WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Church

Default Church

I'd like to go to church on Sunday throughout my thru-hike, can anyone provide with some assistance with regards to how I might be able to make that happen? I got the AWOL Guide book but haven't had a chance to see if church information was listed in there. Any thoughts?
    Planning to Thru Hike the AT on 4/15/15. I apologize ahead of time for my overbearing amount of questions :)

Images

if you are in town on Sunday do an internet search.
    I'm so confused, I'm not sure if I lost my horse or found a rope.

Images

Inquire at the local grocer during resupply . Do an internet search in advance .
    Getting lost is a way to find yourself.

Images

The AT goes through or near a lot of small towns. Pretty much all have churches, but obviously not all denominations are going to be represented, especially in different regions. Even so, scheduling your hiking around actually being in one of those towns on every Sunday will probably be difficult. For example, you wind up in a town on a Thursday and the next town is four trail days away. Going to church EVERY Sunday while thru-hiking would require a lot of advance planning and support by folks willing to pick you up and shuttle you from road crossings. Try a google search on churches for all the various trail towns, but keep in mind that your schedule is going to be very fluid and will constantly be changing as well. Best of luck on your hike.
    "That's the thing about possum innards - they's just as good the second day." - Jed Clampett

If you have good cellular service and a data plan, you can certainly stream services. An AM/FM radio can likely pick services up too.

For much of the trail, it isn't that difficult to get to a town that will have church services - sometimes Sunday a.m., sometimes Sunday evening. sometimes Saturday evening. If you want specific denominations it can be a bit more difficult, but if you're open to new experiences, going to church along the AT can be really interesting. I went to church frequently - Catholic, Episcopal, Methodist, Presbyterian, Baptist, Pentacostal . . . Some services I liked, some were rather disturbing, but I thought it worthwhile to experience how other people worship.

I met a woman who was Catholic who went to Mass at least once a week. She didn't mind staying over or hitching back to make sure she got to a Saturday or Sunday service. There are a few exceptions - the Smokies and Maine can be more difficult - but even there, you just need to think ahead.

Images

Sounds like a fun thing to do by just finding a church when you get to town. No particular plan at all.

Images

An entire book was written by a thru-hiker doing just that. Bill Irwin wrote the introduction. If I can find the author and title, I'll add an edit.
    [I]ye shall not pollute the land wherein ye are: ... Defile not therefore the land which ye shall inhabit....[/I]. Numbers 35

[url]www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker[/url]

Just about every town has a church. Many of the churches along the way will feed you, to boot.

I'm not Catholic but I would love to attend a service at St. Peter's Roman Catholic Church in Harpers Ferry. It's a beautiful building and has some rich history.

Quote Originally Posted by Rain Man View Post
    An entire book was written by a thru-hiker doing just that. Bill Irwin wrote the introduction. If I can find the author and title, I'll add an edit.
    Sojourn in the Wilderness: A Seven Month Journey on the Appalachian Trail by Kenneth Wadness?
    Backpacking light, feels so right.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by couscous View Post
    Sojourn in the Wilderness: A Seven Month Journey on the Appalachian Trail by Kenneth Wadness?
    Yes, thank you. That is the book I am thinking of. It's what I call a "coffee table book," i.e., big with lots of photos.
    Last edited by Rain Man; 04-08-2015 at 08:29.
    [I]ye shall not pollute the land wherein ye are: ... Defile not therefore the land which ye shall inhabit....[/I]. Numbers 35

[url]www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker[/url]

Registered User Tennessee Viking's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

I would make sure you shower up before attending a service while on trail. Best time would be to attend while in town especially Damascus or at a hostel.

From what I remember, there are a small handful of churches within easy walking distance of the trail on the TN section. But mostly they are going to be a few miles from trailheads. There is Buck Mtn Baptist Church right next to the trail north of 19E. Bob Peoples at Kincora Hostel has invited hikers to Catholic mass in Elizabethton. Around the corner from Uncle Johnny's in Erwin.

There are a few churches in the south that still hold outside services at former church sites or cemeteries in the mountains.
    ''Tennessee Viking'
    Mountains to Sea Trail Hiker & Maintainer
    Former TEHCC (AT) Maintainer

FedEx who thruhiked in 2007 attended church services almost every single weekend of his hike. Being Catholic he mostly attended Sat evening or Sunday mass but if no Catholic Church available in a particular town, he attended a service at a Christian church. You can check out his trail journal at TrailJournals.com
    Trillium

To provide a different look at this, given the environment you'll be in, can you bring along some readings that can be used when you come across scenic areas or quiet places? I have always considered the forests a church of sorts, and this may provide the ability to feed the soul without either adding to miles or creating "hurry ups" to reach a specific town by a specific day/time.

Matthew 18:20 For where two or three are gathered in my name, there am I among them.” Find a few other hikers and have a on the trail Church if you cant find a building.. I think a lot of hikers talks to God sometimes while on the trail..

Clueless Weekender
    Journal Entries

There's nothing that brings forth the trail magic like asking someone in town where they worship, and do they welcome travelers to service? People jump all over themselves to shuttle you, give you a place to get cleaned up, and otherwise squire you about.

Of course, it works better if you actually want to worship, and doubly better if you believe in paying it forward. What goes around comes around, and as it goes it grows.
    I always know where I am. I'm right here.

Clueless Weekender
    Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by AT Traveler View Post
    To provide a different look at this, given the environment you'll be in, can you bring along some readings that can be used when you come across scenic areas or quiet places? I have always considered the forests a church of sorts, and this may provide the ability to feed the soul without either adding to miles or creating "hurry ups" to reach a specific town by a specific day/time.
    I have a Bible on my smartphone. They're readily available for free.
    I always know where I am. I'm right here.

You'll be outside backpacking the Appalachian Trail. Meditate under a tree and you'll be in Church.

I go to church regularly while off the trail. Romans 1:20 suffices for me on the trail. If you go to church while hiking, take 2 baths before you do. When my wife met me in Norwich last year, her 1st words were "you stink". I bath every day on the trail. I wash my clothes most days. It is not enough. It was not enough. When we stopped to fill the truck with gas, she demanded I bath right there at the gas pumps while she filled the truck. She had brought a cooler filled with hot (now cool) water, soap, wash cloth, and a towel. She had been through this before. She was ready this time. I obeyed... right there. Mind you, my wife loves me more than any other person on earth. She accepts me as I am more than any other person on earth. My stench was unreasonable even to her. Gratuitous story to drive home a point. Most that go to church don't stink like a thru. Yes, God accepts us as we are. Yes, they should too. Yes, you should do every thing you can not to offend those that won't understand. Church is not a hostel.
    In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. - Abraham Lincoln

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++