Question Are there any good information resources available for international hikers?

Hey everyone.

I'm currently trying to research the PCT but I've been coming up completely dry in regards to specific information for internationals like myself. I'm from Canada, which at least means that I'm not intercontinental, but I'm still struggling to get an idea of what this might cost. I won't be ready to do the trail financially or equipment-wise for at least a couple of years and it's proving tough to get an idea of cost. I read somewhere that most people stateside spend around $4,000 - $6,000 hiking the trail. I'm also trying to find out about resupply, because sending myself a bunch of packages from Canada sounds horrifically expensive with international shipping, so it seems like the only way that I might be able to resupply is just by going town to town and possibly sending myself stuff from within the states from resupply points that boast good groceries to the points that don't have good food. I realize that just getting to Campo is going to be pretty expensive, but luckily since I plan to thru hike there will be no problem getting home, since I live in British Columbia, only a few hours from Manning Provincial Park itself (providing my thru hike is successful anyway...) I'm also trying to figure out whether or not I will need a visa because I'll be technically staying in the US for a pretty long time! (I'm estimating five months because I'm an experienced hiker/backpacker with a pretty fast average speed however since I haven't done this before I don't think four months is really possible.) I have my passport already, so that part's no problem at least.

Any other internationals out there with experience with the logistics of hiking the PCT to share?

And also... although it might constitute a dumb question, is there any danger from canister stoves exploding in the desert heat? It seems quite a few people use them in the Mohave but I'm on the careful side and I want to be confident that my fuel is safe. I do realize that canisters can be hard to get but it also seems like lots of people find them okay and that one canister will last a pretty long time just boiling a couple of cups of water everyday!

PCT 2013, most of AT 2011, rest of AT 2014

I don't know the visa situation for Canadians. But your other questions:

Resupply. You can go the entire trail resupplying food from grocery stores that you visit on the trail. In some places, you would send yourself a drop to a point up ahead that doesn't have an adequate store (Kennedy Meadows, much of Oregon and Washington), but you would not have to purchase a crumb of food in Canada beforehand to send to yourself.

A flight from BC to San Diego -- followed by help from trail angels -- wouldn't be "horrifically expensive." It'd be no more than what the average person coming from elsewhere in the U.S. or the world has to spend on getting to the start of the trail. If you wanted to start your adventure early you could hitchhike ...

I've never heard of canister stove exploding in the desert. I've heard of alcohol stoves tipping over and starting fires in the desert, so canister stoves seem pretty safe by comparison. If I used a stove at all, I would use a JetBoil (canister stove). They do last a really long time for thru-hikers because of what you mentioned, only boiling water for one, maybe two meals a day.
    "Hahk your own hahk." - Ron Haven

"The world is a book, of which those who do not travel read only a page." - St. Augustine

http://www.scrubhiker.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Blacky View Post
    I'm also trying to figure out whether or not I will need a visa because I'll be technically staying in the US for a pretty long time!
    Assuming you have a clean criminal record, Canadians can stay for up to 180 days per calendar year. You just need your passport. You'll still need a Canadian Entry Permit to get back into Canada. Once back in Canada, you'll have to get it cleared at a port of entry like the rest of us!

Resupply as you go and mail to yourself from the trail where needed. It's by far the most flexible method whether you live here or not.

If you're up to taking a Greyhound Bus it will probably cost you around $250 to get to San Diego, near Campo.

Check out the PCT FAQ. It will answer your specific questions.

-postholer

International hiker here( Aust), I am about to start my PCT hike (16 Apr) and it is not hard , I am planning on the hybrid resupply plan, ie buy as I go and few boxes sent from along the trail. I hiked the AT last year and bought all the way. Dont forget your Entry into Canada via PCT permit, travel insurance,travel card (loaded with USD), phone. I purchase a sim card when I get to the US. I walked with a Canadian on the AT, he just used his phone when he was able to use WiFi.
    The worst thing is losing so much cash with the exchange rate. If you are planning a few years in the future you can keep an eye on the exchange rate and buy your USD at the appropriate time. I am bringing $9k Usd that cost me over $12 Aud. If I had bought about 18 months ago I could have saved myself about $3k.

Taz

++ New Posts ++