WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Grayson Highlands

I'm planning on finishing the Va. section of the AT with a short section hike headed south from Dickey Gap the first weekend in May. I noticed in AWOL's guide that there is a fence at the north and south ends of the park. Are the horses just in the Grayson Highlands boundary or do they roam the whole area?Thanks, Iceman

Images

There are a couple of herds of horses (and cows!) Some in the national forest and some in the state park. You can see horses anywhere from Scales (big corral the AT goes through as you come south from VA 603) to Elk Garden.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

After you cross Road 603 (Fox Creek) heading south on the AT you reach a fence past Old Orchard shelter up by the Pine Mt trail jct. Here the ponies and horseback riders and long horn cattle begin. They stay with you down to Scales and up and over Stone Mt and down to Wise shelter and up onto Wilburn Ridge into Rhododendron Gap and south to Thomas Knob shelter and beyond the shelter to perhaps Elk Garden as Bigcranky says.

Below is on the Pine Mt trail near the Lewis Fork trail jct and the water spring. The whole Mt Rogers backcountry is a mammal Effluvia catch basin what with pony and horse and cattle and human turds so bring your water filter.

Journal Entries
    Images

That's an interesting question. I never really thought about it & I've hiked through there many times. There are stiles or walk through gates at the S end at Elk Gardens & then N of the Scales before you head down towards Old Orchard (& S of the Scales towards Wise) but I wouldn't think that WHOLE area is fenced in? Is it???
    Take Time to Watch the Trees Dance with The Wind........Then Join In........

Images

Quote Originally Posted by wornoutboots View Post
    That's an interesting question. I never really thought about it & I've hiked through there many times. There are stiles or walk through gates at the S end at Elk Gardens & then N of the Scales before you head down towards Old Orchard (& S of the Scales towards Wise) but I wouldn't think that WHOLE area is fenced in? Is it???
    Yes. Fencing is required for a grazing permit. Apparently that's one of the issues with getting ranchers to graze up there -- they have to maintain the fence.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

++ New Posts ++