WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default What kind of tarp do you all use for a tarp shelter?

????????????????????????????????

8x10 silnylon.

Images
    igne et ferrum est potentas
    "In the beginning, all America was Virginia." -​William Byrd

Terribly vague question, sorry. I am going out this weekend for a canoe/camping multi day trip. Weather is supposed to be pretty rainy so I want to set up a tarp. Will a cheap hardware store type tarp be waterproof enough for a space to hang out under? Thanks!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by MrMiner2 View Post
    Terribly vague question, sorry. I am going out this weekend for a canoe/camping multi day trip. Weather is supposed to be pretty rainy so I want to set up a tarp. Will a cheap hardware store type tarp be waterproof enough for a space to hang out under? Thanks!
    Yep. One of those cheap blue or gray or whatever color tarps will work fine. Pick yourself up a 100' of cheap synthetic line and some long gutter spikes for pegs/stakes as well.
    "That's the thing about possum innards - they's just as good the second day." - Jed Clampett

If you make the move to buying a silnylon tarp, check out http://www.bearpawwd.com/tents_tarps/tarps.html

I have the 6.5'x10' flat tarp, $100. I've only experienced light rain in it, but I found the coverage to be ample. I had it setup as an A-frame.

I'd rather be hiking

Quote Originally Posted by MrMiner2 View Post
    ????????????????????????????????
    I've found that a 6'x9' flat tarp to be large enough for 1 person. Mine is a DIY in silnylon. But, I think I'm going to put together a cuben fiber version in the near future.

Just started to use the SMD Deschutes cuben fiber tarp with the inner net. Tried it out this past Saturday nite on a section hike. So far so good.

Journal Entries

Really enjoying my JRB 11′ x 10′ Tarp...love the coverage. http://www.jacksrbetter.com/shop/jrb-11-x-10-tarp/

Images

I think the best tarps on the market are by Underground Quilts (UGQ) http://www.undergroundquilts.com/shop/default.html
    They specialize in tarps for hammocks but don't let the menu choices fool you. They will make a custom tarp to your specs.
    Their quality is second to none in the cottage industry. They also have a wider choice of color options than anyone else in the business.

Also check their vendor forum at https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...door-Equipment

And in particular check this thread: https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...2015-TARP-LINE

Last edited by Cadenza; 04-14-2015 at 22:27.

Not to hijack the subject but has anyone had experience with a 7x9 tarp for 2 people? Two small for a couple or ok?

Quote Originally Posted by HDLV View Post
    Not to hijack the subject but has anyone had experience with a 7x9 tarp for 2 people? Two small for a couple or ok?
    Sure, as long as it doesn't rain.

Seriously though, while it could be done, to make it storm worthy with sufficient coverage, you would have to pitch it so low that it would be very uncomfortable. Some would argue that that size is at the lower end for a solo tarp.

I have. I pitched low with the opposite being lower. It works if you are really close to your partner (think spoons close or sharing a bag). It is hard to get in and out. You will need to slide into your bag and under the tarp at the same time.

Haha, that sounds a little uncomfortable. Can anyone recommend a good size for two?

Images

For two people I wouldn't go less than 8 X 10'

I have a Warbonnet MamaJamba that I use for a shelter if I am in the tarp or on the ground.

++ New Posts ++