WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Map realignment on Gila Riveroute

For you NOBO hikers taking the Gila route, there is a small map change that might be of interest. This is at Guthook Mile 82.0 (SOBO 23.5) which is BC waypoint G-0820XX. Instead of leaving the canyon and bushwhacking up the steep, rocky hillside, continue on for about 1/4 mile to a small pond. This is identified on BC map 11G 79.0-85.5 as Gail Tank. I was there yesterday and there is a strong flow of decent water coming out of the pond. Cross the dam and turn sharply left and uphill to G-082RR where the trail follows FS road 652 and carry on as usual. Once on the road it is dry for a while so this might be a good place to camel up and fill bottles. There is a well defined animal path leading up, (complete with a herd of elk yesterday) and it's much easier than the current alignment. I walked all over it and collected a GPS track, and this will be shown on future Guthook and Bearcreek maps.

Enjoy!

Other than what you described above, how is the trail on the Gila alternate route? I heard that it flooded terribly a couple/three years back and annihilated the trail...but I'm not really sure if that is accurate and if so, for how long of a stretch of trail. Is it pretty clear sailing, other than the 100 Gila crossings, all the way to Doc Campbell's?

Don't really know, but the few people who have done it are reporting good going.

Images

Sorry Bearcreek, but where is that in the book? Which segment? Thanks! Apple (heading for Lordsburg in 4 days to help shuttle hikers)

It's the Gila Alternate route. No segments. It is in the Alternates Book, not the regular book, which only covers the official CDNST. I am helping shuttle on Monday - might see you then.
    Last edited by bearcreek; 04-16-2015 at 17:15.

++ New Posts ++