WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Just got a Big Agnes Fly Creek UL1.

Impluse buy! Just got a Big Agnes Fly Creek UL1. Got a great deal on it new. Any concerns should I have about it?

too late after you buy it, but I know what you mean a good deal hard to pass up. lol

Images

Where did you get it? Please share....

PS: I love my UL2, used it about 100 nights so far, it is getting a bit "worn out", but still useable. I'd pick up a UL1 if price was right

Nothing besides the obvious (seam-sealing ect...), A lot of people carried those when I Thru hiked in 2013. Was it the platinum or the original. As far as I know its one of the lightest truly free standing tents on the market.

I can't think of any concerns. Some people find it claustrophobic. I don't.

I like the fabric better than silnylon, as it doesn't stretch when wet.

I modified it to have it stand up with a hiking pole or tied to a tree... but I have a history of throwing the poles away from tents.

With no poles, it is 1 lb, 6 and 1/8 oz. in 2 stuff sacks. (not including the stakes).
    Last edited by DLP; 04-02-2015 at 14:21.

Images

I did an impulse buy as well. I use a Hexamid Solo Plus normally, but wanted a double wall for some situations. I used my 20% off coupon and REI dividend to get it for $155. Supposed to be delivered today according to UPS.

Quote Originally Posted by colorado_rob View Post
    Where did you get it? Please share....

PS: I love my UL2, used it about 100 nights so far, it is getting a bit "worn out", but still useable. I'd pick up a UL1 if price was right
    I got it from ebay. Only one for sale.

Quote Originally Posted by Nimbles View Post
    Nothing besides the obvious (seam-sealing ect...), A lot of people carried those when I Thru hiked in 2013. Was it the platinum or the original. As far as I know its one of the lightest truly free standing tents on the market.
    It is a original model. Very light! I got a footprint for it too. Now I have to save up for my ULA Catalyst!!

I replaced the lines with the stuff zpack sells and used little clamcleats. Got some titanium shepherd hook stakes. Probably saved an ounce.

Quote Originally Posted by swjohnsey View Post
    I replaced the lines with the stuff zpack sells and used little clamcleats. Got some titanium shepherd hook stakes. Probably saved an ounce.
    What size z-line did you buy?

Ordered some line from Zpacks.

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Honestly I'm not a huge fan of this tent. I borrowed one from a friend for a few trips and was not impressed.

The two main concerns I had about it were that the advertised size of the interior floor space was rather exaggerated and the interior height was not enough for me to sit up in or even enough to comfortably change clothes in. I also was not a fan of the tent door being front entry, but that wasn't a deal breaker. When you get the the tent, make sure to set it up and try it out to see if the dimensions work for you.

I hope you like the tent more than I did, but if not, both Lightheartgear and Tarptent make roomier tents for about the same weight.
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

Personally love mine, but I am only 5'8" so still big enough for me, and I just have to lay my pack sideways inside. I previously had a Seedhouse SL2, so I appreciate the lighter weight and it is easier to setup/fold up.
    The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
    Richard Ewell, CSA General

Journal Entries
    Images

I had the Big Agnes Fly Creek UL 2 (for me and my dog). I'm not a big fan either. The tent I got had a small hole in it, so I returned it. I found the walls sloping in made the tent feel very closed in. I exchanged for the REI Dash 2 Tent http://www.rei.com/product/862419/rei-dash-2-tent.

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

I once borrowed a Fly Creek UL1 from a friend. I can pretty much ditto what the Elf said. I'll add that camping in GSMNP, I tend to have condensation issues with BA tents in general. Because of the small size of the tent while using size large sleeping pad and bag, I woke to a soggy foot box of on my sleeping bag.
    Last edited by HooKooDooKu; 04-09-2015 at 08:44. Reason: Fix what "auto correct" broke

Images

I guess we all just sleep differently, or some simply avoid "user error", but in the roughly 100 nights I've slept in my BA fly creek, mostly in the humid east, I've never had a significant condensation problem, and certainly never got a "soggy footbox" (and I'm 6' 1" tall). Any tent needs to be ventilated to avoid this, BA tents are no different. Enjoy your excellent purchase!

I found it hard to get into and out of when things turned muddy, especially when I had to get up in the middle of the night to go pee.

Some condensation issues, but I think it was more of the mist in the air getting up under the fly and then collecting on the netting. Ultimately switched to a side entry with a little more headroom and was much happier.

Well, set it up in the living room the other day. It is small! I am 6'1" and it's tight. The one problem I think will be getting in/out if its raining. I could always sell it and buy a Tarptent!

Well selling the fly creek. No offers yet so I might go and sell it on eBay.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++