WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default How reasonable is it to buy real food and hurry back to the trail?

Subject pretty much says it all: How reasonable is it to buy real food and hurry back to the trail?

I have this idea in my head that I can get to a town, buy some eggs, bacon, loaf of bread, or any type of real food for that matter and get back near the trail where i can setup up a zero day with out spending money at a resteraunt.

Buy food and hurry back to the trail? Well, yeah, if you dont run into a bunch of buddies with better ideas, like pizza and beer.

Images

Default yes

Quote Originally Posted by Husko
    I have this idea in my head that I can get to a town, buy some eggs, bacon, loaf of bread, or any type of real food for that matter and get back near the trail where i can setup up a zero day with out spending money at a resteraunt.
    It's all possible! Depending on your location, of course. It's possible in places to hike, go into town resupply, check your email and all that and still do a 20 mile day - so I wouldn't worry about it.

-Jay
    Journal * Photos
    "The longer I live, the more I read, the more patiently I think, and the more anxiously I inquire, the less I seem to know.... Do justly. Love mercy. Walk humbly. This is enough." -John Adams

Rocket GA->ME '04
    Images

Possible, for sure. As somebody else mentioned, you can often hitch into town, do a bunch of things, then hitch back out and end up hiking a decent distance. So if you're doing a zero, it's even easier to do.

That's an easy thing to do, and many people do it. I don't know about eggs and bacon, though. That's a new kind of backpacking food!

Regards,
    -MacGyver
    GA-->ME

Subject pretty much says it all: How reasonable is it to buy real food and hurry back to the trail?

Very possible, and done by some quite often.

GA-VA 2005, VA-CT 2007, CT-ME ??
    Images

No problem at all. Just takes some self-control!
    -Mark

Husko,
    Plan ahead and bank on spending $ in diners and such. This way when your starving to death, you won't go in the hole shelling it out! You'll make many stops along the way and it usually depends on how you feel at the moment. It's super easy to drop a load of cash on town runs between food, food, and food. How ever you re-supply.
    Set youself up with a pizza fund or beer fund or hotel fund or whatever. Then you can stop over and rest without running out of $

It might take a little more planning to hit the real grocery stores. I at times supplied at outfitters and gas station type places which obviously wouldn't have what you are looking for. But it's definitely doable.
    <A HREF="http://www.jackielbolen.blogspot.com/"TARGET="Jackie's BLOG">http://www.jackielbolen.blogspot.com/</A>

Images

I won't give you advice on that, but whatever you do, either go to the store on a full stomach or with a strict list. If you don't, you'll regret it later!
    Just hike.

++ New Posts ++