WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

I will have to try that .

3 cheeseburgers, large fries and a six pack of beer.....but that don't happen often.

Clueless Weekender
    Journal Entries

Breakfast: Coffee is a must. A little hot water dashed into dehydrated berries, and dumped over instant oatmeal. (Or if I have time, steam-baked muffins)
    Lunch: Soppressata, cheese, the little brioche toasts that Trader Joe's sells. Or whatever I have in my snack bag.
    Snacks: Dried fruits, nuts, M&M's, Clif bars (can't stand the peanut ones, though!), pretzels, ...
    Supper: Dal bhaat tarkari. It's what keeps the Sherpas going. It's not too hard to make from scratch even on the trail.
    Dessert: This one takes some explanation.

Take angel food cake, slice it thin, run it through the dehydrator.
    Pack instant vanilla pudding (with powdered milk, I can never seem to find Nido around here, even at Wally World).
    Pack freeze dried fruit (I like berries or pineapple), coconut, and one envelope of the instant hot chocolate that you make with milk. (NOT the just-add-water kind).

On the trail. Make the pudding and set aside.
    Take the last of the water that you heated for supper. Throw some over the freeze-dried fruit to start it reconstituting, and with the last of it, make a chocolate sauce with the cocoa. Just dribble a little bit over the powder and knead. It's the right consistency when it will pour rather than just gum up in the envelope.

The pudding will set up while you're eating dinner. When you're ready, stir the coconut into the pudding. Pour the cake crumbs in, and dump the hot fruit and juice over the cake crumbs. Drizzle the chocolate over everything.

Some of the cake will be soggy and full of fruit juice, some will be cakelike, some will still be crunchy. Probe with your spork and find out!

This dessert rivals a fancy dessert at an expensive restaurant in town. On trail, it's ambrosia.

(I'm a pretty fair trail cook. I have to be, to keep my hiking partners coming back. It's an incentive to put up with a slowpoke and a smartass.)
    I always know where I am. I'm right here.

I forgot another great one... Instead of Tuna (or with if you want) Annies Deluxe Mac and Cheese (with rice pasta), cover in 4 TBS crushed almonds. 1340 delicious Calories.

Does anyone carry Citadel Spread anymore?
    Chris

Hiking is like a shower......a couple of wrong turns can get you in hot water

Mountain House lasagna. I love this stuff!

B-Nido, water, Carnation instance breakfast (choc) and two packs of instant coffee

L-Chicken salad on crackers or flour tortillas. Can of chicken, packs of mayo, pack of hot sauce, pack of lemon juice, slivered almonds, salt, pepper and tarragon. Add craisins if you wish.

S-made at home spaghetti mac. All dehydrated separately. 1/4 jar of sauce (leather), 1/4 lb of hamburger meat, 1/4 box of large elbows, 1/4 jar of green olives, sun dried tomatoes, dash of salt, pepper, and any other seasoning. (I dehydrate all at once and make four meals).

I also like Tasty Bites Indian food pouches. I dehydrate them and rehydrate them with jasmine rice and a few dehydrated veggies. I get two meals out of one pouch.

Steak and Lobster is always a winner.

Quote Originally Posted by swisscross View Post
    B-Nido, water, Carnation instance breakfast (choc) and two packs of instant coffee

L-Chicken salad on crackers or flour tortillas. Can of chicken, packs of mayo, pack of hot sauce, pack of lemon juice, slivered almonds, salt, pepper and tarragon. Add craisins if you wish.

S-made at home spaghetti mac. All dehydrated separately. 1/4 jar of sauce (leather), 1/4 lb of hamburger meat, 1/4 box of large elbows, 1/4 jar of green olives, sun dried tomatoes, dash of salt, pepper, and any other seasoning. (I dehydrate all at once and make four meals).

I also like Tasty Bites Indian food pouches. I dehydrate them and rehydrate them with jasmine rice and a few dehydrated veggies. I get two meals out of one pouch.

Steak and Lobster is always a winner.
    Love the steak and Lobster, its always good to hear other people menu...

Lots of people are using the Knoors rice sides. Can you just add boiling water to that in a ziploc and let it "cook" like the dehydrated meals? Don't want to have to carry a cookpot and utensils also.

Quote Originally Posted by Airgirl View Post
    Lots of people are using the Knoors rice sides. Can you just add boiling water to that in a ziploc and let it "cook" like the dehydrated meals? Don't want to have to carry a cookpot and utensils also.
    Yes. You need a pot to boil water and one utensil though. You need a spoon. This is the one I use.

http://www.cascadedesigns.com/msr/co...ensils/product

Also, use a brand name freezer bag. Most use the quart size. I find the pint size sufficient. It allows for a smaller cozy, easier access, and is lighter. Repackage the meals into freezer bags while in town. No reason to carry the original packaging.
    Last edited by BirdBrain; 04-17-2015 at 15:44.
    In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. - Abraham Lincoln

Quote Originally Posted by Airgirl View Post
    I have been experimenting with some off Knoors meals some are really good like the Thai Curry was awesome I did find some you are better to soak in cold water for 20 min to let them rehydrate ... few off the bear creek are good also just take longer to cook....

GAME 06

One place where I really do try to watch weight is on food supplies so I pretty much never haul anything that is heavy (which basically means it has water in it). So for me the various meats mentioned - sausage, tuna packs, anything like that are not considered. But one of the nice things about all of the cheezy (pun intended) resupply points like convenience stores and gas stations is that they are loaded with bunches of flavors of jerky - as well as the regular grocery stores. Since one does need lots of extra protein this for me is the prefect source - great taste and very low weight. I take the jerky when i am cooking any of the ramen, knorr, lipton, rice dishes and put little pieces in the water so it hydrates some and gives the water more flavor. Then as the dish heats and hydrates the jerky gets even softer and adds more flavor. Works great for me. I save all other kinds of meats for town stops.

I also always carry Fritoes as they are incredibly calorie dense and loaded with fat and salt - which we need lots of on the trail and not so much off the trail lol. I only use a stove once a day for the above type of meal and the rest of the time the usual stuff.

Sometimes I buy a pack of tortillas, a squeeze bottle of peanut butter, a small box of raisins and make peanut butter and raisin tacos for lunch with fritos as a side. Yumm! for awhile and then I get tired of it for a couple of weeks.

I do eat a lot of cliff/power bars and granola bars and sometimes the gorp type stuff or snickers, but only because I have to. I don't like any of that stuff. I often have pop tarts for breakfast because they are fast and quiet. I am usually hiking before the sun clears the horizon so I don't mess around with a stove in the morning - and I get to see about twice as many animals as everyone who sleeps in!

One heavy food item I find essential is oil. So I buy a very small bottle of olive oil when I can find it and transfer it to a small plastic bottle I keep in my food bag. I put a pretty generous amount of oil in every one of the items I cook. Huge calories and the dishes cook much better!

Everything is oriented towards the the highest ratio of calories to weight. Flavor is mostly a secondary concern - as the cliff and powerbars attest too

My 2 night meal plan.

Breakfast: cliff bars, oat meal, instant coffee, and aleve.....

Lunch: spinach wraps, packaged tuna, single serve packets of mayo, relish, and honey. Also peanut butter and jelly. Sometimes i'll pack a block of cheese and a bagel.

Dinner meals:

lemon pepper pasta: 1. Angle hair or thin spaghetti. 2. pepper 3. oregano 4. olive oil 5. lemon juice 6. Parmesan cheese liberal amount.

pack: noodles in a ziplock bag. Mix pepper oregano and cheese in a bag. combine oil and lemon juice in a small container or ziplock bag.

cook: boil noodles strain then mix everything. It's delicious. I've cooked it at home just because I like it so much.

LnR: 1. Lentils 2. rice 3. summer sausage 4. carrots 5. onion 6. bell pepper 7. hot sauce 8. salt 9. CHEESE

pack: lentils and rice in a bag, summer sausage in a bag, chop carrots onion and bell pepper in a bag.

Cook: boil lentils and rice for 10 mins add rest boil for 10 more add a liberal amount of cheese then hot sauce and salt to taste.

Journal Entries

Food carried out of town like a hamburger or subway or cold pizza.

I am always willing to eat peanut butter/tortillas, trail mix, cheese, beef sticks, jerky, candy bars. There are times i cant choke down pasta dinners or mountain house.
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 05-10-2015 at 10:27.

The one thing I never got tired of on my Amicalola to Damascus hike was a package of Stuffing with canned chicken and bacon bits. Extremely filling and delicious! But seriously - add bacon to everything (only the 'real' bacon bits of course)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++