WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

This is a shame since Palmerton is such a great stop. The people there that I talked to really liked the hikers and business were trying to attract them. This will certainly dampen their efforts. When I stayed there the place was full with people sleeping on the floor or in hammocks. People need to wise up or we will see more of this in the future.
    More walking, less talking.

Quote Originally Posted by soilman View Post
    This is a shame since Palmerton is such a great stop. The people there that I talked to really liked the hikers and business were trying to attract them. This will certainly dampen their efforts. When I stayed there the place was full with people sleeping on the floor or in hammocks. People need to wise up or we will see more of this in the future.
    Seems the businesses can still attract people by providing what the town no longer wants to offer.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BillyGr View Post
    Seems the businesses can still attract people by providing what the town no longer wants to offer.
    Perhaps but I doubt it. there are 3 towns to chose from here, one of the best things is the Jailhouse, because of reputation and it being free, was the attracting feature to this town. This cause a good deal of community and bringing together of the hikers.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Starchild View Post
    Perhaps but I doubt it. there are 3 towns to chose from here, one of the best things is the Jailhouse, because of reputation and it being free, was the attracting feature to this town. This cause a good deal of community and bringing together of the hikers.
    Maybe "free" was the thing that attracted the bad behavior and the undesireables. Just a hunch.
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep."

Each year there are some bad apples that cause trouble up and down the trail. I'm talking about hikers who don't believe the law applies to them. What most hikers don't see is the people that live in trail towns have to deal with this crap year after year. If the community gives hikers a place to spend the night, the community is on the hook for any damage, clean up, or misconduct cause by hikers. It sad when a place that has been a part of the hiking community for so long, closes its doors forever.

Wolf

Quote Originally Posted by JumpMaster Blaster View Post
    Maybe "free" was the thing that attracted the bad behavior and the undesireables. Just a hunch.
    My thoughts exactly! Get rid of all the free food, odging, shuttles, shelters, and privies, and then see who shows up.

Quote Originally Posted by Donde View Post
    My thoughts exactly! Get rid of all the free food, odging, shuttles, shelters, and privies, and then see who shows up.
    This dovetails with the "hiker feed" issue. Well intentioned perhaps, but the unintended consequences are felt down the trail.

GA-ME 2011
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Donde View Post
    Says someone using a fee website
    "Chainsaw" GA-ME 2011

Quote Originally Posted by Don H View Post
    Says someone using a fee website
    That is relevant how?? A website and the AT are very different things.

But nothing stops one of the business owners from offering free place to sleep in their basement to replace the town's basement. And if one did, they'd likely get more business, offsetting any cost for the sleeping area.

Quote Originally Posted by BillyGr View Post
    But nothing stops one of the business owners from offering free place to sleep in their basement to replace the town's basement. And if one did, they'd likely get more business, offsetting any cost for the sleeping area.
    Better to start a hostel and charge at least some fee to filter out the real troublemakers. I think that $25-30 would repel almost all the problem hikers and maybe make it worthwhile to the business, maybe...
    HST/JMT August 2016
    TMB/Alps Sept 2015
    PCT Mile 0-857 - Apr/May 2015
    Foothills Trail Feb 2015
    Colorado Trail Aug 2014
    AT: Rockfish Gap to Boiling Springs 2014
    John Muir Trail Aug/Sept 2013

hikers need babysitters. it's why hostels without a caretaker and with an honor system most times fail

Images

Mature adults do not need babysitters. Unfortunately not all hikers are mature adults!

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    hikers need babysitters. it's why hostels without a caretaker and with an honor system most times fail
    I think you really hit upon something here. Many of the hostels do tend to take hikers (of all ages) as their children (some are empty nesters), and the hikers are in the position of children when they arrive. I remember walking into one where the first thing is I was given a set of clothes and given a place to remove all of mine and my hiking laundry and place it in a basket (to be washed and returned)- this is what you would do for a child.

The Jailhouse hostel may have been too much the other way, no one to watch over the children.

Give stuff away for free and the riff raff will take advantage.
    Gotta charge and have some kind of overseer.
    I'm surprised the free stay 2 days south of here is still open after all these years (Port Clinton pavillion, NOT Eckville shelter which was held up with AK-47 a few months ago)
    Of course Eckville is owned by the govt and has a caretaker, hence it's long term existence.
    Don't let your fears stand in the way of your dreams

Images

I think you really hit upon something here. Many of the hostels do tend to take hikers (of all ages) as their children (some are empty nesters), and the hikers are in the position of children when they arrive. I remember walking into one where the first thing is I was given a set of clothes and given a place to remove all of mine and my hiking laundry and place it in a basket (to be washed and returned)- this is what you would do for a child.
    It is also a good thing to do if you want to keep most of the hiker grime, ticks, and mud off of the hostel's furniture and carpet. If I ran a hostel, the rule would be, boots off, shower, clean clothes, then sit down inside, eat and relax. Self preservation.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    Lone Wolf nailed this one. Hostels with full time caretakers, always on hand when guests are in the buiilding will NOT have the problems that shut down those with little or no management.
    Order your copy of the Appalachian Trail Passport at www.ATPassport.com

Green Mountain House Hostel
    Manchester Center, VT

http://www.greenmountainhouse.net

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff View Post
    Lone Wolf nailed this one. Hostels with full time caretakers, always on hand when guests are in the buiilding will NOT have the problems that shut down those with little or no management.
    when crazy larry and i were helping with The Place it was an almost daily thing to kick hikers out for drinking alcohol, smokin' dope, sneaking in dogs, etc. especially late at night when i would make surprise visits. i called the cops most times. most didn't donate to the honor box either. the caretaker would tell us this when he retreived cash from the box

Journal Entries
    Images

They could do what Glasgow, Va. did & what other small towns could do, build a shelter in town? Glasgow keeps it very clean & offers hot propane showers & an abundance of split firewood.
    Take Time to Watch the Trees Dance with The Wind........Then Join In........

Quote Originally Posted by wornoutboots View Post
    They could do what Glasgow, Va. did & what other small towns could do, build a shelter in town? Glasgow keeps it very clean & offers hot propane showers & an abundance of split firewood.
    Why would they do that? From reading this thread, it would seem that hiker traffic is a mixed blessing at best. It isn't as if hikers drop a boatload of cash in trail towns (compare the funds expended by a hiker on a stay in a trail town with the cost of a day in Orlando at Disney World). Don't kid yourself. Places that accommodate hikers (shout out to Unionville, NY from personal experience) do so out of a spirit of generosity. There are easier and more plentiful tourist dollars to be had for many towns.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++