WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Need help with Fontana Mail Drop

What are my options? It is well documented that you need to resupply at Fontana before entering 5 days in GSMNP, but I was wondering if the mail drop had to go to the Village, or if either the Bait Shop or Visitors Center on the trail will hold packages. Any suggestions?

Garlic
    Images

Actually you do not HAVE to resupply at Fontana. I did not. I got a trail-angel ride into the full-service town of Robbinsville from Stecoah Gap. That added 15 trail miles to the food carry, but it worked out fine for me. It's probably an easy hitch if no angels offer a ride.

Journal Entries

Well, you could carry your food from NOC. Not impossible.
    You can pay for a shuttle service to bring you your food package if you mail it to them. (Hike Inn)
    You can stay at the Hike Inn, and they will take you to robbinsville for dinner, and you can resupply there.
    You can hitch to robbinsville.
    You can hitch to the village (you will have to) resupply from the village store without a mail drop.
    You can stay at the lodge at Fontana village and mail your package there

Get 3 days worth at Fontana Village at their store. Hike to Newfound Gap, get a hitch or one of the rides in to Gatlinburg and get another 2/3 days worth of food to go on thru the park. Or, there is enough at the Village Store at Fontana to get you thru the park.

Journal Entries
    Images

I would call or email them to be safe to see where to mail it to. It is your best option to send yourself a package there & chill to watch the weather before you head up in elevation. If the weathers bad, you can always hang out at the Hilton for a day or two. Here's their info:

300 Woods Road
    Fontana Dam, North Carolina 28733
    828-498-2211
    Toll Free: 800-849-2258
    [email protected]
    Take Time to Watch the Trees Dance with The Wind........Then Join In........

I used the Hike Inn, really good service. They do a dinner run/resupply into Robinsville each evening. We got there early and they were going into Robinsville to get some lunch so got an extra trip as well - more junk food.

Taz

Just sent on to the Visitors Center. They were wonderful - Address as follows: Fontana Dam Visitors Center, Hwy 28, Fontana Dam, NC 28733 (This worked good for us because the visitor's center was open but it had JUST opened in early April. If someone reading this sends a package there before April next year it is best to call ahead to be sure when the visitors center opens.)

Quote Originally Posted by peanutbutter546 View Post
    Just sent on to the Visitors Center. They were wonderful - Address as follows: Fontana Dam Visitors Center, Hwy 28, Fontana Dam, NC 28733 (This worked good for us because the visitor's center was open but it had JUST opened in early April. If someone reading this sends a package there before April next year it is best to call ahead to be sure when the visitors center opens.)
    Thanks PB. That's the answer I was hoping for. ;-)

++ New Posts ++