WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Poll: What do you wear on your feet while fording?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    Images

I don't worry about getting my light-hikers wet, but I do remove my socks and footbeds from the shoes before crossing, which greatly speeds up the drying process. No need for camp shoes if your hiking shoes are comfortable, and I sure don't see why anyone would hike in less than comfortable shoes!

Are these trail-runners referred to above just running shoes for the trail, but you all are using them just for hiking? I used Merrell hiking shoes on my last section hike, but they stayed pretty damp after a hard rain. I'm wondering if a high-tech running shoe might dry faster. Just want to make sure I understand what you all are talking about. Can someone give me a specific model as an example? Thx.

I use New Balance 610's. Not sure how high tech they are. They have done fine from Baxter to Vermont. No way I am hiking in anything heavier than those.
    In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. - Abraham Lincoln

Images

Salomon XA Comp, Inov8 Roclite, that sort of thing. Synthetic, lots of mesh.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Tundracamper View Post
    Are these trail-runners referred to above just running shoes for the trail, but you all are using them just for hiking? I used Merrell hiking shoes on my last section hike, but they stayed pretty damp after a hard rain. I'm wondering if a high-tech running shoe might dry faster. Just want to make sure I understand what you all are talking about. Can someone give me a specific model as an example? Thx.
    These are what i use in warm weather for backpacking. Light weight synthetic, no leather, lots of mesh, lots of ventilation, dries fast. I also have a couple of pairs of real boots that I use when it's below freezing.

La Sportiva Wildcat
    http://m.rei.com/product/781685/la-s...ing-shoes-mens
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
++ New Posts ++