WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5

Benton MacKaye Trail - Section 8 - Part 1: https://youtu.be/WNUyan7MFWY
    Foothills Trail - 14
    Bartram Trail - 15 - Video
    Benton MacKaye Trail - 15 - Video
    AT - 15% complete
    Pinhoti Trail - 16 - Video

Benton MacKaye Trail - Section 8 - Part 2: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hv-sV3Nc2Pk
    Foothills Trail - 14
    AT - 15% complete

Images

any idea when you will get your last video's up
    Conquest: It is not the Mountain we conquer but Ourselves

I will have one up tonight. The last one hopefully before Christmas day.
    Foothills Trail - 14
    AT - 15% complete

Images

thanks.......

I am planning on thru hiking the AT this coming season (2016). A couple weeks ago I emailed my co-conspirator in this project that there was a possible alternative trail through GSNP, i.e. the BMT GSNP portion.

There was two main reasons for mentioning this alternate route through the park. One, and primary, is that my border collie will be coming with me. Since dogs aren't allowed in GSNP I have been looking at how to tackle this challenge. When I looked at the GSNP map it looks like the BMT touch roads at around four locations that could possibly be used for slack packing through the park by dropping off one person, driving around to the road/trail junction, start hiking the same trail segment, exchange the key. and when the first person that was dropped off gets to the vehicle he drives back to the starting point to pick up the person who shuttled the vehicle. It means some relatively long days (I've hiked 55 and 40 mile days before), but at this point on the AT we will be trail hardened and going light, so it might be possible??? This is possibly to complicated or even too complicated to understand what I am envisioning (for an example read page 111 in AWOL on the Appalachian Trail) Of course, the other option is hire a shuttle and kennel while we are in GSNP.

The other reason was, if the weather was poor during this time of the fall (we anticipate hitting this stretch in October, it looks like the BMT is much lower elevation wise than the ridge line followed by the AT. This could possibly mean the weather on the BMT could be less inclement than up on the ridge? What are your thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by OldTrailDog View Post
    I am planning on thru hiking the AT this coming season (2016). A couple weeks ago I emailed my co-conspirator in this project that there was a possible alternative trail through GSNP, i.e. the BMT GSNP portion.

There was two main reasons for mentioning this alternate route through the park. One, and primary, is that my border collie will be coming with me. Since dogs aren't allowed in GSNP I have been looking at how to tackle this challenge. When I looked at the GSNP map it looks like the BMT touch roads at around four locations that could possibly be used for slack packing through the park by dropping off one person, driving around to the road/trail junction, start hiking the same trail segment, exchange the key. and when the first person that was dropped off gets to the vehicle he drives back to the starting point to pick up the person who shuttled the vehicle. It means some relatively long days (I've hiked 55 and 40 mile days before), but at this point on the AT we will be trail hardened and going light, so it might be possible??? This is possibly to complicated or even too complicated to understand what I am envisioning (for an example read page 111 in AWOL on the Appalachian Trail) Of course, the other option is hire a shuttle and kennel while we are in GSNP.

The other reason was, if the weather was poor during this time of the fall (we anticipate hitting this stretch in October, it looks like the BMT is much lower elevation wise than the ridge line followed by the AT. This could possibly mean the weather on the BMT could be less inclement than up on the ridge? What are your thoughts?
    First, if you can do 40 to 55 mile days, I wouldn't worry about your dog. You'd be done with the AT thru the smokies in 2 days. The AT thru the smokies is a little over 70 miles. I would just put her in a kennel for a night.

Second, the BMT thru the smokies has a major road intersection at the start at fontana. About 36 miles on the Lakeshore trail will take you to Noland Creek Trailhead (the road to nowhere). Another road at Smokemont campground off of 441, which is 25 miles from Noland Creek Trailhead. Finally from Smokemont to Big Creek Ranger Station is another 31ish miles.

The Lakeshore trail could be done in a day. We did 24 miles in less than 10 hours in December and finished the last 12 miles by 1:00 PM. I am pretty sure I could day hike the lakeshore trail in a day with a little night hiking, but my longest day was just over 30 miles. So with 40 and 55 mile days, you shouldn't have an issue day hiking that first section or that section. The third section was a little harder given more significant elevation change, but we still managed to knock out almost 20 miles day 1 leaving 11-12 day 2. I could easily see day hiking this section as well.
    Foothills Trail - 14
    AT - 15% complete

BMT - Section 9 - Part 1: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PF2Og_sVDlU

This will be the last section, but there will be a second part.
    Foothills Trail - 14
    AT - 15% complete

Benton MacKaye Trail - Section 9 - Part 2: The last and final section of the BMT: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iqrPdOwJHyo

What an amazing ride. It is very likely the longest long distance trail I will complete in the next 30-40 years.
    Foothills Trail - 14
    AT - 15% complete

Images

You can always hike the Sheltowee Trace Trail in Tn/Ky. It is close to 300 miles long

Quote Originally Posted by Ewker View Post
    You can always hike the Sheltowee Trace Trail in Tn/Ky. It is close to 300 miles long
    Ah I know there are plenty of other trails to hike, but as a weekend warrior only, I cannot. . . or I guess refuse, to drive 6-7 hours Friday night after work. Get to the trail around 1 am. hike all day SAT part of the day Sunday and drive another 6-7 hours home. It simply is too far away from me. That is why the AT for me will end at Damascus. I just cant and wont make that drive as a weekend warrior.

The more local trail I am considering is the Pinhoti Trail. It is 335 miles long give or take, but it has 60-70 miles of road walks. I am not sure I am too into doing that much road walking. I will do the Alabama section for sure as it has 140ish miles of nearly continuous trails with very little to no road walking.

I don't have a problem redoing trails i've done before.
    Foothills Trail - 14
    AT - 15% complete

"Best of the Benton MacKaye Trail" Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1VnWORVMBGk
    Foothills Trail - 14
    AT - 15% complete

Images

I watched your video earlier today. Thanks for putting a best of BMT video out

Quote Originally Posted by Ewker View Post
    I watched your video earlier today. Thanks for putting a best of BMT video out
    Thanks for watching. It was such an amazing trail.

I am on to my next adventure: The Pinhoti Trail! I hope to start the trail soon!
    Foothills Trail - 14
    AT - 15% complete

Images

Good luck to you on the PT

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5
++ New Posts ++