild.
    Everything is in Walking Distance

Registered Offender

Quote Originally Posted by DLP View Post
    She's on the cover of the Costco Magazine. I haven't read the article...
    Talk about promotion! Now we'll have millions of potential additions to the PCT, and all their donation dollars (Never mind that Costco shoppers are all about saving their money). That will certainly help protect the trail.

You can see now that the PCTA's tag-line is a dichotomy of sorts. (Thus, you're use of the frown face icon.)

I foresee a big part of the issue being as much about society's "bucket list" mentality ("I did the PCT!"), in which so many potential trail users won't necessarily fall in love with the trail (or understand and back its need for protection and preservation), but rather their accomplishment. Then, of course, it's on to the next accomplishment.

The trail won't benefit anymore than the national parks and forest service land does with all their road paving.

Just noticed the PCTA's blu ray promotion today on Facebook. That's the type of thing I was referring to earlier as maybe going too far.
    HST/JMT August 2016
    TMB/Alps Sept 2015
    PCT Mile 0-857 - Apr/May 2015
    Foothills Trail Feb 2015
    Colorado Trail Aug 2014
    AT: Rockfish Gap to Boiling Springs 2014
    John Muir Trail Aug/Sept 2013

I think that we may be reaching the Reese/Wild saturation point. Maybe in another month or so... after the blu ray comes out. Then perhaps we will be all be done with Reese playing Cheryl Strayed.

PCTA is doing a good job of promoting responsible trail use by hikers and equestrians.

The PCTA opposes mountain bikes on the PCT. They are also working to limit the number of long distance marathons or trail races on the PCT.
    http://www.pcta.org/2015/trail-runni...ail-pct-28396/

You can find a lot of websites with bike riders who are upset that they are not allowed on the PCT. There are a lot of people who feel that the PCTA isn't doing enough to "promote the trail" and to open it up mountain bikes, ATV, etc, etc, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by DLP View Post
    PCTA is doing a good job of promoting responsible trail use by hikers and equestrians.

The PCTA opposes mountain bikes on the PCT. They are also working to limit the number of long distance marathons or trail races on the PCT.
    http://www.pcta.org/2015/trail-runni...ail-pct-28396/

You can find a lot of websites with bike riders who are upset that they are not allowed on the PCT. There are a lot of people who feel that the PCTA isn't doing enough to "promote the trail" and to open it up mountain bikes, ATV, etc, etc, etc.
    Mountain bikers are likely the next real threat to the PCT. There is fairly determined bunch that is constantly hitting the door for access to the PCT. Though its not likely to happen in wilderness areas, over half the PCT is outside protected lands and may eventually succumb to the mechanicals.

PCT 2013, most of AT 2011, rest of AT 2014

Irrelevant to the discussion, but I'm in there! Miles 518-530, the aqueduct along the Mojave desert floor. The man is a design professional and knew how to send his video down the road to viral-dom. When I met him and heard about the photo project, I kind of assumed it would end up big on the internet one day.

Anyway, carry on.
    "Hahk your own hahk." - Ron Haven

"The world is a book, of which those who do not travel read only a page." - St. Augustine

http://www.scrubhiker.com/

I met a mountain biker on the PCT. Didnt seem too threatening. Got off his bike and yielded.

I saw lots of light mountain bike tracks. Also saw lots of not so light dirtbike tracks.

Most areas of the PCT I have hiked dont seem very appealing to mountain bikers. A few areas in SoCal are appealing and seem to get used often.

++ New Posts ++