WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

I accidentally hit post before I was done....

The TP I can definitely drop to one roll, the multi tool can go. I carry a good quality fixed blade knife. The fire stone is one of those flint stones you can scratch the knife on to start a fire. The sandals can go, I think that's at least lb there. My Snowpeak cook and save pot is def not heavy, a little big but it's very light (it's pretty much titanium foil) and I need the size for my meals. As for the fork and spoon set, I can ditch the fork and just carry the spoon but that's not going to save me much, they're titanium and between the two I can't hardly feel them in my hand.

I think my starting weight is also a little heavier because of my pack. The Arc Teryx Khyber 50 weighs almost four lbs (3.96) empty. It's one of their military packs and while extremely durable, it's not their lightest. The comparable civilian pack weighs over a lb less.

My food is also heavy but I need that. I could probably save about two or three lbs by eating less delicious food but I think I'll take the weight there.

I didn't list a shelter because I hike with my GF most of the time and she carries our tent.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Cornwallis View Post
    One of the problems with the extra fuel I carry is the Zatarians rice dishes I cook for dinner require me to simmer them for 20-25 min, the Annies deluxe mac and cheese requires a ten min boil and my oatmeal also requires a quick boil in the AM, so I'm pretty heavy on the stove use and that concerns me. Do you think that kind of use at three meals a day I would be ok on 250 gram can for 4 days?

The TP I can drop to

You don't need to simmer for 25 minutes. Make yourself a reflectix cozy for your cook pot or freezer ziplocks. Bring water to a boil add your meal and wait.

IMG_0290.JPG untitled3.jpg

Ziplock method makes for easier clean up.

I accidentally hit post before I was done....

The TP I can definitely drop to one roll, the multi tool can go. I carry a good quality fixed blade knife. The fire stone is one of those flint stones you can scratch the knife on to start a fire. The sandals can go, I think that's at least lb there. My Snowpeak cook and save pot is def not heavy, a little big but it's very light (it's pretty much titanium foil) and I need the size for my meals. As for the fork and spoon set, I can ditch the fork and just carry the spoon but that's not going to save me much, they're titanium and between the two I can't hardly feel them in my hand.

An entire roll of TP is a lot even for two people. A bic lighter and matches are fine. Fork is unnecessary as is the fire rock. A few ounces here or there is what eventually add up to become pounds.

Definitely practice making Mac and Cheese or anything else that requires "boiling" at home to get both the time and the amount of water right. As octo says, you only need to boil the water (+/- 2 min) and just simmer your meal in the cozy until it's done. I only carry one full fuel canister (don't let those crazy alcohol stove guys talk you into the dark side) when I'm on the trail (though once in a while I'll carry two half full ones).

it depends on what time of year it is, if it's winter my pack weighs around 30lbs maybe a little over but if it's warm weather my pack weighs around 20lbs to 23lbs, 30lbs is my limit so i try to keep it under 30lbs.

30lbs is the average of pack weight some a little under, some alot over, but you and everybody else will learn to drop weight while on the trail.

remember the lighter your pack the more enjoyable it's gonna be.

This crazy alcohol stove guy just brings his water to a boil, pours boiling water into mac-n-cheeze in freezer bag, and puts bag into cozy. Don't let no crazy canister guy talk you into boiling water for 2 minutes.
    In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. - Abraham Lincoln

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by 4eyedbuzzard View Post
    Old thru-hiking rule of thumb: Make two piles. One pile of all the things you want (not necessarily need) to bring, and one pile of all your money. Take half of the first, and twice the second.
    So simple and yet so true !

On a section hike of the Georgia section last month, I experimented with what I would like to take on the AT if I did a thru hike and I got my pack weight down to 19.5 pounds with water, fuel, and food for 7 days. I just switched to a ultralight cook-set and prioritized the big three and with that it was easy enough to get down to that weight.

KK

Let me know what yall think here...

Essentials:
    -Pack: Arc Teryx Khyber 50
    -Bag: Marmot Hydrogen 30 Long
    -Pad: Thermarest
    -Thermarest large camp pillow
    -Stove: Snow Peak Litemax Titanium.
    -Cookware: Snowpeak Titanium Cook and Save, Snowpeak Titanium fork and knife set.
    -First Aid Kit: Medical tape, Coban wrap, 4x4's, 3x3's, 5 band aids each (small and large). Two small vials of super glue, emergency blanket. Ibuprofen, chap stick, Mole Skin.

Other stuff:

- 2 extra 250 gram fuel canisters
    - Leatherman multi tool
    - Mini Fire Starter logs.
    -Fire stone
    -Spare batteries for flashlight
    - Clothes: 2 extra socks, 1 extra underwear, 1 extra shirt. Thermal underwear, hardshell, soft shell (depending on season)
    -Toiletries: small toothbrush, toothpaste, travel size soap, nail clippers, two rolls toilet paper.
    -Small plastic shovel
    -Five days food, 2 liters water.

Places I'm thinking I can cut weight are...

-1 spare fuel canister instead of 2
    -Sandals (for when we set up camp for the night)
    - ditch the Leatherman, I've never actually used it and I'm not sure what I would even use it for.
    -Lose the fire stone, I carry two lighters.

I could probably shave some weight off in food for sure by carrying lighter food but for me good food on the trail is worth it's weight. I eat oatmeal and peanut butter in the morning and usually Annies Delux Mac and cheese for lunch with some kind of meat mixed in (either tuna or pepperoni) with dinner being a Zatarians rice dish with pepperoni.

You're missing:

Tent
    Pack cover or liner (or both)
    Stuff sacks
    Plastic trashbag to keep you down sleeping bag dry
    Water bottles
    Water purification
    Pot cozy or large insulated coffee mug.
    OTC meds (like Imodium and Benedril)
    Ziplocks for food and trash
    Hand sanitizer
    Bear bagging kit
    Compass and maps
    Bug spray
    Head net
    Something dry to sit on
    Flashlight or headlamp
    Phone and charger?

You could swap a few things out. You don't need that much fuel or TP and I can't imagine starting a fire with a flint, but I'd be more worried about hiking without a shelter than cutting down on TP to save an ounce. Regardless, you'll still be close to 40 lbs when you're done.

Anyone who tells you they're prepared for 5 days on the trail with a 10 lb pack doesn't own scale. Do the math: you need 2 quarts of water just to get you to then next water source, plus 2 lbs of food per day to fuel your 6,000 calorie days. That's 14 pounds right there, before you even add a pack to put them in.

Take what you need to be safe and comfortable.

There have been several suggestion about TP. I am surprised more people don't use this option.

http://video.drugstore.com/v/1830485...drugstore-com/

There are several advantages. The shape makes it easier to carry. The package protects the tissues. 3-ply is great. Premeasured quantities. It is easy to calculate amount needed. Yes, I count squares, but have a safety factor and always have some left over at resupply points.
    In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. - Abraham Lincoln

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Harrison Bergeron View Post
    You're missing:

Tent
    Pack cover or liner (or both)
    Stuff sacks
    Plastic trashbag to keep you down sleeping bag dry
    Water bottles
    Water purification
    Pot cozy or large insulated coffee mug.
    OTC meds (like Imodium and Benedril)
    Ziplocks for food and trash
    Hand sanitizer
    Bear bagging kit
    Compass and maps
    Bug spray
    Head net
    Something dry to sit on
    Flashlight or headlamp
    Phone and charger?

You could swap a few things out. You don't need that much fuel or TP and I can't imagine starting a fire with a flint, but I'd be more worried about hiking without a shelter than cutting down on TP to save an ounce. Regardless, you'll still be close to 40 lbs when you're done.

Anyone who tells you they're prepared for 5 days on the trail with a 10 lb pack doesn't own scale. Do the math: you need 2 quarts of water just to get you to then next water source, plus 2 lbs of food per day to fuel your 6,000 calorie days. That's 14 pounds right there, before you even add a pack to put them in.

Take what you need to be safe and comfortable.
    Most of those things are optional, depending on your style (but my style includes some of them).

Not sure why some folks don't get the concept of a "base weight" for a pack, basically the total pack weight minus food, water and other consumables; it really is a simple concept, yet the concept itself is constantly argued on WB, which is fine. Mine (my base weight) is right about at 10 pounds (probably about 21 pounds total for a 5-day stretch, 1.7 pounds of food a day and a couple pounds of water), and yes, I own a very accurate scale. I burn right at about 3500 calories a day (verified after many decades of backpacking), nowhere near 6000; I would say only very heavy people come anywhere near that figure.

My opinion on TP is to bring 1 wet wipe per day and thats it. I have gone the past 3 years of wilderness travel without bring one square of toliet paper. 1 wet wipe and some leaves, sticks, or rocks. Sounds rough, but it is not as bad as it seems. Snowballs are the best TP including normal TP as well. But that is just my opinion.
    "In my mind there are two categories, ultra-light and ultra-heavy"

Clueless Weekender
    Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BirdBrain View Post
    There have been several suggestion about TP. I am surprised more people don't use this option.

http://video.drugstore.com/v/1830485...drugstore-com/

There are several advantages. The shape makes it easier to carry. The package protects the tissues. 3-ply is great. Premeasured quantities. It is easy to calculate amount needed. Yes, I count squares, but have a safety factor and always have some left over at resupply points.
    If you've ever had one of those folded packs explode in a high wind, you'll go back to a roll.

I bring part of a roll, with the core removed so that I can pull sheets from the center. I take a roll from home that's been used to the point where it will fit snugly into a newspaper bag..
    I always know where I am. I'm right here.

Clueless Weekender
    Journal Entries

-Lose the fire stone, I carry two lighters.
    I carry a lighter in my repair kit in case I mislay my tinderbox (which hasn't happened yet). The tinderbox has my fire steel and some Vaseline-soaked cotton. (The box itself is an Altoids tin.)

I'd sooner lose the second lighter and keep the fire steel. I know that with my tinderbox and fire steel I can have a fire going in minutes, even if I've just fallen in a river. I put that scenario to the test in October. I did indeed fall in near-freezing whitewater, about nine miles into a 40-mile roadless section, and needed a fire when I got out. The firesteel and tinder worked as advertised.

Quote Originally Posted by Another Kevin View Post
    If you've ever had one of those folded packs explode in a high wind, you'll go back to a roll.

I bring part of a roll, with the core removed so that I can pull sheets from the center. I take a roll from home that's been used to the point where it will fit snugly into a newspaper bag..
    You are scaring me AK. It is normally a bit sheltered where I do my business. I guess I am a bit more shy than you. That package is quite secure. I suppose if I was on top of Madison I might have some worries.

Clueless Weekender
    Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BirdBrain View Post
    You are scaring me AK. It is normally a bit sheltered where I do my business. I guess I am a bit more shy than you. That package is quite secure. I suppose if I was on top of Madison I might have some worries.
    Oh, I'm quite shy indeed, and seek shelter, the same as you.

I treat my water, wash my hands scrupulously, and still get a tender tummy at times. Sometimes I account myself fortunate when Nature allows me enough time to undo my pack waistbelt and my britches. If that happens, I have to take the weather as it comes. (In that event, of course I dig a hole to deal with the situation after the fact.)

Perhaps those little folded packs are better made than they were in the 1970's, which is when I gave up on them.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
++ New Posts ++